• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Easy Dual Boot?

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
Basically..

I have WinXP running on my C:, and I'd like to install another operating system on my D: (probably win98).

Is there an easy way to do this?
Something that will pop up a screen when I start my computer and say "hey sexy, which big hard drive are you going to let me use now? Oh yeah big daddy, boot me right up" Or something like that ya'know?

I tried googling to find the answer to my question, but my brain is slow tonight and cant sift through all of the info to find what I want.

I'd really like to not reinstall XP or to partition my C:, but if I must...

So who wants to impress me with their virtual cornucopia of mostly useless info?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Shug

TRIBE Member
I've tried it, never got it to work right. Ended up getting frustrated after a few hours of trying, and just made Win98 the primary.

Here's the instructions anyway:

Start off by making sure the FAT32 partition you are going to use is set to 'Active'.

Copy the Windows 98 .cab files (contents of the \win98 directory of the CD) to \windows\options\cabs on the new partition.

Boot the computer with a Windows 98 boot disk, and install Windows 98 from that directory.

Then use your Windows XP CD and start installation by running 'Setup' from within Windows 98.

When you are prompted to reboot, reboot back into Windows 98 instead of into Windows XP setup.

Edit the Boot.ini file on the Fat32 partition from:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

To:
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=15
Default=C:\
[Operating Systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

You can delete the $win_nt$.~bt directory afterward.

source

If you get frustrated like I did, and decide to go Win98 on C:, here's the Microsoft approved sol'n: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

It's much easier, pretty much exactly as you describe, put CD in, click, choose partition, done.

Last edited:

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
whoa, that seems needlessly complicated

when i installed xp on my other harddrive, it did the popup screen for me...

i was curious how i was gonna boot up my shit, but lo-and-behold, it had done it for me

i think somwhere in msconfig there's something about a bootup screen

lie, i made win98 bootable thrugh safemode and all that shit, and it seemed to affect the xp install, thus creating the boot screen!

i dunno...

Shug

TRIBE Member
Installing WinXP last to do dual-boot is easy.... it's when you have WinXP installed first and want to add Win98 last that things get a little tricky - Win98 is a bully in terms of common file overwriting during the installation (Win98 wasn't intended to dual boot, originally... back then there was less demand for it), so it overwrites important WinXP boot files on the primary, regardless of what partition Win98 is going on.

All the boot.ini and pre-operating system, post-BIOS information is held on C:.... so another caveat with "Win98 as secondary" is that your primary is gonna have to be FAT32, so the Win98 can access those important init files before it loads up... and FAT32 can slow down and cripple WinXP....

...although, when WinXP on FAT32 frags up, you can drop into DOS easily and do what you need to do (file recovery, scanfix, bootfix, etc), without going through the convoluted WinXP System Recovery Command Console, a utility I feel is tacked on, and is annoying to use (think crippled DOS emulation).

So running WinXP on FAT32 for home systems I find can sometimes be a fair tradeoff.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
It's been many a year since I've done a dual boot, but I have got to imagine that there are some:

a) good tutorials on the net
b) some good boot loaders

ie:
http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/dualboot98.html

My quick search seems to suggest that if you install 98 first then XP things will go smoothly. So why not do that? Back up your current install and install 98 first, then XP. Doing it the easy way is almost always the smartest thing to do.

Either way, remember to back up. My days of dual booting remind me of the times I deleted partitions, or overwrote data I didn't mean to. It happens. So be prepared to start from scratch.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
Yeah... everywhere I looked suggested installing 98 first, and then XP.

Sinister... that link makes it seem too easy!! I'll back up everything important first, but I'll be trying that technique. If that works, sweet!
If not I'll do the 98 followed by XP

The last time I did a dual boot it was 98 and redhat on the same hd, different partitions... so I'm hopeing this goes smoothly.

Thanks All

randyval

TRIBE Member
i have my current setup with two operating systems, one on each drive, i set witch drive to boot from the bios (my new mobo has a featur e, it askes me which drive i want to boot on post ), this way there is no conflicts.
and if a virus takes out my drive, i still have an independant backup drive.

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
this is sort of a long the same lines...

...does anyone know of a way to switch between the two OS's without rebooting completely?

i am getting tired of waiting for the shit to reboot and all that nonsense..

randyval

TRIBE Member
Matt Carl said:
this is sort of a long the same lines...

...does anyone know of a way to switch between the two OS's without rebooting completely?

i am getting tired of waiting for the shit to reboot and all that nonsense..
vmware?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders