1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

eee PC Keyboard

Discussion in 'Technology' started by The Watcher, Apr 10, 2010.

1. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

soooo expensive....

no thanks, gimme a Mac Keyboard, those super thin awesome ones that is like typing on my Laptop :)

3. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Are you slow or something?
    It's a whole computer in there, not just a keyboard. Like a C64.
    No wonder you own a Mac.
  4. glych t.anomaly

i own a Macbook, and i own a PC.

i understand what the keyboard does, and how it does it, as i can read, and have known about it for the last 4 - 6 months they have been talking about it, and awaiting its release.

for the COST of the KEYBOARD, the benefits do not out weigh the amount of money you have to pay for it, as applied to my personal use.

and ' no wonder i own a mac. ' wow, that .... hurt me?

so again, i stand by my original statement.

soooo expensive....

no thanks, gimme a Mac Keyboard, those super thin awesome ones that is like typing on my Laptop :)

oh, and suck my balls.

5. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

It's not just a keyboard, it's a computer in a keyboard... better yet, it's a media center computer in a keyboard. Turn any screen into a TV. Can run wirelessly to a device hooked onto any monitor. Could be a great geek tool.

ASUS Eee Keyboard | Hardware Secrets

The basic specs for Eee Keyboard you can see on Figure 5 and includes Atom N270 or N330 CPU, 1 GB DDR2, wireless network 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, Ethernet port, built-in microphone and speakers, VGA output, HDMI output, 4-in-1 memory card reader, USB 2.0 ports, 5” LCD display with touch-screen capability (800 x 480 native resolution), 16 GB or 32 GB solid state drive (SSD) and weighting less than 2 pounds (1 Kg).
  6. glych t.anomaly

Giz, Engadget, Lifehacker, Tech Crunch etc have all been talking about this things for months.

i dont see how this makes things better compared to a home HTPC.

#1 VGA out and HDMI Out ???? you want cables running from your Keyboard to your TV? no of course not, so you cant even use it in your living room.

Memory card reader is great, but not essential, lots of keyboards have 2.0 USB ports.
    Wireless, Ethernet, Mic and Speakers, all nice, if you plan on replacing your computer at your desk with this, and hooking it up to a Monitor, but not a TV. and using it in your living room, or being able to actually move it around.

to me, its gimmicky, its underpowered for what i use computers for personally, and so unless you have extra money to burn to play with a expensive toy essentially.

no thanks.

7. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

that is a lot of trouble to go in order to make an after-the-fact justification for simply commenting without reading an article.

there is a wireless hdmi version btw. And that shit is cool, i did not even know that HDMI could be made wireless. Not without causing instant testicular cancer or something.
  8. glych t.anomaly

HAHAHA wireless HDMI adapters that i have seen talked about cost around 249$, according to what i have found.

so thats umm 249 + 600 shall we say for the wireless HDMI version, and then add Tax plus Conversion to USD, or up the price if buying in canada.

after the fact justification, psh, i read about this shit all day long.

9. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

It's a full keyboard attached to a touchscreen PDA. How am I gonna put that in my pocket?
  10. glych t.anomaly

ASUS’ EeeKeyboard Finally Available For Pre-Order at $599

Product Features Intel Atom N270; 1GB DDR2 RAM; MS Windows XP Home Ultra Wide Band built in transmitter and exernal reciever; WLAN 802.11 b/g/n; 10/100/1000 LAN; Bluetooth V2.1 5" 800x480 LED multi-touch display 16GB SSD HDMI out from keyboard and UWB receiver; VGA out; 3xUSB 2.0

It was beginning to look like vaporware of the meanest kind, but finally ASUS' EeeKeyboard has been given a pre-order price on Amazon with shipping expected by end of next week.

While the specs and form have changed since we first spied it at CES-was it two CES shows ago?-but the final specs appear to include a 1.6GHz Atom N270 chip, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 16GB SSD, with the 5-inch LED-backlit multitouch display being in an adequate 800 x 480 resolution. The whole thing runs Windows XP Home, and in terms of connections, there's three USB 2.0 ports, an Ethernet port, HDMI out, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and an UWB receiver, which certainly sounds intriguing.

so its 600$ USD w/out a wireless HDMI out, so this would be Wired to your existing TV's........

so far this is looking less and less like a good deal at all, and more and more like a gimicky POS that people are going to eat up cuz they made it look pretty.

11. glych t.anomaly