1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

e-bikes on bike paths: yes or no

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, May 31, 2010.

?

Ban e-bikes from bike paths in Toronto?

1. Ban e-bikes from bike paths

29 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. Don't ban e-bikes from bike paths

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

OK, at first I thought e-bikes were just for fat people, because when the occasional one would sneak up behind me on the bike path and it was inevitably ridden by a huge doughy person who out to have really been physically pushing pedals.

Now however, I am seeing more and more of them, and also e-bike stores are opening up everywhere, in my Leslieville neighborhood.

They are so big, they take up the entire bike lane. It seems to me that they are basically motorcycles that have pedals stuck on the side of them to avoid licensing. They are not "green" as they recharge off our electricity grid (natural gas, oil, nuclear primarily), and they seem to be made mostly out of extruded plastic.

I think there are soon going to be so many on the bike paths that they will push us regular cyclists out of them.

I want them banned from the bike paths, do you?

2. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Bike paths should be for non-motorized vehicles only.

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Oh damn. I read the poll as "e-bikes on bike paths: yes or no" so voted "No" as I don't think they should be on the path but now I notice the poll is actually "Ban e-bikes from bike paths in Toronto?" in which case my vote would be "Yes".

Kinda confusing alex.

4. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

i'm assuming this e-bike is an electric bike? Does it look like a regular bike or more like a moped? Do you still have to pedal?

5. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

no. It's a bike that you can ride really happy for a couple of hours and requires lots of water and repetitive music................and then it crashes.

6. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    ^-- that kind of e-bike? should stay off of the paths.

7. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

I'm a year-round commuter cyclist and I don't have any real problem with e-bikes in the bike lanes.

1. There are not a ton of people on e-bikes

2. e-bikers are lazy pussies, and they don't really go fast enough to keep up in a car lane

So I say for the whopping 2-3 e-bikers I see a week, as long as they know how to conduct themselves in a bike lane, who cares.

at least vespas don't go in the bike lanes, the few times I've seen scooter operators in the bike lanes it made me pretty pissed (and it's illegal for them to do it).

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I fixed the language so it makes more sense. I have also moved your vote into the yes category

9. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

E - Bikes a have a max speed of like 32 km/h.

you dont need a motorcycle license to buy one, ride one, you dont need to insure them, or plate them.

therefore they do not fall under the motorized vehicle standard, and are legally allowed to be on the bike paths.

most of the paths i have seen, are easily wide enough to accommodate them, and personally when i am driving my car and they are in the way on the road, they are adding more problems to the already congested city traffic.

so to keep them in the bike lanes is better IMO, and courteous people riding them should when seeing a cyclist, honk and or pass them at a safe distance.

its all common sense, and there are people on normal bikes that take up the entire bike lane as well.

so leave them on the paths and bike lanes, so they are not annoyances for the drivers in toronto.

[jai]

10. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

Getting single occupancy commuters out of cars should be one of the number one priorities for Toronto. If that mean cyclist have to share path ways, it shouldn't be a problem.

11. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

no to e-bikes and while we're at it lets get rid of the flippin roller bladers. they're the worst as they sway back and forth across the entire width of the path.

12. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

How the hell did cyclists gain this sense of entitlement?

13. glych t.anomaly

those paths are for people that walk, bike, rollerblade, skateboard, and any other means of travel that is legally allowed.

they are not JUST for bikes, thats unbelievably close minded.

[jai]

14. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

I feel that e-bikes are just too big. And they seem to keep up well with traffic on Harbord everyday. Tough question here.....

15. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I think this depends on the type of bike path...

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

^^
    this is the simplest and most correct answer to this issue. (and that's why every1 jumped over this comment)

any other opinions / comments past sleepy giant's are simply discussion for discussion's sake.

17. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Seriously.

They're on an ebike for christ sakes... they don't even have the strength move themselves, nevermind defend themselves.

I say leave them be.. it's still one less car and if the whole world was full of ebike riders, i don't think it would be a bad thing.

By the initial reasoning of this thread, recumbent bikes should be expelled from the bike lanes too?

18. glych t.anomaly

might as well not let older people on their little 6 km/h scooter things on the paths as well, cuz they are a menace.

its fucking retarded.

any biker that cannot get past another person on the path, fails at biking IMO, fuck, slow down and get on the grass for 2 secs and get past them.

to complain about this shit is petty and pathetic.

[jai]

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

bingobango.

who cares!

20. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I say no because it's the only vote punishing the fat and lazy.

But really, keep the motors off the bike baths.

21. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I actually heard someone scream at an EBiker while pointing at a sign stating "No motorised vehicles allowed you idiot"

to which the EBiker replied "It's not motorised it's electric you retard"

EBiker double fail

22. glych t.anomaly

Electric Bicycles ("e-bikes") - FAQ

its the law, therefore all your points are moot. they can be there, suck it up.

till there is a municipal by-law in toronto stating otherwise, people just need to get used to it and adapt.

[jai]

23. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The discussion isn't whether they can be there it's they should be there.

24. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Oh and just so we're clear what we are talking about here:

[​IMG]

I don't think this belongs on a recreational trail at all.

25. derek

derek TRIBE Member

bike lanes on city streets yes. recreational paths in parks no.