• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Earning your scrapes and scars

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I have a small white dot on my nose. I earned it one Christmas after trying to extinguish a candle in a ceramic snowman. This candle was resistant to being snuffed out. Merely blowing on it did not seem to work.

So I took in a huge breath and exhaled as hard as I could. In return, a gigantic fireball exploded in my face, taking a chunk of my nose.

Ok, next story...

praktik

TRIBE Member
Knelt too close to the batter playing street baseball as catcher...

On the windup got nailed just below the eye. Still have a little scar you can see faintly if i am wincing and smiling. Almost lost an eye.

First i learned it was better to be a pitcher than a catcher

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I had the same thing. Broke my cheek bone

my shins look like they've been shot up with a bb machine gun. Mountain biking pedal wounds. So they're badass :p

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Bit my lip almost completely off.. Shit was hanging! At least the scar is barely noticeable. Also, wall mounted speaker fell on my face and I cried for the glue instead if stitches, that scar you can see. Sheeit.

Jay

kuba

TRIBE Member
In grade 6 my friend Bryce Mitchell and I were playing baseball.

I gave him the bat after it was my turn, he took a swing and on the rebound he hit me in the lip. Cut me right open, ouch. massive slice on the lip, stitches galore.

Grade 10 I was helping my uncle in the US build a home, and I accidentally almost chopped my hand off by putting it inside a table saw. Almost died on the way when the developer drove a 911 turbo and had us going 180 in the deep woods of connecticut to the highway to the hospital, at which point he dropped me off and drove away didn't help me go in as my hand is literally cut in half and hanging. I went to the receptionist, she asked me to sit down when I opened my shirt (which was ripped off in one fell swoop by the developer) and the blood went flying all over the place - i fainted.

3 years ago I was riding on a mountain bike and made a tight turn, hit my shoulder perfectly and broke my hummurus bone in 7 places, it's shattered with a metal plate and 10 screws. The scar is nice.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
One night, I came home from drinking heavily. My roomate was there and we engaged in casual conversation when eventually, Dungeons and Dragons came up. I get excited about nerd stuff because I rarely ever get to flex those limp muscles. We live in a house with an apartment that has two floors. The second floor which encompasses the kitchen, his room and the bathroom, and the third floor that has my bedroom and the common room.

So, as we were talking in my kitchen, I was drinking whiskey. When D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) came up I became super excited and ran upstairs to my room which houses many, many volumes of various rulebooks and adventures. I grabbed the essentials, eager to share my enthusiasm with him and because I was wasted and excited, fell down a steep set of stairs in the process. The fall was as graceful as a hippo making love to a giraffe. In that time, the glass full of whiskey I had fell out of my hands, tumbled down the stairs with me, breaking. Those broken shards of glass found their way into my back, where my ribs are. I ruined a $300 sweater and $200 shirt because of it. Due to my inebriation, I didn't feel a thing, and pulled each shard of glass out of my back. Since then, I've had nasty dark scars on my skin that still show for this day (my scars show very prominently)

Lesson learned for me was - never tell people you're a loser. Because you're a loser.

Last edited:

alison87

TRIBE Member
I have a hypertrophic scar on my shoulder that i occasionally get asked about. It happened almost exactly 9 years ago. One of my best friends and i had been flirting a while, and after a big Valentine's Day on the drink we started making out, which was probably not the best idea because i was in a long-term relationship at the time. Needless to say that ended. Pro tip: don't cheat on Valentine's Day. A week or two later we found ourselves in a club and went to the bathroom together for some reason i don't remember (it wasn't drugs). Either way, one thing led to another and i was on my knees in the stall and she was on the toilet. We were young and thrilled to be new-found fuck buddies. Her fingers moved around and touched some spot, i threw my head back, and my shoulder went slamming into the serrated steel teeth of one of those massive industrial toilet roll holders. So instead of her seeing my O-face, i saw her Oh-Fuck-You're-Bleeding-face. She jumped up in a flash and started freaking out about HIV. Meanwhile there is blood pissing out of my shoulder because i'm pretty heavily intoxicated, and we're both wondering what the fuck to do. After a couple minutes we de-freaked ourselves and made it back to the bar, where the bartender gave me a rag to make a tourniquet so we could party the rest of the night.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Flipped over my bike (some said I hit a tree, and my memory was fuzzy after I fell) and broke the fall with my face. Ended up in emerg, no bone damage, just road rash and gouging on my forehead, cheek, chin, and around my eye. Spend a few weeks with bandages all over my face, and an eye patch. I still have a permanent scar next to my left eye, but I've learned to like it. Gives my ugly face some character.

acheron

TRIBE Member
three little dents on my forehead.

1) my brother tossed me into the corner of a marble coffee table when I was three.

2) while waiting for ice time on the rink in the park at the bottom of my street, the neighbourhood bully celebrated a goal by tossing his stick into the air, which arced and came down and hit my forehead. Ran home bleeding, my mother fixed me up and then we went back to the rink where she tore a strip off the bully and I felt a lot better.

3) in the yard at my school in grade 6, someone tossed a popcan full of snow at me.

I also have three pieces of graphite lodged under my skin. Two in my forearm and one in my palm. All from stupid pencil-in-the-back-pocket mishaps.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
1) Took a gnarly jump on my bike when I was a kid and my feet slipped off my pedals when I landed. Completely raked my shins. I look like a mui thai boxer now. Hashtag badass.

2) Tore my Achilles so I have a cool scar on my left ankle.

3) Someone stabbed me with a screw driver in my shoulder when I was 18. It blends it with my stretch marks now.

tripleup

TRIBE Member
I have a collection, most from being the co-victim of a hit an run in my early twenties.

I was riding my motorcycle northbound on Bathhurst just before Finch and a a gold minivan swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid an orange cat. He crossed all 6 lanes and took me out.

Both forearms are covered in white ripples of scar tissue, shifter dug into my left ankle @ the achilles, and other large spots where asphalt took more than what grew back.

Funny part being the co-victim was the cat. Debris from the bike hit the curb and smoked him too.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Drunken skinny dipping accident - separated shoulder
Krav Maga - blown knee, multiple cracked teeth
Ski jumping - blown knees
Finger in blender - scarred finger
Dove for spare change - lost a tooth

Brandon

TRIBE Member
I have a 2 cm scar on the top of my left index finger between the first and second knuckle from a time when I reached into the fridge to grab a bottle of Pepsi and caught my hand on the edge of the shelf as I was withdrawing it.

I also have a bump on the back of my head, put there by my brother, who heaved a rock at me after I squirted him with a water pistol and then took off across a vacant lot when I was about 10 years old.

djfear

TRIBE Member
One night, I came home from drinking heavily. My roomate was there and we engaged in casual conversation when eventually, Dungeons and Dragons came up. I get excited about nerd stuff because I rarely ever get to flex those limp muscles. We live in a house with an apartment that has two floors. The second floor which encompasses the kitchen, his room and the bathroom, and the third floor that has my bedroom and the common room.

So, as we were talking in my kitchen, I was drinking whiskey. When D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) came up I became super excited and ran upstairs to my room which houses many, many volumes of various rulebooks and adventures. I grabbed the essentials, eager to share my enthusiasm with him and because I was wasted and excited, fell down a steep set of stairs in the process. The fall was as graceful as a hippo making love to a giraffe. In that time, the glass full of whiskey I had fell out of my hands, tumbled down the stairs with me, breaking. Those broken shards of glass found their way into my back, where my ribs are. I ruined a $300 sweater and $200 shirt because of it. Due to my inebriation, I didn't feel a thing, and pulled each shard of glass out of my back. Since then, I've had nasty dark scars on my skin that still show for this day (my scars show very prominently)

Lesson learned for me was - never tell people you're a loser. Because you're a loser.
Advanced D&D 2nd Edition brop brop.

I have a couple of scars and other wonderful things... one very faint scar happened when I was making pancakes and splashed oil on my right forearm. I didn't pour water on it fast enough and didn't hold it under the tap long enough either. I also happen to love pancakes to this day and try to have them every weekend.

Last year Sunday (day before Family Day) I sprained my ankle so badly that I was taken out of Joe Rockheads rock climbing gym in a stretcher and went to St Mikes in an ambulance. My left ankle will never look or be the same. I ended up going to my parents place so they could take care of me, and in the mean time I ended up meeting my current gf. We're about to celebrate our 1 year anniversary this weekend and she's been living with me since the summer.

alison87

TRIBE Member
I'm now thinking my shoulder scar might have been 10 years ago, because of the many scars on my fingers, one has a Tribe-related story that's must have happened in 2005 or 2006. Either way, it was almost 10 years after i had started going to raves and i decided for the first time to get into the candy kid thing. All my (younger) friends had phat pants and candy bracelets and fuzzy hoodies and they always looked like they were having so much fun. Eventually i bought some of the gear too, but one weekend after looking at the line-ups it seemed there was nowhere new and exciting to wear it. Well, nowhere except the goth club, that is.

We called together our crew and staged a rave invasion. We charged in with candy bracelets from wrist to elbow, rave dancing every time they dropped New Order or The Cure, and standing around smiling with bemusement at the "tree dance" all those frilly-shirted vampire types did every time some epically romantic funeral dirge came on. Being a goth party, someone had bought scotch, and dropped it on the drinks shelf that skirted the dancefloor. Being a goth party, it was dark. So, when i drunkenly went to pick up my glass of rave beer, i sliced my fingers open. It was one of the worst finger injuries i have ever had. I fell to the floor with blood pissing everywhere. I started hyperventilating, and some nice goth chick in a corset took me into the bathroom and tried to nurse me back to health. She had some band-aids and toilet paper, but the bleeding was so effusive nothing helped.

Then my girlfriend came to the rescue. She said "i know a guy", so we stumbled outside, where as usual for weekend peak hour, there was a 45-minute wait for a cab. And my girlfriend found The Guy. He comes up to me, all candy bracelets and Crocodile Dundee. Says "i was a combat medic in Iraq, don't worry, i'll fix you up". Meanwhile i have almost passed out from blood-loss and the tip of my finger is hanging off. He goes into his bag and pulls out a knife and some bandages and tape and shit and says "i'll just fix you up like we did in Iraq" and proceeded to tourniquet my finger so tightly the bleeding finally stopped.

My girlfriend eventually got me home, where i could finally pass out. Next morning instead of going to the real doctor, i called another rave doctor - aka that med student who everyone would hit up for pharmaceutical coke. Anywho, he rocks up and cuts off the tourniquet. Meanwhile the tip of my finger hasn't fallen off, but is now white and looks deader than the goths' faces from the night before. He cooked up some saline solution in my kitchen to "sterilize" it and bandaged it up all nice and doctory. I never did end up going to a "real" doctor, and for months i had no sensation at all in that finger. But now it's just another scar.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Tripped and fell on this past New Year's Eve, nasty scar on my chin, still early to tell what it'll be, but it has already managed to ruin many nice things for me, while also creating some unforeseen opportunities. Regardless, it will serve as a constant reminder of my complete lack of ability to moderate while also rubbing my face in the fact that I've blown yet another opportunity with somebody nice.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
burger king bathroom, grade 5. went in to drop a #2, and friends kept coming in and kicking the door open. i figured i'd moon them next time they did, payback. so, next time door is kicked in, i turn to moon them and crack my mouth on the handicap assistance bar. shatter 3 teeth and basically slice my bottom lip off. so i'm standing there with a shitty ass, pants around my ankles, teeth scattered all over the floor, and blood pouring out of my mouth. didn't know whether to wipe my butt first and pull up my pants or deal with the river of blood flowing out of my mouth. (went with the mouth first). dozens of stitches, 3 root canals, and 3 fake teeth all within 24 hours. friends still make fun of me for that, 25 years later.

c.

silver1

TRIBE Member
When I was about 2 years old I was running around my Aunt's house. Fell and hit a corner of a wall where the doorway was. That opened a perfectly verticle gash in the center of my forehead.

The very day the stitches came out, I was running around the house, fell and hit the edge of a coffee table in the very same spot. It made a new horizontal scar, and re-opened the verticle one.

So I was left with a cross/plus sign scar on my forehead.

Fast forward to when I was around 9 or 10, I came home from tobogganing. My socks were soaked. I slipped on the bathroom tile and hit my forehead in the exact same spot on the toilet. It made a diagonal scar along the side of the old scars.

I'm now left with what looks like an "A" in the middle of my forehead.

Then there was the time I got the tips of two of my fingers chopped off by a sewer grate when I was in grade 6.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
I didn't exactly earn it, but when I was super fucked up after Freakin one year trying to carve a pumpkin, I tripped or fell and landed chin first on the kitchen table on the way down. I don't remember it being painful and I didn't even realize I was bleeding profusely until my roommate came in and freaked out. CZ won out over the ER so I didn't get stitched up. It's an inch long but thankfully it is on the underside of my chin and not visible head-on.
I think it was the best possible outcome; had I continued with the pumpkin, I would have sawed off some digits for sure.
KickIt may even remember this, he was there.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I was outside a bar smoking at 3pm on a Saturday.

It was a shithole bar and the clientelle were for the most parts drug dealers, well, more drug users, some prozzies, some unemployed people who try to always scam drinks off people. A Cuban. Ah, the Cuban.

While I was smoking I must have said something condescending to someone because I got punched so hard in the eye that my eyebrow split, and a second blow knocked my ear clean off to the earlobe, where it hung like a poorly made hallowe'en mask.

I don't remember that part but I remember waking up and walking straight out of the hospital and into a cabbie and back to the bar.

cab> "You don't look so good man, what's the trouble?"
me> "I don't think there's any trouble."

I didn't remember being hit.

Eventually I ended up back at the hospital and they sowed up my eyebrow and reconnected my ear which took about six hours, and then they put me in the drunk tank.

I still have a scar on my eyebrow but it's hard to see since there's hair over most of it, and the ear scar is behind my ear so only the people who lick there get to enjoy it.

-jM
A&D

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Small nike swoosh-like scar on my forehead: got it at the age of 4 from an old-style pepsi can. Fell onto it head first while stepping down off a porch and losing my balance(whilst drinking said pepsi).

Not-so-visible teeth marks in my head along my part-line: Chasing girls when I was 7. Tried to cut 'er off at the pass, and did. Teeth first into my noggin, concussed.

Most visible scar: upper lip,from my lip to my nose(pretty close to anyway). Not a great story, was born with a very large birthmark there which thankfully my parents had removed. 2 cosmetic surgeries, 30 stitches in all. Now I rarely get comments but the most memorable was "did you get hit in the face with a shovel as a kid?".

Good times.