• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

EDM vs. the 90's

alison87

TRIBE Member
wish i could have hit this, screw you flu!

i would love to see a fest that has orb, orbital, chemical brothers, crystal method, infusion and the prodigy
instead of aoki, guetta and whatever the other cheese of the moment is
Jesus. The 90s called. They want their electronica back. Oh, wait, it never left, because the EDM of today is almost exactly the same style of music made for exactly the same age group. Big beats, big acid sounds, shameless sampling, popstar cameos, subtle as a sledgehammer, epic breakdowns, builds and drops. Just because it goes WUB and the kids wear fluoro doesn't make it any lower common denominator than big beat already was. Let them have their fun.

What i don't get is how you can lump The Orb or Orbital in with that.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Yes.

Sorry sweetcheeks, you're old.
kind of funny coming from you who bitches and moans about wack jams all the time

age is not the issue, it is talent3

nobody will be listening to deadmaus or skrillex or aoki 3 yrs from now let alone 10 years from now

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
nobody will be listening to deadmaus or skrillex or aoki 3 yrs from now let alone 10 years from now

Yes they will.

I think you underestimate just how popular some of the new generation of artists are. Deadmau5 alone pulled over 20,000 people to a show in Toronto, as did Swedish House Mafia. Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Prodigy, Daft Punk, Orbital, etc.., have never done anywhere close to that, even in their prime.

The same kids that listen to them now will get old like like you are now and reminisce about them they way the older generation does about The Orb, Underworld, Chemical Brothers etc.., and will go see them at least for the nostalgia factor.

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
i love the new and the old . being 43 my experience in electronica of all genres covers late 70s to current day . i don't mind an intimate 50 person dj'd event or 20,000 fans .

The Chems , underworld , prodigy tend to get the large crowds , tens of thousands , in the european festivals . Prodigy particularly has sold out stadiums all over the world - not so much in north America .

I love it all !

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Yes they will.

I think you underestimate just how popular some of the new generation of artists are. Deadmau5 alone pulled over 20,000 people to a show in Toronto, as did Swedish House Mafia. Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Prodigy, Daft Punk, Orbital, etc.., have never done anywhere close to that, even in their prime.

The same kids that listen to them now will get old like like you are now and reminisce about them they way the older generation does about The Orb, Underworld, Chemical Brothers etc.., and will go see them at least for the nostalgia factor.
sure they will, same way ppl think back to the good old days of milli vanilli

you do realize toronto is not a large scene yes?

prodigy, underworld et al headline pretty much all festivals that arent based in north america

c and c music factory were huge at one point same as mc hammer, think they would ever be looked back on as innovators or great musicians?

shit, vanilla ice had a #1 hit, dont hear of him touring at all

the diff between what is being "produced" today vs back in the day is passion and wanting to create something new vs producing easily replicated crap

think anyone will give a rats ass about lady gaga or katy perry in a few years?

you rub elbows with some of the industry leaders, think cox, hawtin, digweed or porter would give these clowns any respect or even want to be mentioned in the same breath with them?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Clivilles & Cole are legendary, and hawtin did a live show at SXSW with Deadmaus.

Your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
hawtin was booked to play a gig
it wasnt like him and shitmaus hooked up and jammed like bb king and the stones

there was no respect of talent going on

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think in 10 years from now, deadmaus and skrillex and the rest of the EDM superstar crew will be nostalgically remembered the way happy hardcore artists of the 90's are today.

danielablau

TRIBE Promoter
As hard as I've been on Deadmau5 for the way he acts sometimes, he does make some decent music. It's just not the stuff you hear on the radio.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
why is there a diff from 90"s and edm, they are the same
there is good music and there is complete crap

isnt based on a time frame

alison87

TRIBE Member
Sorry for the thread-shit ndrworld, it just really annoys me when i see this kind of close-minded geriatric view on a rave message board. And then people wonder why kids don't want to join up. How about we start by not turning into our parents?

You're right, bbj, i think the majority of EDM sucks. But that's not because it's objectively shit, it's because i've never really enjoyed those sorts of sounds in the first place. No accounting for taste.

You mention C+C Music Factory, Milli Vanilli, etc. Completely false analogy. Those are front bands for some of the top dance producers of the 80s/90s - Clivillés + Cole and Frank Farian. Think Bobby O, Stock Aitken Waterman, Shep Pettibone etc. Today's equivalents might be Pharrell, Timbaland, Kanye etc.

Let's talk staying power. Swedish House Mafia have been around almost 10 years in various incarnations. Steve Aoki runs a label that's released emo/punk since the 90s and followed that scene's move into indie dance/electro. Deadmau5 has been going on 6-7 years. Granted, Skrillex is still new and it remains to be seen if he will have the longevity of someone like Fatboy Slim or just turn out to be a flash-in-the-pan like Bentley Rhythm Ace, but he surfed the wave at the right time so if he's smart he'll be able to Crystal Method his way into the history books.

I think you forget what "the underground scene" thought about the electronica explosion of the mid-90s. I don't, because i was one of the teenage douchebags on alt.music.techno ranting about how shitty and commercial The Prodigy and The Chems were. Crystal Method? Give me a break, they were just cashing in on the hip sound of the moment (at the time no one knew they'd make more than one album). Remember the Hackers soundtrack? Wipeout 2097? Mortal Kombat? Yeah, anyone on those soundtracks was commercial garbage, forgettable pop music that would never stand the test of time the way REAL underground artists would. Flash forward and an entire generation of electronic-loving kids have grown up in a world where the Prodge, Chems, Crystal Method, Fatboy Slim, Fluke etc are some of their most treasured memories. And a whole bunch of them now also listen to underground music. A whole bunch more got married and never party any more, but still they go out and have a blast when The Orb are in town. How can you fault that?

I remember back in 2006 or some shit seeing fully grown adults getting weak at the knees, crying because they were finally going to get to see Daft Punk live. Seriously, that cheesy disco duo who did the cool video clip with the dog? Somehow it mattered to them. It was a huge deal. The same way i fucking cried when i finally saw Robert Owens sing at Revival a few years ago, or the same way i openly wept hearing Lake People play his Chymera remix at KaterHolzig a few weeks ago. The same way EDM kids will feel when they get to hear their favorite epic Swedish House Mafia song in 10 years, the same way they do now when they hear the intro to Skrillex's Scary Monsters song.

You don't have to like it. You can even joke about the wubs and chainsaws, that's fine. But don't shit on other people's taste by saying it's irrelevant. Especially not when it's fucking electronic. The more people who listen to the entry-level stuff, the more people will dig deeper and maybe start liking the stuff you like. Assuming you actually listen to anything that came out in the 21st century. But even if they don't, at least they're still taking drugs and dancing all night to synthesizers, which remains a minority scene in North America and needs all the support it can get.

Last edited:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
way to fuck up an event review.
no wonder no one does them anymore.
fuck.
lol I just noticed this too! I was like, "waaait a second I didn't start a thread!" Never before have I witnessed such a literal and absolute "thread hijack" (congrats Alison, it worked :D ).

now just wait for the losers to jump on and say "ohhh nooo another music thread on our baby/furniture discussion board" :p j/k...kinda...