• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ei

lush191

TRIBE Member
if you have been working for a while(a few years) and decide to go back to University-can you collect EI benefits?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't exactly broadcast that plan to them, but yeah if your plan is to mostly collect EI until September, you can do that. I did.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I have never heard of that, but you could give it a try. From what I know you need to be layed off or for medical reasons. I think you need to get funding through Osap?

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
umm, I don't think you can go to school and collect EI - legally.
wrong*.....ask to be layed off, go to school AND collect EI...i know a few people that have done this without repricutions.

*there are technicalities that could lead this to be illegal, but legally you can collect while going to school. it all depeands on the employer and reason for terminating the employment.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
g0nz0 said:
wrong*.....ask to be layed off, go to school AND collect EI...i know a few people that have done this without repricutions.

*there are technicalities that could lead this to be illegal, but legally you can collect while going to school. it all depeands on the employer and reason for terminating the employment.

And the school and the program your taking. Its %100 legal and normal for insatnce if your taking a trade. Its %100 illegal if your taking an undergraduate arts degree.

The answer is "probably" no, but I'm sure you could find ways around it.

Any company found placing the incorrect codes on your ROE can get in huge shit for it, i.e. you cannot request a layoff to collect EI while you go back to school.

Also, when the HRSDC follows up to find out what the deal is, if your company rep spills the beans "oh, she asked to be let go - there were no problems with her performance, she just wanted to go back to school" then you're double fucked.

"You are taking a course on your own initiative
Taking a course or training program on your own initiative, without being directed to do so by a designated authority, does not automatically result in the loss of regular benefits. Although participation in a course is commendable, you must show that you are available to work while you are attending school. It is essential that you continue to look for work and that taking a course does not prevent you from being available to work or from accepting any appropriate offer of employment during normal working hours. You need to be ready to make all the necessary arrangements to hold a job or even drop the course if necessary.

You need to notify us if you are taking a course or training program
You must declare your participation in a course or a training program when you present your claim for benefits or when you are completing your report by Internet or by telephone. If you are taking a full-time course or training program without having been directed to do so, you must complete the “Training course information” questionnaire. It is important to return it as soon as possible, in order to avoid needless delays in the payment of your benefits and also to ensure that you are not receiving benefits to which you are not entitled.

When the questionnaire is received, it will be given to an agent for a decision. If you are not entitled to benefits, you will be notified by telephone or by letter.

If you report you are taking a part-time course or training program, you must give us the following details:

Do you normally work daytime hours on a Monday to Friday basis, in your usual occupation?
Are all of your courses below the university level?
Would you leave this course if it conflicted with a full-time job?
Are all your courses held in the evening, after 6:00 p.m. or on weekends?
Is the total number of hours of attendance equal to or less than 10 hours per week?
What are the names of the courses and training institutions?
What are the course start and end dates?
"

However you should do some research - google HRSDC.

billy

TRIBE Member
i believe the courses generally have to be related to a skill or trade with the objective of obtaining employment. as already mentioned, you have to be laid off (in most cases) to qualify for EI. you can't just leave work. it defeats the whole point.

they do have a program though that will help fund courses you are taking on top off your bi-weekly payments, but as mentioned university is beyond what they are talking about.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
here is some info from HRSDC:

You are taking a course on your own initiative

Taking a course or training program on your own initiative, without being directed to do so by a designated authority, does not automatically result in the loss of regular benefits. Although participation in a course is commendable, you must show that you are available to work while you are attending school. It is essential that you continue to look for work and that taking a course does not prevent you from being available to work or from accepting any appropriate offer of employment during normal working hours. You need to be ready to make all the necessary arrangements to hold a job or even drop the course if necessary.

You need to notify us if you are taking a course or training program

You must declare your participation in a course or a training program when you present your claim for benefits or when you are completing your report by Internet or by telephone. If you are taking a full-time course or training program without having been directed to do so, you must complete the “Training course information” questionnaire. It is important to return it as soon as possible, in order to avoid needless delays in the payment of your benefits and also to ensure that you are not receiving benefits to which you are not entitled.

When the questionnaire is received, it will be given to an agent for a decision. If you are not entitled to benefits, you will be notified by telephone or by letter.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=/en/ei/information/training.shtml&hs=tyt

lush191 said:
is it illegal not to tell them?
yes. it would be considered fraud. here is info from HRSDC about EI fraud:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=/en/ei/fraud/fraud_serious.shtml&hs=tyt