• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ecuador mountains / amazon rain forest -- anyone been?

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I'm heading down to Ecuador for a couple weeks in August... going to be spending a week in the rural areas around Quito, (which is cool and rainy at 10,000 feet), and a week in the Amazon rain forest (which I imagine is hot and wet every day).

I'm not much of the camping type... I fully expect to be eaten by a giant centipede within hours of showing up... but what kind of clothes do you need? The guy at MEC was trying to sell me the $200 high-top goretex waterproof leather hiking boots that weighed about 38 pounds each, but I dunno... I imagine I'd rather have my feet be cool and light in the Amazon than hot and waterproof? I'm not sure though. Maybe trudging through diseased puddles without proper footware isn't advisable after all?

What do you trekkers think? Any tips?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Be sure to bring your matching gold detailed hat and zip-up. That will be essential.

You may also want to consider one of those hats with a built-in mini-umbrella to boost your streetcred while protecting yourself from the sun and rain.

Footwear wise: LA Gear Lights are an obvious choice as to not get lost.

acheron

TRIBE Member
- good, comfortable shoes - they will be ruined by the end of the trip.
- SOCKS - always have a dry pair handy. serious
- bring specimen bags cuz you never know what's going to drop out of the canopy on you.
- camera - not too expensive - a point-n-shoot, you can't afford moisture damage to an expensive one.
- peanut butter

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I deleted my post to not blow your cover.

Go forth young Bealiekins and slay 'the next generation'.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I just spoke to a friend who was there and nearly died after eating a parasite-infested coconut a couple months ago.

I predict nothing but hilarious results from this trip.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
As long as you're drinking a parasite infested coconut with an umbrella in it you should be fine.

Also, don't forget to lick the frog.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
you should seriously try to find some ayahausca when you're in the amazon. also, be sure to take lots of pictures when they make you eat guinea pig.

Taro

TRIBE Member
remember not to step on any caterpillars, or if you do, seek local medical attention - lest you end up like that chick that died that's been all over the cbc for the last 2 days..

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I've always wanted to go on a fishing trip down the amazon. I also really want to see a salt water croc in person

bitchass

TRIBE Member
When I was in Belize my favorite thing to wear was Crocs - just make sure you don't stop walking while in a leafcutter ant path.

ila

TRIBE Member
I know nothing about the amazon, but I do know that MEC sells shitty hiking boots. I tried some before I did a trail in Alaska and they were all total garbage as was their assistance.

Cross the street to Europe Bound or whatever they call it on King and buy your boots there. They know more and they have better shit.

ila

TRIBE Member
DJ Doublecross said:
The guy at MEC was trying to sell me the $200 high-top goretex waterproof leather hiking boots that weighed about 38 pounds each, but I dunno... I imagine I'd rather have my feet be cool and light in the Amazon than hot and waterproof? I'm not sure though. Maybe trudging through diseased puddles without proper footware isn't advisable after all?

oh shit, I do have advice for this.

If you're doing trails in the amazon, where it's wet and gross, your aim is to keep your feet dry to avoid everything from blisters to trenchfoot and other disgustingness. You do that by primarily keeping outside moisture out (gortex) and then by wearing light wool socks that, by the marvels of science, keep your feet dry even when you're sweating, as opposed to cotton, which holds onto sweat and grossness.

*edit* Don't go out and buy those heavy steelwool socks grandma used to make you wear though, go buy the ultra light ones they have at MEC or wherever.

So yeah, don't just roll into the amazon in your jordans and expect amazing results. I think gortex is a good idea for sure.

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
ila said:
oh shit, I do have advice for this.

If you're doing trails in the amazon, where it's wet and gross, your aim is to keep your feet dry to avoid everything from blisters to trenchfoot and other disgustingness. You do that by primarily keeping outside moisture out (gortex) and then by wearing light wool socks that, by the marvels of science, keep your feet dry even when you're sweating, as opposed to cotton, which holds onto sweat and grossness.

*edit* Don't go out and buy those heavy steelwool socks grandma used to make you wear though, go buy the ultra light ones they have at MEC or wherever.

So yeah, don't just roll into the amazon in your jordans and expect amazing results. I think gortex is a good idea for sure.

Seconding this.
Also the amazon has many waterborne parasites, highly-venomous beasties at ground level among other foot-destroying/deadly delights.

The guy trying to sell you those boots is doing you a big favour.

Don't be an idiot and wear sandals/regular shoes. You'll regret it with every fiber of your being.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Invest in a good set of rain gear (jacket & pants) if you don't have one already. You don't need to pay $400 for an ultra brand name jacket but you can get some good stuff for around $150 a piece.

And (obviously) stay away from the Newfie fisherman/ Captain Highliner look since that'll be a little hot in the jungle.

For blisters, one of the best things ever is duct tape. If you wrap a bunch around something like a popsicle stick, you can easily throw it in to your first aid kit and not have to carry a huge roll.

ila

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
*Hiking enthusiast who has Raynaud's*

ME TOOO.

I used to have to play hockey in these metallic thermal socks when the arena was too cold.

Rob, for blisters just bring duct tape and use it at the first hint of blisterness. Don't wait on that shit. You can wrap a wack of it around your fuel cannister to save room.