• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ebay question:Getting Charged extra fees for using Paypal

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
I purchased something on ebay today and they have quoted me this

HERE ARE A FEW WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN MAKE PAYMENT:
ONE, YOU CAN SEND A CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER (NO EXTRA CHARGE.
TWO, YOU CAN SEND A PERSONAL BUT IT WILL TAKE 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR THE CHECK TO CLEAR.
THREE, YOU CAN PAY THRU PAYPAL. (PAYPAL CHARGES WILL BE (19.00)
FOUR, YOU CAN PAY WITH BIDPAY.COM
FIVE, YOU CAN PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. (CREDIT CARD WILL BE 3.75% MORE)
SIX, YOU CAN SEND THE FUNDS THROUGH WESTERN UNION (WESTERN UNION FEES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE I DONT SUGGEST DOING IT THAT WAY)
SEVEN, YOU CAN WIRE TRANSFER THE MONEY FROM YOUR BANK TO MY BANK (THE BANK CHARGES A 15.00 FEE FOR THE TRANSFER)

I`ve never been charged extra for paying with paypal before and $19.00 usd seems pretty steep. I wouldnt do any of the other methods of payments since there is no recourse if the seller screws me over. Anyone ever experience this?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Sounds like they are trying to make up what Paypal is costing them to do the transaction. It's total bullshit. I am really careful about reading the shipping charges etc when I make purchases on Ebay now. Did they state this on the original auction page?

Brutal.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Exactly what he said.

They're trying to fuck you over for PayPal's percentage.

Which is lame.

pr0nstar

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~decepticon~
I purchased something on ebay today and they have quoted me this

HERE ARE A FEW WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN MAKE PAYMENT:
ONE, YOU CAN SEND A CASHIERS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER (NO EXTRA CHARGE.
TWO, YOU CAN SEND A PERSONAL BUT IT WILL TAKE 5 BUSINESS DAYS FOR THE CHECK TO CLEAR.
THREE, YOU CAN PAY THRU PAYPAL. (PAYPAL CHARGES WILL BE (19.00)
FOUR, YOU CAN PAY WITH BIDPAY.COM
FIVE, YOU CAN PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. (CREDIT CARD WILL BE 3.75% MORE)
SIX, YOU CAN SEND THE FUNDS THROUGH WESTERN UNION (WESTERN UNION FEES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE I DONT SUGGEST DOING IT THAT WAY)
SEVEN, YOU CAN WIRE TRANSFER THE MONEY FROM YOUR BANK TO MY BANK (THE BANK CHARGES A 15.00 FEE FOR THE TRANSFER)

I`ve never been charged extra for paying with paypal before and $19.00 usd seems pretty steep. I wouldnt do any of the other methods of payments since there is no recourse if the seller screws me over. Anyone ever experience this?

I haven't used paypal in about 2 years, the only time I was charged anything was when I was paid, and it was about 3%.

It sounds like the company you are buying from is charging you an extra fee. to make up for their costs, I'd email them directly.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
It's against the rules:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html
Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item-this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I can see where the guy is coming from though. When I sold a laptop, the guy used PayPal to pay. That cost me an extra $92 in fees!

I guess it depends on what E-bay considers "electronic transfers". Maybe that means wire transfers, like Western Union.

Cheers ... Ian :)

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Here's another one:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/payments/sellerguide/policies.html#CHARGEFEE

Can I charge the PayPal fee to my buyer?

No. It is against the PayPal User Agreement to assess a surcharge or fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from charging a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, but the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods.

And again:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
I can see where the guy is coming from though. When I sold a laptop, the guy used PayPal to pay. That cost me an extra $92 in fees!I guess it depends on what E-bay considers "electronic transfers". Maybe that means wire transfers, like Western Union.
Cheers ... Ian :)

No wonder they are pushing Paypal so hard. I paid for something recently using the Interac email payment thingy. Saved the guy some cash I reckon. And so easy to do.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Always watch the pay fast services because often they are scams and the seller gets the money instantly. Paypal is used with Ebay because it is supposed to protect the buyer. You should not get extra charges and I never have. So many scams right now you have to becareful.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
When I sell on Ebay I try not to sell to anyone outside of Canada because of the PayPal charges. If the buyer is in Canada I will not accept PayPal and force them to use Canadian email money transfers instead because those only get charged to the sender not the receiver.

I usually state on my auctions (if its under a couple hundred dollars) that international buyers will be charged $20US S/H which includes basic ground shipping.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
you figured that out on your own? Of course they do and hence the protection.

Zing! Since we are exchanging pleasantries, I would like to add that any implication that Ebay owning Paypal provides buyers with protection from sellers is untrue. It certainly provides Ebay with a whole lot of protection, but that's about it.

sauce

TRIBE Member
I had to pay the extra charge once. it was only like a buck fifty or something like that. I was only buying a record. It sucks but from what i see in the above posts you don't really have to pay it.
peace

sauce