1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

E3 Predicitions 2009

Discussion in 'Technology' started by elektrofunk, Mar 2, 2009.

1. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

I know it's 3 months away but hey E3 rumours are always interesting. So if you have any predictions unfounded or some truth to it post it here!

here are my unfounded predictions.

MS:
    MS likes to save their annoucement sperm and blow a huge load at E3. I'm not the biggest MS observer but surely they'll annouce some exclusive DLC for big multiplatform titles and maybe new exclusive titles developed by superstar developers? Cliffy B or dare I say Kojima? I can't really think of any more thunder they can take from Sony that they haven't already...maybe finally a Metal Gear title for the 360?

Possible a 720 annoucement but interating the fact it's waaay into the future? New 360 model with a blu-ray drive (i know i know shot down many many times already)

Sony:
    Release dates for big 1st party titles like God of War and Uncharted 2, and some annoucements for unnonced 1st party stuff possibly developed by external studios (the infamous rockstar exclisive title?)
    New PSP model? PS3 price cut if not annouced before?

Nintendo:
    Maybe looking to be more hardcore gamer annoucements after taking flack last year for being too casual based.

2. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

Mostly just new software. Nobodys really announced their software plans for the year. We don't know whats coming out. It seems like (and I REALLLLLY hope that) publishers have learned not to launch EVERYthing in Q4 also, so we may see titles spread out through the year too , including rushed summer titles. There have been really few big titles announced for 2009 from anybody.

I dont expect much/any new first party hardware of sigificance. Maybe a new psp incarnation if anything and the usual array of crappy thirdparty garbage. I wouldnt be suprised for apple to show up though as they're pushing gaming a little more now with the iphone.

3. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

i was thinking maybe apple may use e3 as their big coming out party for gaming.

4. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

I would be really surprised to see the announcement of a new PSP, even though rumours are flying right now. God of War 3, Uncharted 2, and that Massive Action Game thingy are probably a lock (even though they're Q1 2010), maybe some Gran Turismo news too. PS3 price cut by ~$100 has been rumoured for a while so they might do that at E3.

We'll probably see some previews for a few of the bigger summer games - Fight Night 4, Tekken 6, and maybe even COD: Modern Warfare 2

For the 360: No way do they want to touch Xbox 720 at this point because that's inviting a collapse of 360 sales. Other than that, Kojima has said that a 360 Metal Gear probably won't work because of all the cutscenes but who knows, a stripped-down verson of MGS4 would certainly sell. I know there is a Metal Gear coming for iPhone too.

It's too hard to say now what will be shown at E3 - a lot of the 'surprises' are often leaked ahead of time anyways.

5. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

yeah seems like they're easing into gaming though. first iphone, and ipod then i suspect mac mini will get an interface to let you play iphone/ipid games on it, or on your big screen while still using the iphone/ipod as controller....and gradually easing in more social games. they're pushing to being nintendo's competition in a way.

Any yeah, I dont really expect a new PSP, i just think if we see any new hardware, that'll be it.

But flashy is right, none of these announcements are ever a surprise anyhow. They always 'leak' for buzz. maybe a couple games might 'suprise' is like a new tom clancy shooter though it would only suprise us in that we dont know specifics even though we all kindof figured it was coming.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. Flashy_McFlash

They should make a Tom Clancy game where you play as Tom Clancy.

7. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

you have to keep checking your mailbox every day for a fresh cheque, if you dont check often enough it overflows and you die. if you check too often you break the mailbox and you die.

8. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

more psp game annnoucements at least from Sony.

they stated the LBP for the system is only one of three AAA titles for the system in the works.

Kojima stated he is working on a couple games geared towards western audience...so i wouldn't be surprised that MS might take a run at it for exclusivity. Possibly just a Metal Gear online title for the box.
    More on Alan Wake for the 360 to counter Heavy Rain as they seem kind of similar.
    More info on the splinter cell game for the 360.

Bungie developed title for ps3?
    insomniac title for 360?
    David Jaffe titles for ps3 (he's confirmed to be working on a few including a twisted metal)
    A rumoured syphon filter for the ps3.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

MS: I'm guessing that they'll will play it safe and stick to it's established gameplan. More info on Halo: ODST, Forza - Alan Wake? - and the next GTA4 dlc. I'd be shocked if they talked about the 360 successor or a BD add-on.

Sony: Price cut, price cut, price cut. Maybe some more love for the PSP, and hopefully movie/tv support for the Playstation Stores outside of the States. I'd love a Killzone 3 announcement (I know! But the SP is really that good).

Nintendo: Who knows? A few new games for the hardcore audience?

10. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

I finally fired up Vegas 2 last night. Holy Shnikies! It's actually an excellent FPS.

11. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

any killzone annoucement might come in DLC (co-op!) for the ps3 game and maybe killzone liberation 2 for the portable.

That apple things sounds neat Raijo using the touch as a controller and all.

12. Flashy_McFlash

I was thinking you sign lucrative branding agreements, but if you sign off on the "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Kart Racing" your brand becomes diluted and you fail.

I've heard rumblings of a second God Of War title for PSP, so that could be one of the three marquee titles. Maybe there'll be some Home stuff announced too - there's quite a bit of content for that coming down the pipe, especially this week with the Watchmen stuff.

13. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

and yeah...Gran Turismo for ps3 please.

their DLC promises for prologue have come a bit short with only three new cars, no new tracks and the promised damage feature.

14. Flashy_McFlash

15. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

i havent been paying attention to dante's inferno at ALL but im told its supprisingly good though unoriginal.

PS: i WOULD play rainbow 6 kart racing, but only if I could use a sniper rifle on straightaways.

I would be shocked and dissapointed it the PS3 didn't get a price cut announced soon.

16. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

That's fucking hilarious.

When I was reading chunks of the Divine Comedy @ uni, I never imagined Dante himself slashing his way to rescue Beatrice.

In the same vein, there's Quantum Theory coming up for the PS3, so maybe E3 will have some more stuff on that. It is a direct rip-off of Gears.

17. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

It would be nice if Nintendo came out with and HD add on. The big N needs to find some reason to use those USB ports they added to that unit.

18. Flashy_McFlash

I think if they go really adult with it, it could be really good. When you think about it, the structure of the Circles is totally made for a video game, albeit an M-rated one.

Let me break it down for you. The problem with the Wii is the same problem the Maple Leafs have - they can release any old crap and as long as people continue to buy it or support it in record numbers, there is no incentive whatsoever to improve in any measurable way.

Nintendo has sat on its laurels for way too long with the Wii but it isn't reflected in game sales or console numbers, so why start now? There's absolutely nothing of value for the Wii on the horizon (with the POSSIBLE exception of Punch Out) but if people are happy playing just Wii Fit and Wii Sports, why bother?

19. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

people still care about E3?

The expo is dead - it just doesn't know it yet.

On that note, anyone going to GDC at all? Usually my company sends me there, but stupid recession is preventing me from going this year :(

20. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

This is supposed to be the beginning of E3's renaissance.

21. elektrofunk

elektrofunk TRIBE Member

maybe we'll see more of war devil for the ps3.

Annouced a while back and never heard anything further.

everyone whos had a private showing of the game seems to thinks it will be the cats meow.

I think they've got big plans for it. annoucned first at like 2005 (ala K2) an there seems to be a Short Movie in the works for games as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVXn17WUeJ8

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  22. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

world of world of warcraft!

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Please - oh pleasse - let's hope F-Zero for the Wii makes an appearance!

24. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I'm hoping the Wii will make some big strides this year, but like others have said why would they need to when that thing prints money for the big N.

25. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

prediction: all but 2 games will be either a remake, sequel, or spinoff.