• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Egypt protests

praktik

TRIBE Member
I would love it if Canadians were more class conscious and ready to hit the streets - and there's probably reason for many to do so, that said, we're a far sight from the way things work in Egypt and despite all the problems I think we're all damned lucky to live in a peaceful, prosperous democracy with redress for wrongs available in respected courts and a society that values civil engagement and public service.

We have what people in Egypt wish they had

dig this

TRIBE Member
This is why Europe has better health care, vacation policies and the like: governments there are scared of protests.
I think there's way more to protest about in Europe. Most of the time it's police brutality against minorities, or economic hardship. Both these things Canada has an amazing record of, albeit not perfect, but miles ahead of parts of Europe. Fact is we got it pretty damn good here when compared to the rest of the world.

Also, all the luxuries and benefits that so much of Europe has enjoyed for so long are going to go away, at least for more countries. The Scandinavian countries seem to be he only ones to really have their shit together enough to afford it.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
I dunno if we're "miles ahead" anymore... North American workers fought for money, until we stopped fighting at all after all unions got busted and we just meekly accepted stagnant wages

European countries fought for TIME, and that's why they have amazing maternity/paternity benefits, vacation, heck france lets ANYBODY take a sabbatical every 10 years and their job is held for them. There's a better work/life balance and it appears that social mobility is higher there than it is here: born poor you have a better chance of moving up in Europe than you do in NA...

dig this

TRIBE Member
I dunno if we're "miles ahead" anymore... North American workers fought for money, until we stopped fighting at all after all unions got busted and we just meekly accepted stagnant wages

European countries fought for TIME, and that's why they have amazing maternity/paternity benefits, vacation, heck france lets ANYBODY take a sabbatical every 10 years and their job is held for them. There's a better work/life balance and it appears that social mobility is higher there than it is here: born poor you have a better chance of moving up in Europe than you do in NA...
No doubt it's better... Now... I just don't think these things are going to last much longer. I don't think countries such as France can sustain such benefits, and eventually they will have to whittle them away or face the same consequences as Italy & Spain etc. Pure speculation on my part however.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally Posted by praktik View Post

Great point. I think Belgium offers the sabatical as well

No doubt it's better... Now... I just don't think these things are going to last much longer. I don't think countries such as France can sustain such benefits, and eventually they will have to whittle them away or face the same consequences as Italy & Spain etc. Pure speculation on my part however.
True, there will be some cutting of course. There has to be. But the problems in Spain and Italy are different than the work/life balance issues in Praktik's point. In Spain, it was reckless lending mixed with tax evasion mixed with very rigid labour contracts for existing workers mixed with a huge black / grey labour market. Italy has massive tax evasion and too rigid a labour market as well.

It won't be an easy ride for either of them, or for Europe in general, but I think the general trend over here is for quiet improvement overall while accepting some measure of slight cutbacks. The general public won't stand for harsh hack & slash actions I don't think