• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

dubstep = fresh!

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
Pretty much agree with most peeps on the board regarding dub-step.

A few tracks thrown into a set spanning other genres = the dopeness

An entire set of dubstep = the sleepiness

But on the mid-tempo tip, such as the artists that have been mentioned. I can listen to that shit non-stop.
Same with the psy-dub/downtempo.

Eprom, Spoonbill, Filastine, Heyoka, Mr. Rogers, glitch mob, ludachrist,
Lux, Tipper, Bassnectar, Ott, Sponhgle, Vibesquad, Audiovoid, Blue-tech, Jansten, Kilowatts, etc. etc.

Really really need to find a set from Dj Laura, She blew my mind at shambhala, and need to listen to some of that music again.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
any good psy-dub recommendations?

Also came across this set awhile ago that I like
U-Dub Viral Radio

01. Kromestar - Creep (dub)
02. Kromestar - Unknown (dub)
03. Cyrus - Claret (dub)
04. Cyrus - High Flyer (dub)
05. Cyrus - Fool's Day (dub)
06. The Bug - Skeng (Kode9 mix)
07. Martyn - Broken
08. Peverelist - Die Brucke
09. Kode9 - Stung
10. 2562 - Circulate
11. Cult of the 13th Hour - Wickedness
12. Digital Mystikz - Wait
13. Digital Mystikz - Thief in da Night
14. Peverelist - Roll with the Punches
15. Kromestar - Unknown (dub)
16. Loefah - ASBO1
17. Kromestar - Unknown (dub)

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
any good psy-dub recommendations?
I'm honestly only familiar with OTT and Spohngle.

OTT just played here in Van and I can honsetly say, that OTT played one of the best sets I've heard this year.

I hear a lot of folks saying they can't dance to the slower tunage. IMO once you find your rythem, Dancing to downtempo sounds allows for much more diversity in movement. Doing lots of freezes holds, slowed movemement, big stretches, getting low, so much fun :)

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
FrItZ~tHe~KaT said:
I hear a lot of folks saying they can't dance to the slower tunage. IMO once you find your rythem, Dancing to downtempo sounds allows for much more diversity in movement. Doing lots of freezes holds, slowed movemement, big stretches, getting low, so much fun :)
definitely agree on this one. midtempo and dubstep are my favourtie genres to dance to by far. I can get down with some serious dancefloor heaviness.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Same, love dancing to the mid-tempo/dubby stuff - last two times I went to a Psytrance party in Toronto, had more fun dancing in the chillout room than in the main room.

FrITZ - check out Salmonella Dub - Calming the Drunken Monkey.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
you should check out eprom + hookers and blow (eprom + mozaic) they really tore it up every show i played with them this summer. eprom is probably the best producer out there right now, but he doesn't have a whole lot of stuff available at the moment. the antiserum are (obviously) amazing. they've been making big waves on the west coast. for hyphy stuff you should check out rodman aka lux as well as jantsen.

my favourite new artist of the summer has to be filastine though. that cat is AMAZING. although not very hyphy, he does all types of live drumming and shit on a shopping cart with all midi triggers and a megaphone on the front. his music is like politically charged arabic music, very dope. go buy his album 'Burn It!' you will not regret it.

here's a his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/filastine

there's a video up there and a bunch of tunes.

big ups i'll check all this out!

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
wow, so much stuff to check out this weekend, i have a feeling i'm in for a treat.

thanks for the recommendations fellas.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
ps: if you're looking for solid dubstep mixes check out youngsta's rinse FM mixes. they are really solid. it's a whole lotta dubstep tho, and seeing as it's new tunes every week, there is bound to be some stuff you don't like, but all in all he's quite good and it's a great place to get an earful of what's new.

and as far as tune sharing goes... i can only do it with permission of the original artists. i'm not sure what is coming in the mail from pete, but i imagine he doesn't want me to distribute it on the net.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Of course. And I did say I don't want it without permission anyways and especially not shared over the web if it's unreleased! I'd be more interested in contact info I guess. I must have the wobble!

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
it seems that most of the producers in the "bass music" genre, seem to really make an effort to keep the tunes "in the family" so to speak.

There is alot of amazing music that is released, but there is SO much more that is not. and the only way we get to hear it is by booking the artist to play live.

I can't find any of the tunes that Dj Laura played online, as well as what bassnectar played, or Filastine (although I did just order his cd)

It just makes me want to book them to play a show, or even start producing so I have something worthwhile to trade with.

another bit of food for thought. Why is Toronto so far behind in this sound?

I mean it seems like people are JUST starting to warm up to these sounds out east.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
exergo said:
new bassnectar i mentioned!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bii91B3nbaY

i'm with dylan, EPROM is the bomb. next level!

also, heyoka is just rediculous. it's like tipper on steroids. his new ep just CRUSHES.....
http://www.myspace.com/andreism

Mimosa and Sleeepyhead are dope too....
http://www.myspace.com/tigranmimosa
http://www.myspace.com/sleepyheadmusik

jantzen - yikers
http://www.myspace.com/jantsenmusic
okay, so heyoka and jantzen are my new favourites, this shit is sick

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
FrItZ~tHe~KaT said:
it seems that most of the producers in the "bass music" genre, seem to really make an effort to keep the tunes "in the family" so to speak.

There is alot of amazing music that is released, but there is SO much more that is not. and the only way we get to hear it is by booking the artist to play live.

I can't find any of the tunes that Dj Laura played online, as well as what bassnectar played, or Filastine (although I did just order his cd)

It just makes me want to book them to play a show, or even start producing so I have something worthwhile to trade with.
awesome! that's the idea!

FrItZ~tHe~KaT said:
another bit of food for thought. Why is Toronto so far behind in this sound?

I mean it seems like people are JUST starting to warm up to these sounds out east.
toronto is a very insular city. people just don't hang out with eachother as much in this town. as a result it's hard for 'word of mouth' and trends in music to spread.

with that said, things are FINALLY starting to shape up here. dubstep is catching on a lot, and people seem to be really 'getting it' when i play out lately. no more opening/closing out parties, no more having to 'sell' people on this music... no more 'why does dylan have to be such a fucking wierdo?'. people are really getting it now, and they are becoming really supportive. plus, i'm not the only one any more. davey boom and rollin' cash have both started playing a lot of the west coast midtempo bass music stuff, megasoid and luniz and ghislain poirier are really blowing up in montreal, and dubstep is apparently the 'new cool underground' trend out in halifax.

i'm fucking stoked. it's about time! frankly it was getting a bit embarassing to have to explain that people in toronto don't get it every time i go out on tour. people would always make this sour face and be all 'why the fuck do you live there again?' i know we can do better, and it's finally starting to happen.

Last edited:

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
hmm,

isn't this sort of an east vs. west coast thing, i mean besides little dubstep scenes theres nowhere near the amount of love for the glitch, hyphy etc.. in cities like toronto, chicago, nyc, montreal, philly as there is almost anywhere out west,

i feel like the east is all electro blog house etc... where the west is all this stuff,

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
^^ yeah...

has a lot to do with the west coast lifestyle me thinks.

i hate to generalize, but it's nessescary for these kind of conversations, and I'm about to make some huge generalizations.

west = Mountains, ocean, underground parties, outdoor festivals, psycadelics/really good pot, glitch/dubstep/hyphy ?

East - Concrete, mega-clubs (that actually cater to EDM), booze/uppers, electro/house/DnB ?

meh i dunno, their are just more hippies out this way.

anywho........If you guys havn't peeped Spoonbill's stuff I highly recomend you do.

I would best describe it as. quirky organic glitch funk. Some weird stuff. But really warm feel good music.

http://www.spoonbill.net.au/

check out tunes like Low and Easy, Rubber Squeegy, Wakini Sun lounge, and Gumtree

We really want to book this guy in Vancouver, But jeebus is a flight from OZ expensive :(

Not sure how well he'd go over in the TDOT. But if anyone is interested in sharing the booking, drop me a line.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
spoonbill is awesome, but australia is far.

he is also banned from the US (ask me for the story not on the internet).

boooooo

he's fucking great though.

australia's got a whole fuckton of amazing experimental breakbeat/bass music. it always has...

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
dubstep is sooo 2007
you're repeating yourself yo

I don't think Dubstep is just a trend. It's made it's mark and a lot of people are digging it's sound. Guys like Z-trip and Mat The Alien is bringing it into their sets on a regular basis.

I can see ALL dubstep parties, becoming less and less, single genre events are boring IMO. Regardless of the genre.
but as for the sound as a whole being just a one year thing. naw.

Lighta! parties seem to still be going strong, they fill venues and everyone goes off. This has been a steady thing...... and now Lighta! seems to have a regular long weekend thing going on at Lick.
This saturday, Anasia, Headhunter and Bomberman is going to be absolutely mental.

After reading the reviews from dylans set at the Promise Halloween party, and some of the reviews from the Subtrac parties. It sounds like now the east is just really getting into it as well.

2008 was a huge year for dubstep at shambhala, and their is no denying that shambhala plays a big impact on the EDM scene in B.C.

Curious what the crowd is like at dubstep jams out east. are the DnB heads warming up to the sounds?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
FrItZ~tHe~KaT said:
you're repeating yourself yo

I don't think Dubstep is just a trend. It's made it's mark and a lot of people are digging it's sound. Guys like Z-trip and Mat The Alien is bringing it into their sets on a regular basis.

I can see ALL dubstep parties, becoming less and less, single genre events are boring IMO. Regardless of the genre.
but as for the sound as a whole being just a one year thing. naw.

Lighta! parties seem to still be going strong, they fill venues and everyone goes off. This has been a steady thing...... and now Lighta! seems to have a regular long weekend thing going on at Lick.
This saturday, Anasia, Headhunter and Bomberman is going to be absolutely mental.

After reading the reviews from dylans set at the Promise Halloween party, and some of the reviews from the Subtrac parties. It sounds like now the east is just really getting into it as well.

2008 was a huge year for dubstep at shambhala, and their is no denying that shambhala plays a big impact on the EDM scene in B.C.

Curious what the crowd is like at dubstep jams out east. are the DnB heads warming up to the sounds?
lol - i was being facetious - i love dubstep actually and have been bumping it for a good while :)

Last edited:

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
earlier even... a lot of that older breakstep has been getting major play in our city since 1998-99. think about the early stanton warriors stuff.... even they were adapting the existing sound to breaks, and that was ages ago.

to be fair though, it was only when the halfstep thing became popular that dubstep really came into it's own as a genre. it just sounded like steppy breaks/dubby garage before.

jprime

TRIBE Member
Really not feeling the dubstep. I find it's a huge downer on a set at a club. I really like some of that mental glitch hop kinda stuff, I still think dubstep doesn't hold a candle to that, or to some good underground hip hop.
Just my .02

PS. How's tings? Haven't been around this forum in ages. :)