1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

dubstep...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by lok, Mar 24, 2010.

1. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Where is all the dubstep?

Your fan,
    Lok

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

yeah there has not been alot of new stuff in there.

im glad im sitting on like 50 GB of dubstep to get me through the dry spells.

muahahaha

[jai]

3. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

Dear lok,

let's throw a dubstep party.

your friend,
    Aphro

4. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

5. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Dont even fuck with me I am so down.

6. glych t.anomaly

lok,

did you know that Caspa played in town last night, there is the Dubslingers that were playing at thymless and Hudson Mohawk is playing tonight?

[jai]

7. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Jai,

Did you know that CASPA is TONIGHT and not yesterday.

See you there ;)

Regards,

Bobby Lawn

8. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

9. glych t.anomaly

i got my dates mixed up,

and i wont be going, laying low till next month.

trying to quit smoking cigs and party wont help, as well, still recovering financially from the wedding.

wish i was though.

[jai]

10. glych t.anomaly

egads i got my days mixed up right good, i thought it was right THURsday today.

bah.

[jai]

11. Shug

Shug TRIBE Member

morelikeshitstepamirite?

12. lok

lok TRIBE Member

The fact that I have to goto Toronto Dubstep instead of Tribe just shows how antiquated and irrelevant this place has become. <3

What happened to my one stop rave shop?

13. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

dear lok:

put a request for it in the "request a set" thread in the DJ mixes forum.

or, use the search feature in that forum.

jeez.

14. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    Wub Wub Wub Wub WANWANWANWANWAN Wub Wan Wub Wan Dubstep *Jazz Hands*

15. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Touchy touchy

Search feature is used.. just a lot of older stuff that I've already collected. Also Watcher's post pretty much sums up the local attitude towards Dubstep. Communities are communities.

16. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Lulz

17. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I actually like Dubstep and am listening to some right now while working on some work documents, but I do find it to be a bit one dimentional and not very fun to dance to and you need a good sound system to truely appreciate it which is often lacking in our venues that cater to the dubsteppers... after an hour or so I'm done with it for a couple of days.

Just the latest fad to hit a bit of a mainstream audience. I think it'll peak in Toronto later this summer and maybe next year, but won't be so big 2 years from now. It's HUGE on the west coast.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Same. But more like 30 minutes.

It has probably already peaked. Looking back, it hit probably the same level of popularity in Toronto as UKG/grime. Maybe a *touch* more.

19. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Rock & Roll is a fad, Punk is a fad, Hip - Hop is a fad, Jungle is a fad, House is a fad, blah blah blah.

20. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

:rolleyes:

You're going to seriously argue that dubstep has reached the same levels of popular appeal, longevity or imprint on the wider conciousness as any of the above? Give me a break.

21. glych t.anomaly

i like how people are spouting their personal opinions on Dubstep, and comparing it to the other genres of music in toronto.

if you actually go out to Dubstep shows, the good ones, the turn outs rival that of techno parties.

there is actually ALOT of weekly dubstep shows, and more and more coming each month. big names, and the local talent is fucking amazing.

for the quality of the music lately, i would say it intrigues me ALOT more than most of the techno, tech house, and house that is available, and i am a fan of ALL of it.

Jungle in this city is pretty much sunk.
    trance and club music sucks.

rock shows are boring and full of douchebag scenester cunts and hipster wankers.

Techno/tech house and Dubstep/Glitch are the only two things worth going to in this city.

if you dont like it, fine thats your personal opinion.

to say the scene is not growing and getting better every day, is a statement born out of ignorance.

i can dance my fucking ass off to both techno and dub/glitch, breaks, jungle, whatever, if you like to dance and can find the rhythm in the beat, go nuts.

but Dubstep is here, and its going to be here, and more and more people will like it.

and to all the haters, to quote Cartman...

Love.Sex.Dubstep.

[jai]

22. unique2100

Edit for Diablo : Dude it's been what 5-6 years now? Give me a break. Toronto's most successful mid week weekly in years is a dubstep event. T.O. has 2 seperate scenes for it. Headliners are here on almost a weekly basis. Tons of producers are now making Dubstep its influence has crossed over in to the mainstream, it's all over TV and in film. Open your eyes. (this being said I'm not a Dubstep head but do enjoy it on ocassion.)

For Glych: re: Jungle I think you've got your eyes closed. Huge headliners pass through here regularly, as well as the underground guys. There are a number of weekly. Take a look at Andy C's last appearance at Circa main room packed to the tits. Your bias is showing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  23. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Dude, you talk about "personal opinion" and then spew venom on everything that isn't dubstep. :rolleyes:

The fact that big club owners will toss one of their rooms to the genre of the moment means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. Different people like different stuff.

It's great that the fans have a zeal for the music, but you don't have to convince everyone else that it's a massive cultural monolith because UK DJs stop by once or twice a month.

Not to take anything away from anyone, but come on...a Wednesday night at Thymeless (while a great night in its own right) is hardly a sign of widespread cultural dominance.

There were UKG radio hits here ("Fill Me In" by Craig David, "You Got It Bad" by Usher), drum+bass in countless car commercials (for the record, I've heard no dubstep on TV), and producers like Photek and Goldie had major studio albums and remixed top-of-the-heap popular artists. And now? Outside of London, these genres are largely finished.

The fact that a few pop producers have cottoned on to an underground trend means nothing. This has been happening for 50 years.

24. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

wow. diablo continues to prove how out of touch and jaded he really is. who wants to pitch in for his next case of coors lite?

25. unique2100

Indeed. Dubsteps influence here in the UK is fucking ridiculous can't change the channel without hearing it.