1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Envy List

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by deep, Oct 15, 2005.

1. deep

deep TRIBE Member

2. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Obviously since it's a Fortune magazine, they are envying people who are rich.

Personally, that is a tough question. I don't actively envy someone or something. There are things that other people own, are a member of, have experienced, etc, that I find desirable, so I suppose that would make me envious. However, nothing really stands out.

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Ah, but if it were just about being rich, the list would be closer to Forbes' . Did you take a look at the commentaries or just knee jerk it ? ;)

Perhaps a better way of phrasing the question would be who do you admire? For their perspectives, principles, contributions, accomplishments, rock paper scissors ability, etc.

4. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Yes, a bit. I took a quick look at the list and they all looked rich/popular. :) So I felt like the question was contextualized based on that list, and not more generally, as per:

Right, exactly. Like I mentioned above, I think that there are things that I could come up with that would make me envious of them, but it is all based on what I perceive as shortcomings of my own personality, etc. Whether it is intelligence, good looks, athletic ability, experiences in life, and so forth, while I may wish to improve some of those aspects, it is not something that I project onto other people -- if there was one dimension I had to choose, it would be knowledge. I am always wanting to learn more, so if I could just know everything, then I would be perfectly happy. Right at the top of Maslow's little hierarchy.

5. dvs

dvs TRIBE Promoter

but are they happy??

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get." - h. jackson brown, jr.

;)

d

6. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Are you making an excuse for being presumptuous? ;)

I'm don't think that saying one admires someone is necessarily an admission of failure or comparative lesser worth.

In my experience, it is conversely both the very secure and the people who think nothing of themselves who are able to readily admire something in others. For the former, it's not a zero sum issue, where one person has clearly won, the other lost. More complements than competitors. I think it also entails humility, reminds people of one reason to respect others - that despite what lies mom might have said, we don't have it perfect in every regard.

Do you not think it's a bit of a cop out to say "knowledge about everything", or to treat that as somewhat distinct from the attainment of wealth? Not that the point of asking who we admire is about whose riches we wish we had, because that wasn't the question. But I am quite positive that many of the world's wealthiest sure know and think a metric fucktonne about the world to be able to get where they are.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  7. miss riot

miss riot TRIBE Promoter

Natalie Portman, that fucking two-bit bitch is dating my man gael garcia bernal. I guess I envy her, more so I wish to end her bad acting career & kill her.

8. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i found that list was comprised of people that they admired, not necessarily envied

who would want to be chris rock? i mean really ..

9. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

you shush, natalie portman > *.most

10. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

No. :)

Ok, yes. :(

I absolutely agree. When speaking of envy, I interpret that as having goals that are selfish and ego-centered.

When speaking of admiration, its expression could easily be interpreted as being selfless and entirely lacking in any ego-centric qualities.

So my explanation above adheres more to envy rather than admiration.

I think that having a desire for knowledge can be mutually exclusive of having a desire for wealth, yes.

I also do not think there is a necessary causal link there either. At best, it is correlative.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

hehe... he said "jerk it"... hehe...

hehe....

12. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Desires are different from actually holding either. Desire is unrealized, possession is attained. In my experience, there are cases of those who attain wealth without having attained the knowledge or expended the thought and legwork to earn it. But there are also those who had to possess all three. Many times, the existence of such people is ignored more for egoprotective reasons rather than because they are the exception to the rule. It's convenient to dismiss most rich people as being born with a silver spoon in mouth, more humiliating to acknowledge they might know or have thought more some matters than we have. The obvious counter is that they care about things that are not worth caring about. This is also a cop out.

To take a step back from this direction, I can appreciate how the thread title and first link would have implied that this thread was about lusting after riches. Using more appropriate language as well as providing different examples would have made things clearer.

For me personally there are two examples that clearly jump out to me.

One is a business associate who I will leave nameless, not because they are fictional but out of respect. Less importantly, this person has an illustrious history of performance, starting something from scratch, throwing themselves headlong at every challenge they faced, and being rewarded later for their efforts with millions.

More importantly, they managed to do this while being a great human being. Easily they are one of the most soft spoken and humble individuals I have met. I don't find it surprising that it is so much easier to find people with so much more ego despite having accomplished so much less. That tends to be the way it goes. This person, in contrast, well, you never encounter anyone who says they were treated with disrespect by them.

This person loves and takes care of their family and friends, balances their attention between the things important in their life. Currently pours their energy into giving back to others what was given to them, because they sorted out how to pay their bills earlier in their life and don't need to make that their prime focus. Always treats people as though they've got time for them. Still has energy to pour into other feats of endurance like running. All of this done with the trademark humility and kindness.

The second individual I admire is in comparison fictional. Jack motherfucking Bauer. If there's a better or equal real example of someone who no matter how fucked up the circumstances are still slugs it out, I'd admire them for that capacity too. Some more thought about the matter I'm sure would produce results, but in my experience, the most disciplined and tough individuals tend to not make a big deal about it. They're just about getting shit done.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  13. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I envy Tory from the Mythbusters. He gets to play with toys all fucking day and he gets paid for it. Plus he works with Kari, one of the hottest chicks on TV.

14. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Not to devalue your thoughtful post in any way, but would you possibly summarize this as a general respect for people with great humility?

15. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i am so with you.

*grumble grumble*

or maybe i just wanna do her.

16. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Yeap, that's a good executive summary. With the added modifier of having done many great things. Which is where most people would have let their ego grow to reflect their accomplishments.

Cynicism wonders if it's just a very polished but still feigned business act, but the fact is that anyone who meets him across a variety of circumstances invariably says the same thing. I'm sure there are cases where it didn't hold up. But I think that's where a big difference between people becomes apparent. Most of us can find it easy to act with kindness or respect when it's easy to do so, the great hold up better and longer when it's not easy to do so.

17. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

bono - rock star - must be fun to be so talented, adored by millions and have the influence and ability to affect positive change in the world.

larry harvey - founder, burning man festival - an inspiration to thousands who made millions by having fun, preaching acceptance/creativity and burning things.

tom brady - quarterback, new england patriots - what a fun life he must lead.

joss whedon - the man created buffy, angel, firefly/serenity, and he gets to write the 'ultimate x-men' comic book series. 'nuff said.

thomas keller - often called 'the best chef on the planet.' regardless of whether it's actually true or not, imagine owning the hottest restaurants in the world and being able to eat the best-tasting everything everyday and all the time.

brandon routh - i want to be superman.

18. vox

vox TRIBE Member

that relationship ended AGES ago. now she's dating some heeb.

19. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I envy Dominic Monaghan because he used to be the lead singer for DRIVESHAFT.

You all everybody!

20. miss riot

miss riot TRIBE Promoter

I don't think so. My friend Mel saw them at a synagogue in Madrid last week & considering the play-by-play of the situation and conversation she gave me, they're definitely together. What a skunt, getting him to go to partake in Yom Kippur, he must really be in her. :mad:

21. I could live with their misery or lack of happiness.

22. freshest1

freshest1 TRIBE Member

My mother- a pillar of self-discipline
    Samuel Jackson- dude gets to deliver badass lines and is paid a king’s ransom for it.
    Wayne Gretzky- successful in all areas of his life
    Rodney Mullen- skateboard’s better than me in my dreams
    Jean Chretien- the man knew how to run the big show
    Lennox Lewis- I would just love to punch someone that hard.
    Douglas Copland- gets to write for a living, has a ton of artistic freedom.
    Alexd- holds the banhammer

23. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

PIERRE TRUDEAU

But he's dead now.

And I'm undecided if I like his kids or not. Leaning towards "no".

-jM
    A&D

24. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Well Hallow's eve is upcoming. You'll have a chance to be him to the exact extent Brandon was. Minus of course the fancy hollywood production/fame/fortune/hookers/blackjack etc.

25. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

people who push the limits in whatever they do, just about everything has a cool factor whether you're quilting or surfing tsunamis, the people who are the best at what they do, who innovate in their chosen fields, that's who I envy.