• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Earthquake in Tokyo

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Just happened. No details yet but apparently it was large. You OK Swilly?

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-asia/2005/oct/16/101606533.html
Earthquake Shakes Tall Buildings in Tokyo

ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO (AP) - A magnitude-5.1 earthquake shook eastern Japan on Sunday, swaying tall buildings in the capital Tokyo, the Japanese Meteorological Agency said.

National broadcaster NHK said there was no risk of tsunamis and there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The quake was centered northeast of the capital, NHK said.

Japan sits at the juncture of four tectonic plates - or moving slabs of the earth's outer crust. It is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries.

A powerful magnitude-7.6 struck the divided Himalayan territory of Kashmir on Oct. 8, killing more than 38,000 people on the Pakistani side and more than 1,300 on the Indian side.
it's on AP, i guess only a few papers (las vegas sun wtf?) have picked it up so far.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
frightening...all the monsterous buildings placed on land adjacent to these ' known for a long time ' shifts in the gound.

akiras

TRIBE Member
I was told once that Japan is trying to move the capital city from Tokyo to Sendai, mainly because of the potential for large earthquakes, and secondly terrorist attacks, in Tokyo. Japan has changed its capital in the past, but it's not a quick process. Earthquakes are definitely a great risk in Japan, especially Tokyo.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
My brother has lived in Japan for almost 10 years and there was an earthquake when I visited. Scared the crap out of me, but they're used to it because they're so common. ..I think that's why they're not really news. Most of them have little to no effect on the people and the buildings.

Originally posted by rejenerate
My brother has lived in Japan for almost 10 years and there was an earthquake when I visited. Scared the crap out of me, but they're used to it because they're so common. ..I think that's why they're not really news. Most of them have little to no effect on the people and the buildings.
A friend of mine couldn't tell the difference between living in Japan and Los Angeles when it came to earthquakes. The only thing he found disconcerting was the amount of high rises in Japan, compared to the huge urban sprawl that Los Angeles was.

akiras

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
When I lived there I experienced at least half a dozen over a time span of a year. Most of them were relatively small. Earthquake training in schools is standard and routine, kids know how to dive under their desks pretty quickly if need be.

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ndrwrld
frightening...all the monsterous buildings placed on land adjacent to these ' known for a long time ' shifts in the gound.
While I don't know how true this is for their skyscrapers...Japan has been building with earthquakes in mind for thousands of years. Their construction techniques were very highly advanced even 1000 years ago.

rockstardom

TRIBE Member
I live just north of Narita Airport and it was a decent one, but I felt worse in my time here in Japan....was watching a movie on my laptop when it happened and it made great effects as my laptop screen would not stop shaking!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
The news is only talking about the upcoming typhoon, and i haven't seen anything about any quake....

-jM
A&D

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Tokyo skyscrapers are highly engineered for earthquakes.

Where I might worry would be somewhere like Shanghai that's going through massive development and corruption in the construction industry is rife.