1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ebay noob, is it really safe?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by KillaLadY, Aug 22, 2003.

1. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

I have been trying to get tickets for Dave Matthews Band, as they are my favourite of all times and there is no way I am going to miss their concert... anyhow, Ticketmaster is sold out, every other outlet is sold out, none of my friends can get them anymore... so I have to get them from ebay.

How should I know that the tickets are real? What are some things I should be aware of?

And it doesn't hurt to ask but, can anybody help me with getting two tickets? It's also an anniversary present too, so that's why I am fighting so hard to get them...
    Thanks so much Tribe.

2. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

give me your credit card number and i'll get them for you. you can trust me.;)

3. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

best thing to do is simply ask the seller a lot of questions via email. which section? what row? how did you get the tixs? why the low/high price? shit like that. then make the judgement on your own accord.

there's no real way to ensure 100% authenticity of anything that you buy off of ebay. try to stay away from mass sellers unless they are into selling mainly tix. If that's the case, check out the feed back from other buyers.

I normally tend to veer away from people with back feedback unless they can explain themselves otherwise.

4. joey

joey TRIBE Member

look in the paper. that way you can go and see the tickets before you pay for them.

5. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Just check their history. People who make a living doing it are trustworthy. If they have a zillion successul and positive transactions, why would they ruin that rep to make a buck.

6. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

What paper is that I shoudl check for the tickets?

One has no history whatsoever, the other one is pretty good... I emailed them both to ask them if there is a way for them to sell them to me.

Also, does anyone know what the face value is for these tickets?

7. joey

joey TRIBE Member

any paper with classifieds...

8. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

classifieds have ticket price listings?

9. joey

joey TRIBE Member

yes. look under "tickets"

it's usually near the front

10. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

nothing in Classifieds, but I found out the price for them through ticketmaster... so I know if I am getting ripped off or not.

11. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I've bought several sets of tickets to sporting events and concerts through E-Bay.

But, I only buy from people who are in the "ticket resale business", and have solid feedback.

The only way I will buy off of an individual who happens to just have a pair of tickets is to meet them in person to pick them up. That way you can check their authenticity. This works, because for most events, the people that have the tickets are local people.

Cheers ... Ian :)

12. Prickly Pete

Prickly Pete TRIBE Member

I too am a huge Dave Matthews Fan... I think this one will be my 10th concert...

I may have 4 tickets (2 - 200 section, 2 - 100 Section)... I am a geek and joined the fan club so you get tickets to any concert you want basically... anyway... I might not need 2 of them... still waiting for 2 females to decide if they want to go... so I might be able to help you out... but I wouldn't count on it...

I have been ripped off once... wasn't over e-bay... was over a Dave ticket trading site... its sucks... I was out $120... e-bay for the most part is safe... but you will overpay... sometimes more than if you just go buy scalpers the night of... I bought tickets to see him in his hometown in Virginia and paid like twice as much over e-bay as the scalpers were selling them for...

Anyway... if you want I can let you know when the girls decide...

13. Prickly Pete

Better yet... don't wait for me... cause who knows right...

Here is a website (not the one I got fucked on) of people who sell Dave tickets for generally face value...

nancies.org

www.nancies.org

there is a ticket section there somewhere... its been awhile since I have been to the website though... so I don't quite remember exactly where to go...

Hope this helps... later

14. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I have to say I was completely shocked to find out that the Dave Mathews Band grossed about $35 million US in profits last year. I had no clue they were that big.

Cheers ... Ian :)

15. Prickly Pete

Yeah... very dedicated following... they are one of the top grossing tours anually...