• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Editing Windows startup programs? G33K alert!

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Is there any way to view and edit the programs that start up automatically with Windows? I'm not talking about the 'Startup' folder itself, but all the other little annoying programs that take up system resources.

I've seen many programs that will allow you to kill any undesired processes once they're open, but haven't found a way to prevent them from always starting up when Windows boots up.

My dad is asking me about this, said he's done it before... he has a Compaq computer and once talked to a guy from tech support who I think had him check some stuff in the registry, but he would have to pay for any more calls to the helpdesk so he's asked me. And now I'm asking Tribe because my knowledge of Windows registry stuff is pretty minimal. hehe...

Thanks!

Pete

Kid Lax

TRIBE Promoter
Start / Run msconfig
Startup tab
Uncheck what you don't want to load at startup

You can also disable a bunch of useless services by going to...
Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
then double click on the service you don't want started and disable it.

There are plenty of sites online that'll tell you what each service does and if its necessary to be running.

Simplistik

TRIBE Member
start menu
run
type msconfig - only if your sure you know what to disable, if not you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system

or

type services.msc - here you are unable to disable anything vital

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Shug

TRIBE Member
For the truly anal:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Run (and Run-)

Oops, that's what's linked above.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Shug
For the truly anal:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Run (and Run-)

Oops, that's what's linked above.
But you must do more than that... there are a dozen keys that need to be checked.

Plus you can hide something as a service.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by DJ CLUSTER
yeppers
And when someone hides your skjkjfa jjka oweou, iuaisd hjh jhjha rrj uiure.

Jhhau iouyer yuyqer yiuyf, kiu, jhf, reu hh hh eqe gfouoiuoi ufmnvoir.

Shug

TRIBE Member
Damn services. I turn ALL my services off.

ALL of them.

ALL OF THEM.

YES ALL OF THEM.

EVERY ONE.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders