• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

earthquake snow?

Rosey

TRIBE Member
one of the women in my office is insisting that "the earthquake caused this snow because of the atmospheric change caused by the shift along the faultline".

i told her that i highly doubted that. but i'm far from being a meterologist, can an earthquake cause a significant change in weather?

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Yes an earthquake can lead to a change in weather ... but not so suddenly
The snow isn't caused by the earthquake ... most likely is because there is a polar air mass moving through southern ontario
Weather like were are experiencing now ... is pretty much always related to a polar air mass moving through the area

stu

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
I just checked environment Canada ... and I was right
The polar jet stream has shifted ... resulting in colder tempertaures in our area

stu

mingster

TRIBE Member
I highly doubt that Rosey.
I think this is just god's way of saying "ha ha, suckers".

He's a fucker.

Ming.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
I highly doubt that Rosey.
I think this is just god's way of saying "ha ha, suckers".

He's a fucker.

Ming.
could you rephrase your sentance without the use of the word "god"?
she does not exist.

SpazGirl

TRIBE Member
The weather I heard was sunny & only 11 tomorrow - I think 17 is wishful thinking!! where's my patio weather dammit?? I had to dig out my gloves & earmuffs this morning. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

SpazGirl:(

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey
one of the women in my office is insisting that "the earthquake caused this snow because of the atmospheric change caused by the shift along the faultline".
A shift in the faultline is a shift in the faultline. There's no atmospheric change, at least not enough to bring snow in unexpectedly.

Maybe you could ask her to explain to you how a shift in a faultline could cause any changes in the atmosphere. She'd have a hard time explaining that one.

Pete <- bitter about all this snow nonsense.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Che

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SpazGirl
The weather I heard was sunny & only 11 tomorrow - I think 17 is wishful thinking!! where's my patio weather dammit?? I had to dig out my gloves & earmuffs this morning. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

SpazGirl:(
Hi Jill!

:D

SpazGirl

TRIBE Member
Hey boys!!!! I'm glad to have met you both - had a great time Friday & sunday. I'll see you guys again soon I'm sure!!!

SpazGirl

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Would have to be quite the earthquake...

A 5.4 is fuckall anyway... might want to point out to her that the scale is logarithmic...

So, a 6 on the scale is 10 times stronger than a 5.... a 7 is 100 times stronger than a 5... an 8 is 1000 times stronger...

An 8.6 hit Chile back in 1960... the resulting tsunami caused a wack of damage in Hawaii, but no snow or locusts.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
I was on my way back to Toronto and spending a night crashing at a friend's in Montreal when the earthquake shook me awake.

I was staying in my friend's studio and everything was shaking, including me and the old heavy-looking 'chandalier'-thing directly above me.

I had an argument with myself about moving out from underneath it or falling back to sleep - I chose falling back to sleep. Lazy, evil bastard.

When I fell asleep I had a dream that someone took out part of NYC with a small suitcase nuke :( and the earth had shook in Montreal. When I woke up I wasn't sure it (the earthquake) had really happened or was part of the dream.

Boo

TRIBE Member
An earthquake - No. A volcano - Yes. When Mt Vesuvious (sp) errupted the ash that was released caused a global tempature drop of about 2 degees celcius for approximately 2 years.

The only way an earthquake could cause such a tempature change is if we actually moved closer to one of the poles geographically as a result of the quake. 5.5 is not going to do that :)

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey

i told her that i highly doubted that. but i'm far from being a meterologist, can an earthquake cause a significant change in weather?
This weather was forecasted last week, before the earthquake.

~jen
(who got woken up by the weird icy-storm thing this morning...damn snow! Damn earthquakes! Let me sleep already!)