• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

earthquake in IRAN: 10,000 feared dead

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1072439351674&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Iran quake kills up to 10,000
More than half of city of Bam destroyed, officials say

ALI AKBAR DAREINI
ASSOCIATED PRESS

TEHRAN - A severe earthquake devastated the historic city of Bam in southeast Iran today, and a preliminary estimate said the death toll could reach 10,000.

Hasan Khoshrou, a legislator for Kerman province where the quake occurred, said there was still no precise number of dead from the magnitude 6.7 quake, but officials working in Bam had given him that figure.

"The quake hit the city when most of the people were in bed, raising fears that the death toll may go higher," he said.

Officials surveying the city of 80,000 people from helicopter said about 60 per cent of Bam's houses were destroyed, Khoshrou said. Water, power and phone lines were cut. The earthquake struck at about 5:30 a.m.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake's magnitude was 6.7, capable of causing severe damage. It reported an aftershock of magnitude 5.4 about two hours later.

Authorities in Bam, 1,000 kilometres southeast of the capital Tehran, put out a call for blood donations.

"Many people have died," Kerman province Gov. Mohammad Ali Karimi told state media. "Many people are buried under the rubble."

Relief teams set up their headquarters in a public square in Bam because their offices in the governor's building had been ruined, Karimi told state radio.

Karimi said worried relatives from surrounding areas were heading to Bam and causing massive traffic jams that were slowing rescue efforts. He urged them to stay home and wait until phone service was restored to try to find relatives.

Reports said the earthquake destroyed Bam's medieval fortress, a massive, 2,000-year-old structure that sits on a cliff near the city and attracts thousands of tourists each year. The fortress includes scores of ancient mud huts.

"The historic quarter of the city has been completely destroyed and caused great human loss," said Mehran Nourbakhsh, chief spokesman for Iran's Red Crescent, the Islamic equivalent of the Red Cross.

A reporter for Turkey's private NTV channel said Bam looks as if it had been hit by a bomb. "People are trying to pull bodies out of the rubble. All windows are smashed," said the reporter, who was in Bam.

"People have started walking toward Kerman — many complaining of a lack of aid," the reporter added. Kerman city is 190 kilometres northwest of Bam.

"We are doing everything we can to rescue the injured and unearth the dead," state television quoted Karimi as saying.

The United Nations disaster management team in Tehran has asked the Iranian government if it needs help and was to meet later Friday to assess the situation, said Elizabeth Byrs, spokeswoman for the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs, based in Geneva.

She said there had been no request from Tehran so far.

Roy Probert, spokesman for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, said the umbrella group also has had no requests. Probert said the Iranian Red Crescent is well-prepared for earthquakes.

Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed his condolences over the earthquake.

In a telegram to Iranian President Mohamed Khatami, Putin said he was "deeply shocked by an earthquake in Iran that brought numerous victims and destruction" and offered his "sincere condolences to the leadership and people of Iran."

Russian Emergency Situations Ministry spokeswoman Marina Ryklina said that two Il-76 transport aircraft with rescue workers and equipment were to leave for Iran later Friday.

Hardly any buildings in Iran are built to withstand earthquakes, although the country sits on several major faultlines and temblors are frequent. An earthquake of magnitude 7.3 to 7.7 killed 50,000 people in June 1990, and most recently, a magnitude 6 quake in June 2002 killed 500 people.

Also Friday, a magnitude 4 quake rocked the western Iranian town of Masjid Soleiman at 8:10 a.m., but no casualties were immediately reported, state television said. Masjid Soleiman is about 950 kilometres northwest of Bam.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
talk about the difference eh... california has 2 earthquakes in the last week and i think 1 or 2 people died... tragic....

iran has an earth quake of the same magnitude.. and almost the entire city is destroyed.

:(

so tragic.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
There's a considerable difference in the engineering in the 2 different areas dude.

California lies along a known fault line and so, buildings are built to withstand earthquakes for the most part.
However, Iran is an area that doesn't have earthquakes often (but they are close to 2 fault lines... so this was entirely flukey.
Of course, it's the flukey ones't that do the most damage, right?
I mean... look at Turkey...

Us Torontonians are extremely fortunate. We don't live anywhere near danger. (although there was an earthquake in ohio in 99)

Supposedly there was an earthquake in ohio, very clost to Erie, PA this year... it measured 2.5.
Ohio has a large incidence of small earthquakes, which is kinda weird because it's mid tectonic.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
oh trust.. i recognize the difference between the areas.. thats what my comment meant..... just crazy the difference between them

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
eep!
I forgot about the Lake Ontario quake...
it measured 3.8 and was about 30km southeast of Oshawa
yep was that the one i felt a few years ago.. but i recall 3 in the past 5 years or so...

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
That's awful
I heard about that this morning.
The magnitude was the same in California but only 3 got killed.
That's insane.

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MalGlo

Reports said the earthquake destroyed Bam's medieval fortress, a massive, 2,000-year-old structure that sits on a cliff near the city and attracts thousands of tourists each year. The fortress includes scores of ancient mud huts.
ugh.

that's horrible.

faaaak.

Resolver

TRIBE Member
I remember in '88 we had one right here in T.O. I was living in a high rise and all that I remember is that I was sitting down eating dinner and my place was tilting. I still remember my mom in the hallway with this expression on her face like WTF??? Unforgetable but no harm done.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I can just hear all the Christian fundimentalists now. Going off about how it was a sign & proof of their God's existence/strength/anger towards the Islamic world during this time of Jesus.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by OTIS
I can just hear all the Christian fundimentalists now. Going off about how it was a sign & proof of their God's existence/strength/anger towards the Islamic world during this time of Jesus.
I can't wait until Bush is hiding at Camp David next year, just before the election, and a massive earthquake wipes him and his cronies out.

Why, I'll even wonder if there's a god then.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Ok, Iran officially declared around 20,000 dead, 50,000 injured.. this is major fuct. It keeps rising.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Insane :(

http://www.reuters.com/locales/newsArticle.jsp?type=worldNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4047900

Frantic hunt for Iran quake survivors, 20,000 dead
By Parisa Hafezi

BAM, Iran (Reuters) - Survivors of an earthquake that devastated Iran's ancient Silk Road city of Bam, killing more than 20,000 people, dug frantically with bare hands through the night early on Saturday for anyone buried alive.

U.S. President George W. Bush, who once branded Iran part of an "axis of evil" for allegedly developing weapons of mass destruction, and other world leaders rushed to offer whatever help they could to the Islamic Republic.

The pre-dawn quake on Friday also injured some 50,000 people, government officials said. It measured 6.3 on the Richter scale and struck when most people were still asleep in their homes.

About 70 per cent of Bam, a popular tourist spot some 1,000 km southeast of the capital Tehran with an historic citadel and other centuries-old buildings, was levelled.

Reuters witnesses in Bam said hundreds of corpses were bundled into trucks and the back seats of cars. Distraught relatives wailed next to bodies wrapped in blankets.

Many residents were feared trapped under the rubble and the city of 200,000 in Iran's Kerman province was without water, power or fuel as night temperatures headed below freezing. Some people accused the government of doing nothing to help them.

DEATH TOLL MOUNTS

"The (death toll) is now more than 20,000," said a senior government official, as survivors lit fires to stay warm in the open amid the mass of flattened mud-brick houses.

"I have lost all my family. My parents, my grandmother and two sisters are under the rubble," said Maryam, 17.

One grief-stricken old woman, her face covered with dirt, just kept saying: "My child, my child."

Washington has no official ties with Tehran, but Bush said in a statement: "We stand ready to help the people of Iran."

A spokesman for Bush said Washington would be offering humanitarian aid, and a U.S. official said the State Department would be announcing an aid package soon.

The United Nations, European Union countries, Russia, Poland, Japan, Turkey and others also heeded Iran's appeals for help from the international community. They pledged doctors, medical supplies and rescuers with sniffer dogs and special equipment to locate survivors.

Russia ordered medical rapid-response units and dog-handlers to seek those trapped. Germany was flying in blankets and winter coats for those huddled in the bitter cold.

"We need help, otherwise we will be pulling corpses, not the injured, out of the rubble," Brigadier Mohammadi, commander of the army in southeast Iran, told state television.

INJURED TREATED AMID RUBBLE

Rubble-strewn pavements were lined with injured, some on intravenous drips.

State media said two hospitals had collapsed, crushing many of the staff, and remaining hospitals were full. The injured were being ferried to neighbouring towns.

Mechanised diggers hollowed out trenches where the dead were hastily buried without rites.

A large part of the ancient citadel was destroyed, Kerman province governor Mohammad Ali Karimi said. Dating back 2,000 years, it had sprawling fortifications, towers, buildings, stables and a mosque. It was the city's main tourist attraction.

"The city of Bam must be built from scratch," said its governor Ali Shafiee.

Houses in the date-growing area are traditionally made from mud-brick, making them vulnerable to earthquakes.

Bam is on the old Silk Road route between China and Europe used by merchants and travellers for centuries. It is a tourist spot with inns, a theological school and bazaars.

In Tehran, state television showed people queuing to give blood. Bakeries in Shiraz said they would make bread from dusk until dawn as their contribution to the aid effort.

Quakes are a regular occurrence in Iran, an oil-producing country crossed by major faultlines in the earth's structure.

In June last year, a tremor measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale hit northern Iran, killing at least 229 people and injuring more than 1,000.

Some 35,000 people were killed in 1990 when earthquakes of up to 7.7 on the Richter scale hit the northwest of Iran. Tehran was hit by a quake of about seven on the Richter scale in 1830.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
omg.

....just catching up on news now (3 days behind)...fuck that. :(

Has anyone seen an official white house press release yet? Have they responded? Has the UN responded?

dj_jake_the_snake

TRIBE Member
the cbc is saying that 25000 are now dead. It amazes me how is can go from 10 thousand to 25 thousand all in one day. this is a tragic day for iran.

billy

TRIBE Member
I haven't caught todays news (was travelling home) but the last report I saw mentioned the 20,000 estimate but noted that it could double (!) by the end of it all. They also mentioned a population of 80,000 which essentially would mean half the city, but an earlier post here says 200,000. It doesn't make it any less disturbing though.

I do wonder if the Americans ever put things in perspective vis-a-vis the couple thousand at the WTC.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
From an article in the Star today:

"Canadians wishing to make a financial donation to the Red Cross can call 1-800-418-1111 or contact their local Canadian Red Cross office. Starting today, the Red Cross will take inquiries from Canadians searching for news of relatives in the affected area, to be sent to the Iranian Red Crescent. Local Red Cross offices will have details.

The Canadian Red Cross provided $100,000 to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, which is working in collaboration with the Iranian Red Crescent in quake-stricken Bam. These funds will help provide tents, plastic sheets, blankets, kitchen sets, water purification tablets, electricity generators and kerosene heaters.

UNICEF has also raced to the rescue, sending more than 40 tonnes of relief supplies on two flights to Iran.

"While the urgent search for survivors continues, it is equally urgent to care for the thousands of children left homeless by this devastating quake," said Kari Egge, UNICEF representative in Iran, adding people are spending cold nights in the street."

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by billy

I do wonder if the Americans ever put things in perspective vis-a-vis the couple thousand at the WTC.
If they do, it will be to blame the earthquake on Canada

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract

Us Torontonians are extremely fortunate. We don't live anywhere near danger. (although there was an earthquake in ohio in 99)

I thought we were near or on a fault line that goes through LAke Erie/Lake Ontario...........right along the border. I don't know the Geographics of it. But I swear I heard this once.

It's not an active fault line, but a Fault line non-the-less. Soemthing to do with the Canadian Shield or something. It so vague, my memory is...........

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by billy

What's that supposed to mean? What kind of perspective would you have if 2,000 Canadians died in one morning due to an act of man?

~jen