• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dubstep

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
So like...what is it? I heard some at Mutek but was not in any condition to properly listen to it. Some people loved it...some people hated it. What are your opinions?

Who/what should I listen to so I can decide if I like this stuff or not?

Music snobbery will be loved in this thread. ;)

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
go to the dj mixes forum.

search dubstep.

Splattermonkey also posted some dubstep tracks he made in there

Crass

TRIBE Member
depends.

I like it, but couldn't handle a whole night listening to it. But mixing it with dnb is great technics1200

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Nesta

TRIBE Member
check out anything from burial. i'm not even sure if it's dubstep, but it's absolutely brilliant! pure future music.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Some of it I like, some of it I don't. I've enjoyed some of the stuff put out by Shackleton, Burial, 2562, but haven't really gone digging around in the genre too much myself yet.

There was a Viral Radio mix I downloaded awhile ago that I really enjoyed, but the link for it is dead. When I get in from work I'll re-up it and post the link.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Nesta said:
pure future music.
Dragging that baggage/expectations along didn't work out too well for techno now did it?

Anything referencing dub is in kind of a unique space that is more interesting than reductionist taglines like "retro" of "futuristic"..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
check out barefiles dot cum for a smattering of all that is good in dubstep...

keep in mind the genre is open to many different styles, much like any genre. you might hear ten songs and not like any, then find five and they will BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND AWAY.

Trust me.

haven't heard too many new tunes, but check out elmalkay, benga, coki, ... ummm

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks for the tips guys :). Downloaded a bunch of stuff and will be listening to it one of these days.

squidly said:
i don't know about an entire night of it, but it's good to have on in the background.

*ducks*
honestly, i felt the same way... however, i promise you if you come to the Guv for Canada Day and listen to Benga in the Kool Haus, you WILL change your mind.

just like any genre, there's chilling style, and there's dance and bang your head like a maniac style...

technics1200

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
exrboy said:
So like...what is it? I heard some at Mutek but was not in any condition to properly listen to it. Some people loved it...some people hated it. What are your opinions?

Who/what should I listen to so I can decide if I like this stuff or not?

Music snobbery will be loved in this thread. ;)

The dubstep you heard at Mutek was top notch and with top notch sound. Martyn and Kode 9.

Flying Lotus threw in a bunch in his set as well. Consider yourself privy to a great introduction.

As someone mentioned, dubstepforum.com is the best place on earth for dubstep and many producers give away tunes for free.

http://www.tradebit.com/usr/palmsout/pub/3005/Bangin.mp3

Si Begg - Bangin

possibly one of the best dubstep tracks, gives you insta screw face in the best way possible. listen loud.

I'd also reccommend Vaccine or Boxcutter if you like the more dreamy shit.
D1, Darkstar, Coki, Martyn and Loefah for the really make-you-wanna-poo bass.
The new iTAL tEK album and the new Mary Anne Hobb's Evangeline are must gets.
Need anything else, hit me up on aim: olszanowska

Btw, BENGA is coming to town on July 1!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd also GENTLY force you to download the Skream August 2005 mix.

---

Finally, welcome to the dubstep years of your life & download this mix.

Kode 9 vs Flying Lotus on Rinse.fm

http://www.n3k4.com/dubstepmp3s/Kode9201107.mp3

1] Heralds Of Change - Spotted
2] Rustie - Soapy Tits- beatnicks
3] Zomby - Spliff Dub [Rustie Rmx] Big fucking tune.
4] Ikonika - Please
5] Joker - Gully Brook Lane
6] DJ Mitsu the Beats - Negative Ion (Sa-Ra Remix)
7] Pattie Blingh - To: Re (Samiyam Mix)
8] Flying Lotus - Roberta Flack

Fly Lo steps in

9] Cookie Skit... lol
10] ?
11] ?
12] ?
13] Alien Skit
14] ???

Kode 9 on

****15]**** don't think there's a track in here
16] Kode 9 - Konfusion
17] Mashup with Tugged Out Bitches / Backwards
18] TRG - Broken Heart (Martyn's DCM remix)
19] James Yorkston - Woozy with Cider (Kode9 Rmx)
20] Mala - Unexpected
21] The Bug & Flowdan - Skeng [Kode 9 Rmx]

Fly Lo

22] ?
23] ?
24] ?
25] Madvillian - Shadows Of Tomorrow Feat. Lord Quasimoto [Flying Lotus Remix]
26] J Dilla - Lightworks [Remix?]
27] Mr Oizo - $tunt [Flying Lotus Remix]
28] ?
29] ?
30] ?
31] ? Sounds Familiar Fly Lo I think

Kode 9

32] Quarta330 - Bleeps From Outer Space (i think)
33] Mala - City Cycle
34] Dabrye - Air Feat. Doom [Kode 9 Remix]
35] Martyn - Velvet
36] Ikonika - Simulacrum
37] Kode 9 - ???
38] Badawi - Den of Drumz (Kode9 Rmx)

Fly Lo

39] ?
38] ?
39] Flying Lotus - Massage Situation
40] Si Begg - Bangin
41] ?
42] ?
43] Flying Lotus - Riot
44] ?
45] ?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Cognitive Dissonance said:
keep in mind the genre is open to many different styles, much like any genre. you might hear ten songs and not like any, then find five and they will BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND AWAY.

Trust me.

/QUOTE]

exactly.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Check out these splendid interviews with Burial

http://www.cyclicdefrost.com/blog/?p=1519

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

He has some cracking quotes, e.g:

"It's more about when you come back from being out somewhere; in a minicab or a night bus, or with someone, or walking home across London late at night, dreamlike, and you've still got the music kind of echoing in you, in your bloodstream, but with real life trying to get in the way. I want it to be like a little sanctuary. It's like that 24-hour stand selling tea on a rainy night, glowing in the dark. It's pretty simple."

"I would sit around waiting for night to fall, wait for summer to end. Or I would go out, wait for it to get dark, and then I'd go back and work on it, sort of hypnotise myself. I love that feeling when you know that almost everyone in your city is asleep, or you go out and listen to your tunes in someone's car at night. It's like hibernating.

"When I'm awake all night, sometimes I see the people and the city waking up around me. I feel a little bit moody at them for stepping into my night-time. What I want is that feeling when you're in the rain, or a storm. It's a shiver at the edge of your mind, an atmosphere of hearing a sad, distant sound, but it seems closer - like it's just for you. Like hearing rain or a whale-song, a cry in the dark, the far cry."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders