• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ellen Page Comes Out in Fabulous Speech

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Really? Is she so preposterous to presuppose that her, "career", "existence", has had a PROFOUND influence on the human condition?

Well there's a whole bunch of hubris there.

She's just a fucking actor, the easiest and most overpaid job in the world. Who cares if she happens to be gay?

For us regular gay people, who don't get on podiums on red carpets, but who keep the machinery of the daily economy working, we say "boo hoo" little lesbian, join the ranks and do something more productive than a few crappy movies.

-jM
A&D

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Wishful thinking the perverted director of "Blue is the Warmest Color" does a sequel in English and casts Ellen as one of the lead lesbians in the movie. LOL

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Amongst my friends in the LGBTQ community the reaction was surprise. They already thought she was out, or knew about it. It was a good speech and as an actor, she can make a difference for kids who watch her films. As more and more people are coming out, posting youtube videos about their experiences, making films etc., the far right conservatives are losing ground.

Twenty years ago when talking about gay rights, the majority of the class would snicker. Three years ago, one kid snorted, and the rest of the class looked at him in horror. Progress.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Amongst my friends in the LGBTQ community the reaction was surprise. They already thought she was out, or knew about it. It was a good speech and as an actor, she can make a difference for kids who watch her films. As more and more people are coming out, posting youtube videos about their experiences, making films etc., the far right conservatives are losing ground.

Twenty years ago when talking about gay rights, the majority of the class would snicker. Three years ago, one kid snorted, and the rest of the class looked at him in horror. Progress.

Pfff. You want your kid watching "hard candy"? Hey, pork swords?

The most interesting thing about this debacle, if you can call it that, is I learned she's also Canadian. Like pork sword Michael Sera.

What is it with Canadians and being homo? Mofo, do you have your PR yet?

On a more serious note, why is being gay or coming out such a big issue anymore? I understand that it's difficult and emotional to "come out" but in these days, it shouldn't be.

That being said, who is going to international pride 2014 WOOT WOOT!!!

-Jm
a&d

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I think it has something to do with all the gay bashing and bullshit morality laws on the books throughout the world. Just guessing tho'

Yeah, the fact that there's a lack of openly gay spokespeople in positions of influence (and yes, an actor with a career like hers does qualify as influencing our popular culture) makes this significant, is a sign of progress and challenges people's perceptions of what the LGBTQ community and who is a part of it, especially when it comes to the more sheltered or closed off parts of the United States or Western society who aren't as progressively minded when it comes to sexual orientation.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Watch how Ellen DeGeneres will be pat herself on the back and be so proud of herself, if she's lucky enough to land the other Ellen before anyone else for talk shows. I just hope Jimmy Fallon doesn't get her first with him taking over the Tonight Show this week.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I think it has something to do with all the gay bashing and bullshit morality laws on the books throughout the world. Just guessing tho'

Well you see kind sir, this is why I don't bother with "the law".

We all know it's arbitrary and in my case, made by lesser intellects. Often they wear strange ties. (<-- not a proper sentence)

Laws should have nothing to do with "morality". We are not Saudi Arabia, nor a Kingdom (oh wait.....)

Let us plaster the floor with the faces of those who purport to "moralize" me.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Is it not obvious anymore who is gay?

I do not have children (thankfully).

But I can spot immediately a child who is gay. And they grow up to be gay and there is nothing wrong with it.

I can't purport to reason why or how someone is gay but I can say that it's natural and happens ALL THE TIME. It's quite beautiful actually.

-jM
A&D

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Never saw "Juno" or Ellen in any of her leading roles. Can barely remember her in that X-Men sequel as it's been years since I've seen it. I'll have to rewatch before the new film comes out soon.

The only movie that resonates in my head is "Inception" where she plays an interesting character named Ariadne. This is where I took notice of Ellen and said to myself that she's sort of attractive, but "there is something off about her". At the time of seeing that movie, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. However, in retrospect I think now it was her walk or "strut" I really didn't like. Absolutely no female swagger in any shape or form, exuding zero sexiness. It was simply too tomboyish of a walk. However, I still think she's cute and she can be coached into playing a future sexy female role.

If gay Neil Patrick Harris can fake it and play super funny womanizer Barney Stinson for a decade there is hope for Ellen! ;)

acheron

TRIBE Member
Nice speech. I didn't really register she was any kind of sexual at all, actually, she's stuck in a permanent child body so really she could be either, whatever.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
The only movie that resonates in my head is "Inception" where she plays an interesting character named Ariadne. This is where I took notice of Ellen and said to myself that she's sort of attractive, but "there is something off about her". At the time of seeing that movie, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. However, in retrospect I think now it was her walk or "strut" I really didn't like. Absolutely no female swagger in any shape or form, exuding zero sexiness. It was simply too tomboyish of a walk. However, I still think she's cute and she can be coached into playing a future sexy female role.

I'm sorry, but.. wtf??? Seriously.. you knew from her 'strut'. She can be 'coached' into playing a sexy female role. You should contact her and offer your unique perspective.

Just a thought sunshine, but she has done so. Many people don't give a rat's ass whether she's gay or not,.. or whether you like her or not.