1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Dumbass Students Complain About OSAP's Food $$$

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by MoFo, Mar 9, 2010.

1. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/edu...a-day-is-all-you-get-on-the-student-osap-diet

It’s not just about missing her Starbucks London Fog tea – although at $4.50 a cup, half her new budget would be used up.

Nor is it the submarine sandwich she’ll have to skip as she races from class to work; on $7.50 a day, the only sandwich Rachel Crane can afford is home-made.

“How many cucumber sandwiches can I eat before I wither away?” asked the fourth-year Brock University student, a Georgetown native.

Crane is one of four Ontario undergraduates who will spend the next three weeks eating on just $7.50 a day, the amount the province’s student aid program provides for food. In daily blogs and twice-weekly videos, they hope to show the need for Ontario to raise its student loan ceilings.

To cut costs, Crane will seek one of the $25 emergency grocery vouchers Brock’s student union offers cash-strapped students; this year it has upped the number of vouchers to 105 from 75 last year because of the recession.

“What I’ll really miss is the fresh fruit and vegetables you need to be healthy,” said the 22-year-old business major. “OSAP assumes students should live below the poverty line, and that’s not good, especially for students who need the energy you get from healthy eating,” said the fourth-year student.

The Food For Thought campaign – a sort of OSAP diet that starts Monday, was launched by the Ontario Undergraduate Students’ Alliance to highlight the fact Queen’s Park has not raised student loan limits in four years.

“They did a great thing four years ago but it hasn’t been enough - especially not when poverty reduction is a big part of this government’s strategy,” said Alexi White, the alliance’s executive director.

The Ontario government overhauled student aid in 2005, boosting loans by $358 million a year by 2010 and introducing the first non-repayable grants for low-income students in more than a decade.

Now, as post-secondary institutions await the government’s next multi-year funding plan, White warns OSAP’s annual living allowance for a single student living away from home is only $12,540 a year – below Ontario’s poverty line of about $15,200 for rural areas to $22,171 in big cities.

“The government also expects students to be able to save $2,170 from summer earnings – even though the student unemployment rate last year was 16.4 per cent,” said White. He noted too that students who earn more than $50 a week during the year to supplement their loan have that amount clawed back from their loan payments.

“Campus food banks are on the rise and it’s not fair that the government assesses student need at an unrealistically low level,” he said.

Among the other “Food For Thought” bloggers;

* Andrew Beach is a theology and political science major at the University of Western Ontario who will take part in the campaign by making lots of pasta to take to campus – cheap carbo-loading - and shopping at No-Frills;
    * Queen’s University music student Sarah Baker will blog about her efforts to cook her own food, from muffins to casseroles, and forego chips and chocolate;
    * Political science major Nick Gibson of Wilfrid Laurier University plans to use his parents’ Costco membership to buy groceries and avoid fast food.

“My aunt gave me a cook book recently – I guess I’ll start trying out recipes.”

-------------------

First of all, if you're smart enough to do post-secondary, you should be smart enough to make your own food.

Second, I work full-time and I eat for less than $7.50 a day. And some of you know me, I am a fucking pig when it comes to eating. I had two bowls of fruit yesterday. Cost me less than $2.

Third, get a fucking job. The government isn't here for you to sit on your white ass and order from Subway in between classes.

Fourth, look up Chinatown douchebags.

*pant pant pant foaming at the mouth*

2. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

You can't eat for $52 a week? Who are you, the Queen?

GET A FUCKING JOB, SHITHEADS.

Okay, I sound like my father but I can't staaaaaaaaaaaaand this kind of mentality.

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

You do understand that if they get a job that makes over $50 a week that they get that money clawed back from their loan payments.

4. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Right. So they can stop borrowing money. Even better.

5. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Yeah, I'll agree with Mofo in ways.
    I mostly eat at home, and my weekly budget for that is around 30$ week.
    And I'm eating fucking steak and shrimp! And fresh veggies. And making lasagna.

Thing is, these kids grew up on processed food crap, which is expensive. Should they learn to eat real food, their budgets would be halved.

That being said, I also did the starving student thing, so I can also relate to the conundrums expressed above. (because, I mean seriously, try doing courses in theoretical physics, etc., while crashing through every idiot *student* job.... You know, the Great Contradiction between Smarten Up and Dumb It Down)

6. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

:eek:
    Not a home-made sandwich!! The humanity!

Seriously.
    1) Go to Food Basics or No Frills
    2) Buy cheap bread and lunch meat
    3) Profit

7. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

The every increasing "the world owes me an unrealistic comfort level" thing that's happening is getting really tiresome.

I blame MTV.

8. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

In the student's defence, it's not always so easy to make all your own food, which is what you have to do at $50 a week. Classes and labs can happen at any time of day, and squeezing in the amount of studying and other work that has to be done doesn't allow the luxury of making your own dinner, let alone lunch, every day.

Hahaha. Me talking about labs and shit. That's funny....

-jM
    A&D

9. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Probably not organic... Grapes cost like $2 each at The Big Carrot!

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

holy christ what is wrong with you

11. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

If you showed this article to an immigrant family, they'd roll their eyes.

12. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

So you make food and freeze it so you can reheat it. Or you make pre-packaged foods you can eat without heating it. Um, I do that NOW.

13. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

No but I eat organic Boston lettuce and bananas. And how do I afford that? It's called a job.

Making people more dependent on a system means debt, incompetence and a sense of entitlement.

Why aren't we talking about how to improve both systems: the gov't and the individual's thought processes? I don't even want to read someone's blog that states that they're tired of eating cucumber sandwiches. So go buy some meat, you dumbass.

14. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

dodido mofo does have a point though. There are several Vietmanese places in Chinatown and scattered throughout Montreal that sell these awesome Vietnamese subs for $2.50 - $3.00 a pop. And they're 10X better than all that Subway crap.
    That being said, a lot of food enterprises that set up shop near universities and even on campus are all these Subway/Second Cup types places. So it's a convenience thing.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

wtf are you talking about. like w.t.f. are you talking about.

16. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Well, I don't know if a $2.50 sub with pate and butter is good for you.
    But I bought 10 apples for a $1 yesterday. And 3 pints of strawberries for $2. So ya.

You can roast a whole chicken for $4.99.

17. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Did you not eat very healthy in college or are you just a dumbass yourself?

18. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

them kids are probably too young to understand that making food at home IS the healthier way.

stupid kids.

19. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Take it easy, race warrior Mofo.

Dumb student cakers from the sticks ≠ the entire white race

20. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

uh, no... 2.50$-$3.00 subs with fresh shredded pork, spicy piments, coriander... They're fucking delicious, and super healthy.
    Les Merveilles de Vietnam here. On rue St-Denis just off Mont-Royal. When in Montreal, check it.

21. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I have never seen a whole chicken for 4.99, and if I did these days its quality would be suspect...

22. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Grocery stores, brah.

23. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Okay. Maybe I'm more pissed about people who bitch about OSAP when they shouldn't be solely dependent on that. Maybe I'm more angry at parents who don't assist in supporting their children.

Maybe I'm just pissed!

24. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

So the solution for students across the province is to send them to Chinatown to shop for produce?

25. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Food Basics had em last week. All gone obviously. No Frills, any Chinatown butcher has cheap chickens.