• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dude walks out of LCBO with a $26,000 scotch.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
amazing.

Toronto police are looking for a thief with expensive tastes.

They say a man went into a downtown liquor store earlier this month and went to the vintage section, where he selected a rare bottle of 50-year-old Glenfiddich Single Malt scotch.

The 700-millilitre bottle, which was in a glass case, is worth $26,000.

Police say the man then selected a bottle of wine and paid for that, but left the store without paying for the Scotch.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...bottle-of-glenfiddich-scotch/article11501144/

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
"scam artists" or "encouraging socially responsible consumption of alcohol by artificially regulating prices"....you choose
But they don't just regulate prices.... they regulate prices, PLUS are protected by laws preventing anyone else from selling alcohol and generating a profit. Seriously.... the same people are allowed to Control the entire sale and distribution and pricing of alcohol in Ontario, AND be the ones allowed to do the selling and collect the profit?

Fuck me.... I still have a hard time processing the fact that nobody in Ontario seems to give a shit.

acheron

TRIBE Member
so apparently people in Alberta are cheap bastards while people in Ontario like to splash out

videotronic

TRIBE Member
But they don't just regulate prices.... they regulate prices, PLUS are protected by laws preventing anyone else from selling alcohol and generating a profit. Seriously.... the same people are allowed to Control the entire sale and distribution and pricing of alcohol in Ontario, AND be the ones allowed to do the selling and collect the profit?

Fuck me.... I still have a hard time processing the fact that nobody in Ontario seems to give a shit.
sarcasm bro. i think the LCBO is as much of a scam as the next guy.

that said, their gouging contributes a lot of $ to the province's coffers. truthfully i probably don't know enough to have a real opinion

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
amazing.

Toronto police are looking for a thief with expensive tastes.

They say a man went into a downtown liquor store earlier this month and went to the vintage section, where he selected a rare bottle of 50-year-old Glenfiddich Single Malt scotch.

The 700-millilitre bottle, which was in a glass case, is worth $26,000.

Police say the man then selected a bottle of wine and paid for that, but left the store without paying for the Scotch.
Toronto thief makes off with $26,000 bottle of Glenfiddich scotch - The Globe and Mail
They keep the crazy expensive bottles under lock and key . I always assumed if you wanted to buy one they'd put it aside for you at the special counter and you'd have to pay for it before they give it to you. They wouldn't just give it to you to carry around in the store before you've paid. What if you dropped it and broke it.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
They keep the crazy expensive bottles under lock and key . I always assumed if you wanted to buy one they'd put it aside for you at the special counter and you'd have to pay for it before they give it to you. They wouldn't just give it to you to carry around in the store before you've paid. What if you dropped it and broke it.
if you knock over like a bottle of vodka they just come mop that shit up! no pay...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Any time I got a bottle under lock and key, the employee brought the bottle to a cashier and you're left to your own methods to figure out which cashier they left it at.

Dude probably caught a new employee in training or something.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member

Would you rather have a cheaper product and have no benefit from the billions of dollars that we as alcohol consumers put into the LCBO system?

Or would you rather pay a slight premium and see billions of dollars yearly being fed back into the governance of our province?

I'd prefer the latter, but I'm just a pragmatist at heart.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Would you rather have a cheaper product and have no benefit from the billions of dollars that we as alcohol consumers put into the LCBO system?

Or would you rather pay a slight premium and see billions of dollars yearly being fed back into the governance of our province?

I'd prefer the latter, but I'm just a pragmatist at heart.
I'd prefer the LCBO to do things like for example, actually negotiate for cheaper prices when buying large quantities and then pass on the savings to us.

They don't do this I'm guessing because they can still make the same profit in mark up on the liquor but then also pad their profit line with the greater tax revenue that comes from the higher wholesale price they buy it at.

As well, I have to imagine that there's massive massive waste within the bureaucracy of the LCBO and their profits could actually be way higher.

But, I don't know enough to really comment about it with confidence.

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
But, I don't know enough to really comment about it with confidence.
$4.7 billion--LCBO's net sales and other income in 2011-12
$1.63 billion--Dividend the LCBO transferred to the Government of Ontario for 2011-12 (excluding taxes)
$12.9 billion--Amount the LCBO has transferred to the Ontario treasury during the last 10 fiscal years combined (excluding taxes) to 2011-12

50.2% LCBO's profit margin
15.8% LCBO's operational expenses

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I go to the liquor store in the Beaches near the Movie theatre. I also go to the one near Front and Sherbourne when I have band. The last four times I have gone into those establishments, a person has run out of the store stealing a 26er or huge bottle of liquor.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
My LCBO (Dundas yonge) has uniformed security whenever it's open and a uniformed cop on duty thurs fri and sat afternoons/evenings hahaha

Ghetttoooooooo