• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

elizabeth town SUCKS ASS!

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
wow...I mean I LOVE Cameron crowe, he has made like 3 of my top 10 fav movies of all time, Fast Times and Ridgemont High, Say Anything and Almost famous...and I liked Singles and Jerry Magurie...but this, this is a low I never thought possible for him. WOW. first off lets get this VERY straight, ORLANDO BLOOM CAN NOT ACT, he is terrible...this may be the wost leading man performance in a major motion picture ever, and yes I know who Ben Affleck is...god just thinking about it now I am cringing...you know I like quirkly little slice of life films...films like grand cayon, or nobody's fool, or Garden state...this is what Crowe was aiming for and fell so short, I think better actors could have pulled off some off this material, I mean in all Cameron's films there is the show me the money, you had me at hello moments, but a good actor makes them fun....Orlando bloom tries putting so much emotion into his voice overs it hurts... and my biggest complaint is what cameron does well...usually. it is the music, the moment when some kick ass tune comes out nowhere and takes the movie away...the tiny dancer moment...during a film if this happens once or twice it is memorable...but here in this steaming piece of crap of a movie, he has like 100 of these moments and you begin to dread them...every 10 seconds....ugh. did I mention orlando bloom can't act? finally the plot...I am not even really sure what was going on...one minute it is a love story, then a dealing with dad's death story, then a road trip that goes on and on and on...and jesus did anyone really want them to get together? they are both fucked...ANNOYING people....shit this movie angered me. you know it is bad when you go there with a girl and SHE WANTS TO WALK OUT 1/2 way through...

Last edited:

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
ok seriously. After watching the trailer, what the hell made you go see it in first place?
:p

ohhh. Cameron Crowe.

ginsu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bombthreat23
WOW. first off lets get this VERY straight, ORLANDO BLOOM CAN NOT ACT, he is terrible...this may be the wost leading man performance in a major motion picture ever, and yes I know who Ben Affleck is...
Kingdom of Heaven was a huge disapointment too. I was saying he couldn't carry a movie after seeing it but was hoping he would maybe prove me wrong with this movie. I'm still going to go out for this though.

Dunst looks kinda annoying in this too, I find she's hit or miss.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
:( I really want to see this movie...

...I think I still might :)
I really wanted to see it to, I LOVED the trailer..looked good to me, I like stuff like this...USUALLY!

Aleks

TRIBE Member
wow. im glad i diden't go and see Elizabethtown..

instead i saw Grizzly Man, an interesting yet shitty/drawn out film that made me want my 2 hrs back.

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
It's sad but true Kirsten Dunst suffers from Neve Campbell Syndrome, where all the characters in her movies are exactly the same; pouty & whiney.

Poor Kirsten, please pray for her.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
'Elizabethtown': Just plain creepy
By ELEANOR RINGEL GILLESPIE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Judging from what's onscreen in "Elizabethtown," Cameron Crowe apparently came up with a really spectacular soundtrack and then remembered he had to attach a movie to it.

Thus, this hugely disappointing film, which goes beyond blunder into something akin to meltdown. A fiasco like this is simply not what we expect from the writer-director of "Almost Famous" and "Jerry Maguire."

After a disastrous screening at the Toronto International Film Festival, Crowe reportedly went back to the editing room and cut 20 minutes.

He should've kept going.

The movie is supposedly semiautobiographical. Perhaps Crowe was simply too close to the material. But it's almost impossible to believe he didn't realize at some point this miscast, incoherent comedy wasn't working. At all.

Orlando Bloom, whose career is disappearing like the elves from Middle Earth ("Kingdom of Heaven" and this in the same year?), stars as Drew Baylor, a wunderkind in the competitive athletic shoe market enjoying a very pleasant West Coast life. Until, that is, his highly-touted, must-have new model self-destructs, causing his career to self-destruct as well and costing his company (run by Alec Baldwin in his Big Biz Bully mode) close to a billion dollars.

Drew's attempted suicide by exercycle is interrupted by a phone call. His father has unexpectedly died while visiting his hometown in Kentucky. (It's called... right you are!) His mom (Susan Sarandon) and his sister (Judy Greer) ask Drew to fly there and bring the body home for cremation.

Why Drew, who hasn't been close to his father in years? Because mom has gone into a suddenly-widowed whirl of lessons: tap dancing, cooking, you name it, and sis has to stay behind to make sure she doesn't add Dr. Kevorkian 101 to the list.

Or, more realistically, if they all go, there's no movie.

Easier mandated than done. Drew boards an empty plane and collides head-on with chirpy control-freak flight attendant, Claire Colburn (Kirsten Dunst). She's determined to Turn His life Around.

If she doesn't, all the folksy folks in Elizabethtown will. Crowe intends the place to be Mayberry moved west, populating it with adorable eccentrics who loved Drew's dad and are determined to love Drew, too. No matter how hard he fights them off.

But instead of drawing you in, the Elizabeth-ians frankly make you nervous, with their contrived quirkiness and colorful down-home gumption. There's the kid with the high-pitched tea-kettle scream and the cousin with a failed rock band and another cousin who supposedly looks just like Drew (the joke being, the cousin is hayseed ugly). And let's not forget the drunken (but friendly) revelers at a wedding being held in Drew's hotel.

Everyone's friendly in that manic, over-exaggerated way you used to see in the old "Li'l Abner" comic strip (with the exception of Paula Deen as a random aunt). Or as if they've moved over from Hazzard (as in "Dukes of"). In a word, they're creepy.

However, not as creepy as Dunst, who does a wretchedly written role wretchedly. She's so deadly she makes you yearn for Barbra Streisand's pushy free spirit in "What's Up, Doc?" Then there's Bloom, formerly My Favorite Elf. Devoid of his pointy ears, he's a total blank — like an extra in his own movie. And poor Sarandon ends up tap dancing to "Moon River" at the memorial service.

Be still, my gag reflex.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
ami the only one who thought ALMOST FAMOUS wasn't good.

i found it boring to the point that it took me 3 attempts to finish watching it.

i didn't like jerry maguire either. or vanilla sky.

in fact, seeing his name as a director instantly made me ignore all commercials and hype surrounding ELIZABETHTOWN.
glad to see that others are finally coming around to the shittiness of his work.
just having a time-life best of classic rock soundtrack, full of songs that may be somewhat good, yet you've heard 1 million times anyway, does not make for a good movie.
i mean, just putting "have you ever seen the rain" or "your song" in a movie doesn't make the movie good...in fact, it cheeses the movie right out!

for the record, ALMOST FAMOUS sucked.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I found Almost Famous to be more of a bio-pic. Kinda like Aviator, except I didn't like Aviator.

Cameron Crowe's music sense is better than his film making. Plus being married to Nancy Wilson kinda rocks.

I hated Vanilla Sky, don't even remember how it ended. Tom Cruise was a poor choice for that role IMO.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
ebert, roeper and fleaflo all liked it very much.

i'll watch it when it hits tmn.

in the meantime, if you're reading this thread and you haven't seen SERENITY yet, what the hell is wrong with you?

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweetdaddy
glad to see that others are finally coming around to the shittiness of his work.
umm you have seen Fast Times at Ridgemont high, and Say Anything right? the shittiness of his work..I never thought I would hear someone say that whose resume includes those films...
g.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension

I hated Vanilla Sky, don't even remember how it ended. Tom Cruise was a poor choice for that role IMO.
I normally hate Tom Cruise but I like him in that movie, and I really liked that movie as well.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
umm you have seen Fast Times at Ridgemont high, and Say Anything right? the shittiness of his work..I never thought I would hear someone say that whose resume includes those films...
g.
those movies are lame.
good for nothing but sunday afternoon CTV air-filler.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
ORLANDO BLOOM CAN NOT ACT
You understand that by making this statement, you are saying that Kirsten Dunst CAN ACT.

Not that i really care...

Originally posted by junglegirl
but kirsten hardly ever wears a bra - thats a good thing :D
sexactly.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
You understand that by making this statement, you are saying that Kirsten Dunst CAN ACT.
compared to Orlando bloom she is amazing...still there is no chemistry at all between them...this movie really needs to be seen to be belived.