1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

EARTHQUAKE in pakistan/india

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

7.6 on the richtor scale. death toll is at 3,000.

in other news, mudslides in guatemala have killed almost 700.

stupid message board jokes aside, i hope everyone who has relatives and friends out there have been able to confirm that they're all safe and sound.

i hope the level of canadian monetary aid is appropriate. the property damage and death toll from this earthquake is about 3 times that of hurricane katrina.

2. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

horrid...

:(

I particularly hate hearing of natural disasters in developing nations-their resources are spread so thin as it is.

3. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

Im kinda speechless about the things that are happening right now around the world...

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

i think it is all because of global warming and climate change.

5. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

All these events started when tribe lost the breaks room. Coincedince? hmmm....

6. DaPhatConductor

DaPhatConductor TRIBE Promoter

...I think NOT!

;)

7. El Diablo

El Diablo New Member

[rant]
    No disrespect to the injured, lost, etc, but with all that's gone on in the world in the past little while how much more money can we actually give? If disasters like this keep occuring we'll be broke! Infact, aren't we already broke? How can we keep giving money away!?!

I'm all for helping the less fortunate in times of need, but who's gonna help us when we run out of money and resources to give? The US? Pffft... they'll probably see it as a perfect oppurtunity to swoop in and steal our lumber and fresh water.

Hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, terrorists... who's gonna help us when it all turns north?

Did you know that the Pickering Nuclear plant is built on the intersection of 2 fault lines?
    [/rant]

8. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

^ we are one of the richest countries in the world. we are certainly not "broke."

i would gladly pay more taxes in the name of worldwide social responsibility.

i just wonder what canada's level of aid is going to be. as unfortunate as it is, i figure the aid will be proportionate to the level of media coverage being granted to the situation. will major canadian networks donate prime-time space to telephons rasing money for pakistan/india, like they did for new orleans? i'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

9. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

^I was just about to page you....

thanks...

so would I

10. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Re: Re: EARTHQUAKE in pakistan/india

VIN DIESEL.

11. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad TRIBE Member

Just saw on the beeb that Pakistan expects it's death toll to be about 18,000. Link here

12. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Re: Re: EARTHQUAKE in pakistan/india

I think as long as you can afford a computer and an internet connection to post on tribe you can't call yourself anything close to broke. Broke is when you live in a makeshift house in India (or anywhere else in the world, for that matter) that's made of sticks and sheets of plastic, and upon that you get an earthquake that destroys everything you own. Until you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back and shoes on your feet, please don't say that you're broke.

13. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

jokes aside, i don't see how its even close to having the same kind of property damage (in $ figures) as Katrina. Katrina was far greater than the tsunami as far as property damage goes.

also an aside, although I agree with you on the increased tax to aid social causes, I would say you are probably in the top 10% of all earners in the country and can affort to make such a statement. I'm all for helping those abroad, but its around 15-20% of this country's children who also live in poverty.

edit: just to add, do you think that our coverage of Katrina had anything to do with our proximity and cultural ties to the US? DO you think that thailand covered their own Tsunami with more spunk than Katrina, or pakistan covering the loss in India?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  14. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

15. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I wish I could offer more than what feels like a completely empty and inadequate gesture of sorrow. :(

16. Hamza

Hamza TRIBE Member

still trying to get in touch with relatives....

17. randyval

randyval TRIBE Member

its good to see a fast response on the part of the governement to the disaster.

18. annec

annec TRIBE Member

19. annec

annec TRIBE Member

If you want the Prime Minister to give more, email him at pm@pm.gc.ca

20. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: EARTHQUAKE in pakistan/india

...and now a random fact about Vin Diesel:

Vin Diesel converted his liver into a black hole through sheer willpower.

21. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

I was speaking to someone the other day who said something that was somewhat interesting about the current state of the world...

they said that the world is resetting itself. the ice caps are melting, the storms are getting worse and in the last year or two, the natural disasters are getting more and more severe.

22. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

23. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

bbc news here

death toll reaches 19,000
    40,0000 injured

holy god...

24. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

25. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member