• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Eating Disorders-Binge Eating

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Hey...serious question for a second..Has anyone here ever dealt with someone that has a binge eating problem? This is different from binging and purging, like bulemia...this is just binge eating, you eat and eat and eat and you can't stop...its usually an after effect of getting over aneorexia...Its not at publicized as bulemia or aneorexia..but its a serious problem and i'm having a really hard time finding help for this person. So does anyone know any specific treatment? Someone i care about a lot going through this and nothing is really seeming to work.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
A nutritionist and some sort of therepy...
It may take awhile to find something that works.

Their are many resources in Toronto, I would google eating disorders toronto, it came up with many results. Professional help is needed.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Probably some proffessional help is in Order... Have they tried anything like counciling or group therapy? Do they admit they have a problem even? if the person in Under 25 Central Toronto Youth Services programs are free...

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
Hey...serious question for a second..Has anyone here ever dealt with someone that has a binge eating problem? This is different from binging and purging, like bulemia...this is just binge eating, you eat and eat and eat and you can't stop...its usually an after effect of getting over aneorexia...Its not at publicized as bulemia or aneorexia..but its a serious problem and i'm having a really hard time finding help for this person. So does anyone know any specific treatment? Someone i care about a lot going through this and nothing is really seeming to work.

focus less on the nature of the dysfunction and more on the phychological pathology that rests as it's foundation.

get them to their Family doc, they may suggest seeing a psychiatrist for medication if its bad enough while also taking part in "talking" therapy via a psychologist or counsillor specializing in eating disorders.

Toronto Western Hospital is a good place to start if i remember right.
good luck.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i have this disorder, issue, problem, addiction...
whatever you want to call it.

it can be pretty fuckin terrifying. my sympathy to your friend.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Maybe you can try calling some places and find some things you think may be helpful, then give your friend a list to go on. Since you pre-screened everything and did all the leg work it maybe easier for him/ her to follow through. What is the number 211 or 611 that you call for all the refereals? that maybe a good place to start

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
she's been to a lot of psychologists...and they sai dthey wanted to put her on medication...she's only 16 so i'm kind of uncomfortable with that...

dyad

TRIBE Member
Sheena's Place is an eating disorder clinic downtown http://www.sheenasplace.org/

they were started by the friends and family of a girl who didnt survive her eating disorder and they offer support programs at no cost to the user. (they are not government funded and rely on donations for the most part)

I would also recommend the house if shes not comfortable talking to her family doctor. Its a planned parenthood clinic run for young women but offers counselling on a number of issues including nutrition and self image and can give her a referral if she needs one. (the house also sells birth control for cheap for anyone else who is interested.)

http://www.ppt.on.ca/thehouse.html

Contact Info:
The House is located in downtown Toronto near the St.George subway station. Our mailing and clinic address is:

The House
36B Prince Arthur Avenue
Toronto, ON
M5R 1A9
416-927-7171
Clinic and Drop-in Hours:

Monday to Thursday:
10 a.m. - 12 noon - Booked Appointments
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Same-day Appointments
4 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Drop-in
(Closed Noon - 4 p.m. Wednesdays)

Fridays:
10 a.m. - 12 noon - Booked Appointments
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Same-day Appointments
4 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Drop-in

To book a same-day appointment, please call 416-927-7171 between 10 a.m. and 12 noon.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
she can eat an entire large pizza, a box of cereal...3 bagels..the list goes on...and you dont feel full sh'es a little girl man its not like she's obese or anything..although eating that much will get you there...
In regards to sheenas place it is a really great place but its mostly group counselling talking about your problems as opposed to coming to a solution. I've been on the phone with North York General eating disorder clinic...apparently they have a day program you can go to, they monitor all your meals. Thanks for the help guys.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I used to binge eat when I was depressed. Still do but it's a once a month thing. Ate in bed, ate on the train, ate dinner.. then eat again.. then eat in bed...
I'd smoke, eat, smoke, cry, eat, sleep, eat, smoke, eat, sleep..

I used to puke too.. Didn't help my anxiety thing too.
The eating part is the funnest.

I once ate so much I started getting huge chest and torso pains.. I was eating so fast and so much, something got lodged and I almost passed out.. It hurt so much I started to cry...

Good times.

Now I don't overear that much. Probably cuz I've replaced it with drinking and it's not easy to make a meal at night when I get home and eat it in bed.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah it also is hard to be a binge eater when you're paying for your own food...she's only sixteen and she's got this massive pantry full of food

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i think this is the one thing i am actually too embarassed of to share online. i'll comfortably discuss the ins and outs of my sex life on a public message board, and yet when it comes to discussing my eating habits i completely shut down. it's humiliating.

JLV

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT is right... the best place to go for all eating disorders is National Eating Disorders Information Centre (www.nedic.ca). They'll help you find a specific program for your friend.

Best of luck.

joey

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I used to puke too.. Didn't help my anxiety thing too.
The eating part is the funnest.

QUOTE]
i like the puking part.....
you get tp taste your meal twice :D

how much binge and purging is too much?

Sheena's place has some really great programs.

There is no short term solution for binge eating. It's an eating disorder but it's the hidden one because the girl/guy doesn't always get skinnier. Many times, this is a fat person disorder. You already feel fat plus you are eating insane amounts of food. You know it's a problem but you can't stop. No one feels sorry for you. Everyone thinks you are just lazy and self indulgent. You can't hide your addiction because you get larger and larger which continues to destroy your self esteem. Only recently has it been really considered an eating disorder. It's bulima without the purging. It's a terrifying feeling because you can't purge and you can't stop.

Sick Kids has an eating disorder clinic but I think its only for last resorts. Women's College use to have a program called BodyImage Project to help women solve their eating/body image issues. Truly, it's going to take councilling and a doctor. Good luck. Eating disorders are so frightening. With other addictions you can stop doing them. With food, you can't stop eating food. You need to find a balance. You never get to go cold turkey.

Sorry. Squirrely when you mentioned how easy it was to talk about sex but not about food issues... i realized that's how I feel too. I hate feeling shame about food. It's not suppose to make me feel guilty and yet the way I acted and act about it still... gah.