1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Earthquake in Tokyo

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Oct 16, 2005.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Just happened. No details yet but apparently it was large. You OK Swilly?

2. mattt416

mattt416 TRIBE Member

weird, nothing on news.bbc.co.uk.

3. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-asia/2005/oct/16/101606533.html
    it's on AP, i guess only a few papers (las vegas sun wtf?) have picked it up so far.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

frightening...all the monsterous buildings placed on land adjacent to these ' known for a long time ' shifts in the gound.

5. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

Dad is flying there today.

6. akiras

akiras TRIBE Member

I was told once that Japan is trying to move the capital city from Tokyo to Sendai, mainly because of the potential for large earthquakes, and secondly terrorist attacks, in Tokyo. Japan has changed its capital in the past, but it's not a quick process. Earthquakes are definitely a great risk in Japan, especially Tokyo.

7. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

My brother has lived in Japan for almost 10 years and there was an earthquake when I visited. Scared the crap out of me, but they're used to it because they're so common. ..I think that's why they're not really news. Most of them have little to no effect on the people and the buildings.

8. A friend of mine couldn't tell the difference between living in Japan and Los Angeles when it came to earthquakes. The only thing he found disconcerting was the amount of high rises in Japan, compared to the huge urban sprawl that Los Angeles was.

9. akiras

akiras TRIBE Member

When I lived there I experienced at least half a dozen over a time span of a year. Most of them were relatively small. Earthquake training in schools is standard and routine, kids know how to dive under their desks pretty quickly if need be.

10. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

While I don't know how true this is for their skyscrapers...Japan has been building with earthquakes in mind for thousands of years. Their construction techniques were very highly advanced even 1000 years ago.

11. rockstardom

rockstardom TRIBE Member

I live just north of Narita Airport and it was a decent one, but I felt worse in my time here in Japan....was watching a movie on my laptop when it happened and it made great effects as my laptop screen would not stop shaking!

12. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

The news is only talking about the upcoming typhoon, and i haven't seen anything about any quake....

-jM
    A&D

13. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

14. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah, Tokyo skyscrapers are highly engineered for earthquakes.

Where I might worry would be somewhere like Shanghai that's going through massive development and corruption in the construction industry is rife.

15. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I hope he's not okay!

16. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr