• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ecler Nuo5 vs. A&H Xone:92

Stoopid

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any experience with these mixers? My current mixer just had a channel die on it, and so i figured it's a good excuse to get a nice new mixer. (If God didn't want me to get a new mixer, he/she wouldn't have let my old one die ;) )

One thing that really attracts me to the Nuo5 is the magnetic fader similar to the fader used in Rane TTM56 and the edi:lab software that allows you to modify the mixers effects via usb/laptop.

Any thoughts on using the Xone:92 for scratching?

General sound quality / midi / effects / balanced outputs...

Any reviews or comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Brad.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Balanced is not always better. That said I like the xone 92 but I am really curious of the new urie stuff and had nightmares with Ecler before. The Rane was a better Scratch mixer.

Stoopid

TRIBE Member
Do you have any experience with how well the midi clock works? With the Nuo5 it has an internal beat counter, does the 92 have this as well? or is it a manual trigger / pushbutton type sync?

Brad.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
The Xone92 is undoubtedly a superior mixer in terms of sound quality and durability... but you pay a premium for it.

I own a Nuo5, and have been generally pleased with it. The magnetic cross-fader is buttery smooth, and the EQ knobs are nice and big. Sound quality is quite good... not up to A&H standards but that would be difficult with the on-board FX. Models release up until 2005 had some quality issues that Ecler has sorted out now, and shouldn't be a problem.

The Ecler is also a bit annoying with its fade curves. It has two options, soft and sharp. I find the soft a bit too soft, and the sharp a bit too sharp. The good news is that the EQs are full cuts, meaning that you can get around this with aggressive eq'ing.

The on-board FX are good, but to be honest, with the exception of the flange and delay, I almost never use them. The software that lets you edit the FX is pretty cool and useful if you use them quite a bit, but given my lax use, I would probably be just as happy or more happy with the A&H's filters.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy the A&H... not because I am unhappy with the Ecler, but because the A&H is the industry standard and sounds so damn good. I hate the 4-band EQs, but with all the clubs that run the 62 and 92, it's important to get used to it.

Last edited:

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
LOL I looooove the 4 band eqs
My only complaint about my A&H is the no adjustable curve thing :confused:
Other than that, you'll end up spoiled and hate playing on anything else :p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
CIRCE (Sir C) said:
LOL :)

I looooove the 4 band eqs
My only complaint about A&H is the no adjustable curve thing :confused:
Other than that, you'll end up spoiled like me and hate playing out on anything else :p
They all have fast(sharp) and slow (gradual) curves. Little button you usually need a pin for.
;)

Littlej

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
They all have fast(sharp) and slow (gradual) curves. Little button you usually need a pin for.
;)
on the 92 there is a dial neer the CF and it adjusts exact to your liking ...inbetween hard and soft..all ways. I use it from mix 2 mix 2 change styles and its easy to use and works quick if you know the settings you like.

but I would say to get used to a 92 cause if you wanna play any good gig's:eek: its important to know cause its not easy the first time.technics1200

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I would love to pick up a new mixer!

I have the Pioneer DJM-500 and I'll tell you this save your money for a good A&H... sound quality on it's kills a lot of mixer out there (and I'm a pioneer junkie). If you want to do EFX just buy a EFX-processor to add to your gear.

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
Littlej said:
on the 92 there is a dial neer the CF
Not on the 62 or 464 :( Like HJ mentioned, there's a stupid little punch-in button in the same spot that gives the choice between smooth or sharp curve. Mos def something to take into consideration if you're looking to do any turntablism.

Stoopid

TRIBE Member
Nice, thanks for the feedback guys. I think i'm going to pick up a xone:92, just have to save some coin now.

Does anyone know how well the midi interface works? It would be cool to be able to hook up to reason or ableton, but I guess it is all dependent on how well the midi in the mixer can synch to the speed of the records playing.

Brad.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stoopid

TRIBE Member
I just rented the xone:92 from moog audio for a week to 'test drive' it. Sound quality is insane! Definitely leaning towards this one :D

Brad.

Jonny Thrice

TRIBE Member
Ah! How did I miss this post! ;)

The NUO5, XONE:62 and XONE:92 are all top notch mixers, and are all in a head-to-head battle these days.

Being the distributor for ECLER, I'll try not to put in too much of my opinion, but more of the facts..

While everything said above is correct, between the XONE:92 and the NUO5, they are both very different mixers.

-The NUO5 on one hand has 12 built in digital effects (the mixer itself is analog, but the effects are digital) and the XONE uses analog filters. If you want FX, go for the NUO5. If you dont need em, then the XONE:92 is worth a look.

-The ETERNAL fader on the NUO5 is a non-contact design, so it'll be better for scratching (if you scratch) and last longer.

-The MIDI output on each mixer isnt that useful. On the NUO, you get a MIDI clock signal (which is produced from the FX internal BPM processing), and on the XONE:92, you have a CLOCK and a few other functions (I think 6 in total). If youre looking for a true MIDI mixer, then the NUO4 is for you, or, if you got the coin, the XONE:3D

-
The Ecler is also a bit annoying with its fade curves. It has two options, soft and sharp. I find the soft a bit too soft, and the sharp a bit too sharp.
This has been rectified in newer NUO5's, so that the upfader curve is more linear.

Anyway, if you have any more questions on the NUO's, feel free to ask!

:D