• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

enunciating

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
any tips?
i have been periodically doing the princess role at work. now that i have my lines, placement and emotions down pat my show manager said i need to work on really tasting and prononcing my words. he said to think about getting my lips away from my teeth. even though i talk in character (with an accent, high girly voice) i still sound like a small town canadian girl. however, when i enunciate it sounds patronizing, and i totally lose my character. i'm doing it again this sat. i'd like to show him i have been working on what he told me to do.

any suggestions?

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Practice in front of a mirror and watch yer mouth

do it naked and take pics too ;)

P.S I have no idea what I'm talking about

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
put marbles or kleenex in your mouth and say your line a whole bunch of times before the show, then when it comes time take it out and you'll be amazed how clear your speech is.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Ooh, I love that movie!

"Lots of Choclates fo me to eat, lots of coal makin' lotso eat!"

I heard practicing with a cork in your mouth works.

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
in school we learned that when practicing line or working on an accent it better to say you lines in a monotonous voice.......this will let you naturally fill in the appropriate accent and work on enounciating

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
rob: grand idea your majesty! however i feel this fai maiden has not the parts need to stretch a ball sack. return to me in a fortenight with another idea my lord.

you know how stupid it feels trying to pronounce every letter in a word?

yarg.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Wait, are you supposed to have an accent, or just be speaking really clearly?
Nevermind, re-read your posts.

Truly something useful you can do is tape yourself talking the lines over and over again for about 1/2 hour.

Then replay the tape for yourself. By the end, if you sound like a retard, you should change it up a bit.

Best yet, listen to people who have the accent you want to achieve and even better, have someone with a similar accent listen to, and correct you as you make mistakes.

Last edited:

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
k sorry..lets clarify.
i can speak the accent fine (for what we need) its the speaking clearly and saying every word to the letter that i need help with.

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
i dont need ot learn to speak with an accent!!!! (and its a spanish castle)

haha. this is so unnecessarily complicated.

thankyou though, marcia. ima go to that website for the hell of it.

Say your lines on a tape that's at the back of a big room.
Keep enunciating more and more clearly up until the point that you think you sound ridiculous.
Listen to it.
Or just get someone to coach you, that's your best bet. It's virtually impossible to hear yourself as you're doing it with complete objectivity to what you're doing.

You might think you sound stupid, but really, it's the level of over-clarity that's required for a large cavernous room like the one you'll be performing in.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
off topic but...

hey SUNKIST, Tearer and I were at the show on friday and we saw you there. I didn't realize you work with one of my best friend's Jenn at the stables. We were actually there with her and her boyfriend for his birthday in the red section, Rob was our knight. small world.

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
haha thats awesome! i knew jen watched the show, i was looking for her-i thought she was in red and yellow.
go medieval times! :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories