• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Eminem on the EDGE????????

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
I get in my car, start it up and the radio comes on. I hear Eminem singing his new song from his movie. I look at the dash and press the preset for Q107. It's a commercial. I press the preset for Edge 102. It's Eminem. I couldn't believe it. So I thought it was an ad. Nope. I thought it was a spoof. Nope.

Are they really that desparate for ratings that they've taken to playing Eminem?

Who's next, Pink?

Stop Bill C-10

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
i made a buhhh? sound when i heard that a few weeks back

remember when they started playing the nu-metallica about 6 years ago?

kmac

TRIBE Member
Yeah, they started playing that song awhile ago. It's funny to hear people calling the station and leaving these outraged messages about Eminem on the Edge.

I don't know... Eminem's new song is not that different from Linkin Park or P.O.D. or Limp Bizkit or any other rap/metal/rock song.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I started a thread about this a few weeks back...I sent an e-mail to Kneale Mann about it and he claimed that "The Edge doesn't play the same song as other stations," (yeah, that's why the 8 Mile album is #1) and that I could call him about my "concerns." Whatever. I just permanently stopped listening to that station. Apparently this Eminem song is on the "modern rock" charts. I dunno, to me just because it has guitars that doesn't mean it's rock. Christina Aguilera has some rock'ish songs on her new album, are they going to play her too?

~jen

labRat

TRIBE Member
just because someone's hot, doesn't mean that they should be played on the Edge.

i mean, seriously. if they folllowed that rationale - all you'd hear is David Hasselhoff and John Tesh and Michael Bolton all day long.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yea, welcome to corporate media.

The outrage doesnt stem from the idea that Eminem sucks, he's great at what he does, but I know people that listen to 102.1 BECAUSE of it's lack of hip-hop and void of the image asociated with that.

I can totally understand the outrage, but it's an obvious fact that radio in this city sucks goat balls. And there is nothing that can be done cuz it's some dumb old money hungy fat-cat at the top who makes the decisions.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *labRat*
just because someone's hot, doesn't mean that they should be played on the Edge.

i mean, seriously. if they folllowed that rationale - all you'd hear is David Hasselhoff and John Tesh and Michael Bolton all day long.

Now is that 'hot' as in good looking or 'hot' as in the music is really popular???

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS

I can totally understand the outrage, but it's an obvious fact that radio in this city sucks goat balls. And there is nothing that can be done cuz it's some dumb old money hungy fat-cat at the top who makes the decisions.

Well thank god for the college radio stations in Toronto that tend to play real music that isnt on any pop charts

Adam

TRIBE Member
The Edge frequently supports the rap/hip hop community. Well, as long as your white.

1) Eminem
2) Beastie Boys

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
The Edge frequently supports the rap/hip hop community. Well, as long as your white.

1) Eminem
2) Beastie Boys

Beestie boys were originally a punk/skater group.. and went back to those roots in their 90's material.. not even in the same category as eminem, who is widely known as hip-hop artist.

But I guess his recent project has moved him more to the POP status if anything.

And I guess that's the only way 102.1 can really try to justify it.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by wayne bradbury

Well thank god for the college radio stations in Toronto that tend to play real music that isnt on any pop charts

I'm glad someone notices and realizes that this is the only outlet left in canadian media for REAL music diversity.

Hope you all remember that come fundraising time.

:D :D :D

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
I'm glad someone notices and realizes that this is the only outlet left in canadian media for REAL music diversity.

Or the indie-online way.

..but yeah, anyone who thinks commercial radio is anything but moneymaking pap is a tool.

BBB.

Fuck commercial radio.