1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Earth's Upper Atmosphere Suffers Record Collapse

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Jul 16, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Earth's Upper Atmosphere Suffers Record Collapse

Well, this doesn't sound good: NASA just announced that the Earth's thermosphere, an upper layer of the atmosphere, collapsed. It's the biggest contraction in 43 years and scientists have no idea what's going on. I don't feel safe anymore.

John Emmert, lead author of the paper that announced the finding, reassures all of us with:

"Something is going on that we do not understand"
    Apparently, thermosphere collapses do happen every so often, especially during periods of solar inactivity. But the magnitude of the collapse is what puzzles scientists, since it's two to three times greater than any sort of explainable activity.

The thermosphere is pretty far away from us, closer to where Earth meets space, so it's not exactly time to panic but when science can't explain it, I can't help myself. The world is so ending in 2012.

:O:O:O

baconpanch33sebaconpanch33se

[jai]

2. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Just remember, there was also a point in time when science could not explain why we see our reflection in the water, items falling down to the ground or what caused lightning.

We'll be okay.

3. glych t.anomaly

yes i was so worried, thats why i started eating only bacon and cheese and holding my breath till my eyes pop out as scene in the above post.

[jai]

4. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

...maybe Chicken Little was right...

:eek:

5. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Maybe it's... GOD!

o_O

6. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

The first thing you should do when you read something like that on a tech blog is go back to the source. Here, check out sentence #2 in the original write-up:

Furthermore, citing "the biggest collapse in 43 years" should be considered in light of the fact that the record is only 43 years long! Given that the solar cycle is approximately 11 years there isn't a lot of data. Yeah, it's interesting. Alarming though? No.

7. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

time to raise the eco tax!!!!!

err fee

8. glych t.anomaly

BUT SCIENTISTS DONT KNOW WHY !!!!!!!!!

[jai]

9. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

I feel good. This is the first time I posted this picture.

10. glych t.anomaly

hahahah

[jai]

11. derek

derek TRIBE Member

the thermosphere is rebounding.

now i can breathe easier.

wait, science can't explain everything?

12. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

No, perhaps you're looking for religion.

Scientists don't have all the answers... but science is an incredibly good way of assessing the truth of claims and calculating uncertainty. It isn't just a matter of what we know but also how confident we are in the answers science has come up with.

Anyway, it should be obvious that scientists usually don't know why something is going on... that's the entire reason they are scientists--to discover the answers by increments!

13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

so your saying gravity isn't real.

don't worry, i place more faith in deductive reasoning, than mythology.

14. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

I love when I read sentences like "science can't explain it" as if "science" is supposed to have an immediate answer for everything and its lack of understanding is positioned almost as judgement or cause for panic.

15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i'm just not too good with grammar.

16. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Or reading comprehension, apparently.

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

okay there bill nye. i didn't get the memo stating poking fun was no longer permitted on the internet.

i bow to your superior intellect (which clearly inhibits your ability to take a joke).

18. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

you are a super genius, i pray you dont use your intellect for evil:rolleyes:

19. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Didn't see teh funny. Was it the quip about gravity? ch33se

20. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

it's real

[​IMG]

21. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Nah, it's only a theory.

22. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

23. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I'll bet man created this thermosphere collapse just like climate change.