• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Electrician: student co-op placement?

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Hey y'all, my husband is taking this course: | Electrical Practices | Collège Boréal and is looking for a co-op placement this summer (May to August).

Any suggestions/leads Tribe can provide? We've been "cold" emailing companies with his resumé, to no avail. He's a first year student -- he just needs summer on-the-job experience. He has a car, so he's willing to travel within the GTA.

You'd think with all these buildlings going up in the core, finding an electrician gig would be easy!! :\

Jme

TRIBE Member
Hi Mariazmes I am in the construction field doing carpentry. I build custom homes from the ground up. Through my personal experience I have never received a job worth while by sending out a resume. In this line of field a resume does not work. People want to see your face and get a feel for you. My advice would be to volunteer through Habitat for humanity or another community build. There you will meet like minded individuals who are also contractors/builders etc. Everyone has contacts and if you are willing to give your time to help others they have respect for that. Also if your husband finds a company he likes and they seem to be on the fence about hiring or not tell them you will work for the first week for $5 an hour. May sound crazy but believe me it works! They know you are very serious and if you turn out to be a total f@%$ up there is no loss to them.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the suggestions Jme! Noted!

Volunteering would be a great way to network with people in the industry! and the $5 thing doesn't sound that crazy! A great incentive.