• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

emoticons in the real world

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
big fan of some of them on msg boards or chat but in work related emails?

Drives me up the wall, it's unprofessional, inappropriate, overly familar.

The trigger for this rant is just logged in to check work mail and was cc:d on a string originating from van after hours friday, it's horrible, different emotions revealed through colons and brackets...there's no way that's acceptable in the professional world, we're generally bound by offers made in emails, where should emotion play any part?

I told one guy one time that using 8 (yes 8) question marks at the end of a single question in the first email he'd ever sent me (we'd never spoken on the phone either) was not appreciated.

They're appearing more often and from men, I can almost tolerate it from a woman but it's still incredibly irritating no matter the source.

There should be a law.

can i get an amen?

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
dicksherwood said:
I told one guy one time that using 8 (yes 8) question marks at the end of a single question in the first email he'd ever sent me (we'd never spoken on the phone either) was not appreciated.
What the heck are you talking about????????

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
hey I can't explain it but when the offender of the finer sex there's just a shake of the head, when it's a guy though the ranting and raving begins.

seriously though i don't give a fck about how someone feels about an offer, whether they're happy or sad about when we can deliver, they either accept it or they don't...if you want to commit a complaint or register satisfaction to text you don't use a gaddam emoticon, spell it out...van damme!

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
daddyiwantchocolate said:
haha, coming from someone who's an expert on innappropriateness, this must be a pretty fucking big deal!

omg!!!!

lolzini!!!

hahaha, im talking about in workplace communications silly

:p :D ch33se technics1200

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
i hate to say it, but i feel the same.

see you kinda expect email from women to be laced with butterflies, baby teddybears and the very latest in annoying "emoticons".

when you see it from a guy it's unnerving, unsettling, and unacceptable.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
ravinjunkie said:
I like how you would tolerate from a woman but not from a man.

yay you.
maybe its sexual emoticon (sexicon?) harassment.

or maybe dudes should never show any emotion, even in ascii form.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
i hate to say it, but i feel the same.

see you kinda expect email from women to be laced with butterflies, baby teddybears and the very latest in annoying "emoticons".

when you see it from a guy it's unnerving, unsettling, and unacceptable.
I don't accept any emails that are not fully covered in jizz.

shu.d.d.der

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Yes, butterflies and flowers on office wide emails are not acceptable.

Also, teddy bears, babies, dogs, cats, old people, and rainbows should be banned.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
maybe its sexual emoticon (sexicon?) harassment.

or maybe dudes should never show any emotion, even in ascii form.
duke nukem showed his manly emotions...

heheh sexicon harassment

watch, i bet there will be a lawsuit coming up very soon.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
dicksherwood said:
They're appearing more often and from men, I can almost tolerate it from a woman but it's still incredibly irritating no matter the source.

There should be a law.

can i get an amen?
Hell no. I never use emoticons and emotion in work emails and barely do so in personal emails ... neither do my female friends & co-workers. You're so stuck in your own double standards that aren't based in reality it makes me wonder how you can be a man of my generation.