• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Earplug Questions

simms327

TRIBE Member
Hi all! I know there have been threads like this before, but I have some specific questions so would like them answered.

I went to a club this past Saturday and had a great time, however it was really loud, and towards the end it was really bothering me, and today my ears are kind of sore – and that’s not cool. I forgot to bring earplugs - usually I bring foam cheap ones, and they didn’t have any behind the bar. So considering that the next few months are party heavy here in Toronto I thought it would be a good idea to take my ears seriously.

Anyway I remembered reading back here a while ago about fancy earplugs and have been looking into them, specifically the Etymotic ER-20s (https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx). They provide between 15-20db of noise reduction, and apparently do so at all frequencies so the sound does not sound muffled or distorted. This appeals to me as I find the foam cheap ear plugs are often too quiet and they make the music sound much different.

However, the foam ones provide up to 30db of noise cancellation, which is better if my ears are my top priority.

So my questions are:

1) Does anybody have any experience with these earplugs or competitors (if there are any)?

2) Do they cut the sound equally across all frequencies as advertised?

3) Are they significantly better than the foam cheapies, in terms of noise reduction and sound quality?

4) How are they for comfort? I find the foam cheapies not too bad but after 5-6 hours they really start to bug me. However something about the ER-20s seems uncomfortable to me? Can anyone comment on this?

5) Online from Etymotic’s webpage they are USD$12, and I phoned Long and McQuade here in Toronto, and they said they sold them for CAD$150, I asked the guy to double check it and he said that’s how much they cost (crazy!) Has anybody ordered them online or bought them in Toronto?

6) And any other tid-bits of info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks for your help everyone. Ears are super important, as that is why we go to these parties!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
simms327 said:
So my questions are:

1) Does anybody have any experience with these earplugs or competitors (if there are any)?

2) Do they cut the sound equally across all frequencies as advertised?

3) Are they significantly better than the foam cheapies, in terms of noise reduction and sound quality?

4) How are they for comfort? I find the foam cheapies not too bad but after 5-6 hours they really start to bug me. However something about the ER-20s seems uncomfortable to me? Can anyone comment on this?

5) Online from Etymotic’s webpage they are USD$12, and I phoned Long and McQuade here in Toronto, and they said they sold them for CAD$150, I asked the guy to double check it and he said that’s how much they cost (crazy!) Has anybody ordered them online or bought them in Toronto?

6) And any other tid-bits of info would be highly appreciated!
1. I've owned a pair and loved them. I lost them a while back but replaced them with a knock off pair that I think my Dad got in a travel bag on some airline. However, the knock off pair might be the actual same product (just in promotional colours), I haven't noticed a difference in soud quality.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Very comfortable.

5. I ordered them online through Etymotic's website.

6. They are well worth the purchase.

vox

TRIBE Member
you're probably better off getting custom ones fitted from an audiologist.

i went to the hearing centre at danforth and coxwell (they fit the rolling stones for their in-ear monitors when they're in town!). they take a mould of your inner ear, then fit you with earplugs.

so you don't lose any sound quality, it just reduces the decibels.

mine cost $150 or something and they were well worth it.

you also get a hearing test while you're there.

deep

TRIBE Member
1-3 - answered in previous posts I've made on the subject. If you search for "etymotic" I am sure you'll find more info.

4 - comfort is okay, obviously not as good as custom fitted ones. If soft foam irritates you after a few hours, harder rubber/plastic will probably bother you more. Depending on the shape of your ear canal it may or may not be comfortable, it's really something you'd have to try and find out.

5 - I am 100% positive the guy at long and mcquade thought you were inquiring about Etymotic's higher end custom fitted musician's ear plugs, not the ER20s. The higher end custom fitted jobbies, you first get fitted for at an audiologist, who then makes you a set. You can also specify the level of noise reduction. Some insurance plans cover such custom ear plugs.

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
Protect your ears!
If I wear the highlight yellow plugs in clubs, people don't even notice. You have to shove them in there pretty far though for them to be not so noticable.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

marcinm

TRIBE Member
djdeposit said:
Protect your ears!
If I wear the highlight yellow plugs in clubs, people don't even notice. You have to shove them in there pretty far though for them to be not so noticable.
i find if you shove them in really far it hurts your ears.

simms327

TRIBE Member
when you say highlight yellow plugs do you mean the yellow ER-20s (i dont think they have yellow ones) or the cheap foam yellow ones?

djdeposit said:
Protect your ears!

Karim

TRIBE Member
I have the ER20's and the best thing to do is to put them in when you enter the club and leave them in all night. Just because they don't sound as good as with no earplugs at all. If you don't get a chance to hear the club sound, you get used to the earplug sound and therefore don't really notice too much of a difference.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I have very shallow ear canals.....and I use the foam ones as well as the florescent orange puffy ones when i'm in a club. Despite the fact that half the ear plug sits outside my ear (remember....my canals are not deep at all so I can't push them in any further) I always use them when I go out. Unfortunately...you can definitely see them when I wear them....but I don't care.

I also use the same earplugs when I play with my band. I still feel that I'm able to hear everything.

When I don't wear them.......the buzzing of my ears afterwords is horrible....especially when I'm trying to get some sleep......

BUzzzzzzzzzzZZZzzzz :mad:

deevah

TRIBE Member
thanks for the link - perfect timing! i was just going to buy some online...

i usually wear the orange foamey ones and yes, the sound quality isn't quite as good but for most clubs here in TO, the sound quality isn't that great to begin with

i HAVE to wear earplugs, especially if i end up in a space beside the stacks...gotta save what's left of the hearing....i plan on partying for many more years to come

bblutoo

TRIBE Member
i once had an earplug almost get stuck in my ear. i think it was a childs earplug. i ran to a mirror and started pulling and twisting my ear in all kinds of unnatural directions.

have you ever seen fear...in your own eyes?

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
bblutoo said:
i once had an earplug almost get stuck in my ear. i think it was a childs earplug. i ran to a mirror and started pulling and twisting my ear in all kinds of unnatural directions.

have you ever seen fear...in your own eyes?
ha! I can imagine the temporary panic ...where's a good freind to laugh at you when you need one.

I just use the cheap skin coloured ear plugs available at Shoppers. You get 12 pairs for $5 or so. I usually cut them in half so they aren't poppin out of my ear. Works like a charm.

Good for sleeping beside snorers too.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Did you try rolling a napkin up and putting into your ears? If you don't have them, this is your backup.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I love my etymotic earplugs. I usually wear them for most of the night when I'm out, but occasionally take them out when I want to be assaulted. ;)