• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ebay Tips?

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Hey guys, I've been browsing ebay to see prices on CDJ 1000s and I asked this seller a question. This is the response I got:

">Hi there.
>The item is brand new have international warranty provided by the factory
>and come with all accesories that you need .my best price is $650 including
>the shipping taxes.
>i shipp via UPS (air service) , in max 2 days this item will be in your
>home.
>i prefer to pay me via Western union bc is the faster.i am legit with
>ebay also i have insurance. in case something happens you will get full
>refounds from ebay.
>thanks and mail me back"

It sounds kinda fishy and too good to be true, but I just wanted a second opinion. Does that mean he doesn't want to sell it through ebay? $650US incl. shipping and taxes sounds like a HOT price.

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Thumpr said:
oh and this was just a few weeks ago....same scammer?
Woah, that's probably the same dude!

Yeah, he'll only correspond through e-mail.

His rating is 100% positive, but with only 8 reviewers... so it could be his friends.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
especially if you click on those feedbacks and they're all for 10 cents books. scammers propping up other scammer's feedback in a circle. you see it a lot in auctions from China too, usually for hot consumer electronics like iPods....

i've been on eBay for years with almost fifty purchases and i've pretty learned it all.

eBay tells you to NEVER pay via money gram, as it's usually a scam and not covered by Paypal buyer protection.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
This one is pretty clearly a scam but in the future, don't bother with a seller that will only ship to you with UPS because it will cost a fortune in brokerage fees. USPS offers the same services (tracking, insurance etc) and ends up costing you a fraction of UPS.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!

I recently just bought some DJ equipment. Prior to buying....I was checking out ebay left, right, and center. I have a great rating on ebay and I figured I would use my good score to score some equipment.

These fuckers that are posting are putting their email in the ebay ad....asking them to contact you outside of ebay and send money through western union.

1st.......Any negotiations outside of ebay voids any legitimitate record of the contract between you and the seller. They usually have a private auction going!

2nd.... Western Union is for your family and friends. Paypal warranties transactions.......western union does not. Once you send that money you won't get it back.

3rd..... take a look at the listing. Especially the top part underneath the title.
It should read :

Listed in category: Musical Instruments > DJ Gear & Lighting > CD Players

Often times these bullshit sellers list the equipment in bullshit categories so they won't get caught.

I just saw a CDJ1000 listed as:

Listed in category: Cameras & Photo > Lenses & Filters > Lens Accessories > Other Lens Accessories

I've even gone so far to engage these fuckers in some back to back email. They REFUSE paypal with absolutely crazy reasons. They will email you invoices that use ebay insignia. They promise to ship after you receive the money. They often say that they are not in the country at the moment but have a warehouse...

I spent two weeks trying to bust these fuckers...and they keep popping up.....new ones every day....people sending $700USD via western union in the hopes of getting Pionneer 1000CDJs x 2! Some fucker getting his bank account padded.....some poor fucker crying cause they are out tons of $$$!

BIGGEST SCAM GOING!!!

Look at this ebay ad!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-CDJ-1000...603052489QQcategoryZ79000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
yea, make sure you forward that correspondence to eBay and include the seller's username.

together we can make a difference!!

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
The thing that totally set of alarms was the Western Union thing and the fact that he felt he needed to say he was trustworthy.

Let's see if we can bag this bastard :D

stanimal

TRIBE Member
Yeah definitely a scam... they somehow steal/hack into a legitimate ebayer's account and start selling fake goods, using their hard earned good rating.

(see phishing emails)

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I bit the bullet and decided to go with a proper warranty by buying off of stores in the city. No bullshit and you don't have to worry about your equipment bouncing around in the mail.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
who uses the excuse as it's "faster"?

if he was a real consumer he'd understand your need for security and would accept paypal.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
stanimal said:
Yeah definitely a scam... they somehow steal/hack into a legitimate ebayer's account and start selling fake goods, using their hard earned good rating.

(see phishing emails)
hay you know your shit. fake feedback and what you said is how the rat bastards do it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
solacevip said:
3rd..... take a look at the listing. Especially the top part underneath the title.
It should read :

Listed in category: Musical Instruments > DJ Gear & Lighting > CD Players

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-CDJ-1000...603052489QQcategoryZ79000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You are so right. Here is the listing I'm referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-CDJ-1000...228913854QQcategoryZ22686QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's listed under "Other Shoes".

I should hope not to use CDJ 1000s as shoes!

I've reported them to Ebay security.

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
Holy Crap! If you do a general search for cdj 1000 on ebay, a ton of these types of listings pop up. "Please contact me at ______@gmail.com I have __ units!" "I will only respond to e-mail" "If you want to buy for only 1000 $ please email us directly" etc...

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
well i emailed eBay to and got this:

eBay Canada Customer Support <carswebhelp@ebay.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting eBay, my name is Darton. I'd be happy to
address your concerns.

We are concerned about violations on the site and have thoroughly
investigated your report. Please be assured that we have taken
appropriate action in accordance with our site policies. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary suspension, an indefinite
suspension or terminating the membership.

Thank you for being part of the eBay community

Sincerely,

Darton
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

i kept and eye on it and the auction wasn't taken down. so i replied to eBay with this:

Nothing was done to stop the auction.

1. The seller contacted a potential buyer and asked that Western Union only be used

2. The seller splashed a giant font email address on the auction for contact instead of "ask seller a question"

3. The auction for DJ equipment was listed in Listed in category: Sporting Goods > Cycling > Footwear > Other Shoes, a classic scam ploy to avoid detection

4. The auction lists 6 available so that they can contact many of the bidders and attempt to steal from them

My email alerting of the fraud was sent with more than three hours to go in the auction but it was allowed to end, and several people now are likely defrauded.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-CDJ-1000...228913854QQcategoryZ22686QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
OMG, that sucks. I hope nobody really got ripped off. Notice that the bidder's user IDs are kept separate and the winning bid price was well over the price you could supposedly get it for if you bought it via e-mail.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Last edited:

skin deep

TRIBE Member
These fucking scams happen all the time, people seriously need to educate themselves, or at the very least, ask for help, before they ever bid on anything that seems too good to be true. What was even better was when the 360 came out, people were selling the box from the 360 for like $400 with small text at the bottom stating "you are only buying the box that this came in, you are not actually getting an xbox 360".