• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Egypt protests

praktik

TRIBE Member
Its a mistake to play this up if it features more prominently than the local dynamics that brought them about. Its a bit of the old western paternalism I think to remove the agency of these peoples and see their actions only through their connection to western powers.

The Nazis needed access to Middle Eastern oil, just like everyone else. They are incidental - though of course having been there, they left their imprint at the time.

Nowadays this connection is rather more the province of propagandists.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
Really? That passionate to kill? I don't wish that. I do wish that we were as passionate as we are about sports (yay sports- I'm a fan, but fuck, it does NOT matter). I just think when violence comes into play then I'm not into that.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Back up, I wasn't saying kill. But getting out in the streets until there's some accountability isn't such a bad idea.

But yeah, 1 order of hot wings and a beer pls.

dig this

TRIBE Member
yeah, but we're too pre-occupied with gadgets and boardmeetings - which is a good thing too... The amount of people that are willing to take to the streets in Canada becomes diluted with so many diverging interests. Sometimes it results in a lack of passion, but it also lacks in bloodshed and civil war.

I think the whole "coup" argument is pretty simple - US has very little influence in Egypt/middle east right now with providing the billions of aid that it does... Take that away (by acknowledging that it was a coup) and it has no influence. Let them call it what they want... the world knows what it was, they know what it was - but they have to be hush about it to keep a foothold, no matter how small it is, in the door.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Back up, I wasn't saying kill. But getting out in the streets until there's some accountability isn't such a bad idea.

But yeah, 1 order of hot wings and a beer pls.
This is why Europe has better health care, vacation policies and the like: governments there are scared of protests.

Here?

We never really speak up, and when people DO hit the streets our media culture ends up treating them as "unserious" and gins up criticism of the protesters... Part of it is the age of our democracy - over there its new so people feel like they have a voice.

After decades and decades of bureaucracy and party politics and horse-trading, we've lost our illusions...

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
I'd like to think that Canadians would do the same if we were subjected to the kind of oppression as the Egyptians.

Last edited: