• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

dubstep = fresh!

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to talk about dubstep but alex, feel free to relocate this thread.

I have discovered dubstep over the last year and I for one cannot get enough of it. Everything from the epic drops to the minimal, though provoking and sometimes sinister vocal edits. Bass frequencies that quench a thirst that was once believed to be unquenchable and distinctly fine tuned automated wobble basslines that assault your soul. So piercing that it becomes a new rhythm for your heart to beat to.

please sir, may I have some more?

I am grateful for my friends who introduced me to such powerful and heavy genre but there must be more of you out there who feel the same about this wobble monster!

Lets discuss all things dubstep, the history of it, great artists/djs/producers, where we can feast locally on this music, how you dance to/enjoy it, share tunes and mixes, and generally just things that make you say hmmm about dubstep.

I will start things off. My current favourtie producer is a man by the name of Komonazmuk. He's epic, he's a man who really knows how to fine tune those thick and juicy basslines. His collaborations with White Boi are also great. If i could point out one tune that made me a believer of dubstep it would have to be...

Komonazmuk and White Boi - Search for truth

..I also really love Eskmo's "Amphibian". WOW, could you call it minimal dubstep? I 'd have to say that every element in that track is placed so well.

There are always the big headliners of the genre like Coki and Rusko but if you think you can handle it, you should take a bite out of Trillbass' repertoire. I believe dylan already touched on this subject when he compared trillbass to war. Their track entitled "save me from myself" is haunting and "fist pump" is such an energy booster on any cloudy day.

Things to look out for:

www.garagepressure.com podcasts(complete w/ tracklistings)

Mary Anne Hobbs show on BBC radio1 "radio1's experimental show"

alright people, lets grow the scene, the floor is officially open!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
there's a lot of good shit out right now but you've really gotta dig to get through all the crap. there is SOOOO much dubstep coming out right now and most of it is just awful.

some recommendations include:

reso - spooky, TRG horny remix, and if you can't beat em

bar 9 - murda sound

ill.gates + meesha - sweatshop ep (drops this month)

excision can be really hot too, go check out his shambhala mix here: http://fnk.ca/board/f82/dj-promo-downloads/excision-shambhala-2008-mix-215392/

eskmo is obviously awesome, and coming from a breaks background his aesthetics are up our alley.

trillbass - haters is the tune of all tunes...

skream - 2d, filth, and refuel are all super hot. there's a VIP remix of midnight request line that i would trade just about anything for.

antiserum are really dope too. their tune blazin (with ripple) is a real notable.

6blocc do some really dope gangsta/hiphop/reggae mashups. very dirty dancefloor business

chase and status have some real heaters too.

marlow is also really sick. his butterfish remix, machine, and road kill are all great tunes.

ok, that's enough for now :D

ez

d

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
i still think bassnectar's kyriam beep box is the best dub step tune i've ever heard, fucking kills it on a big system

assassaint

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
???

somebody hasn't heard the good shit yet...

get with it you dinosaur ;)

hee hee

love ya miki!
i did hear some good shit brother, thats the thing. and while dubstep is good shit, it cant be compared to good funky breaks (imo). fuck, i love glitch hop, i think its the best invention since handjobs but its still nothing compared to breaks (imo).

im just frustrated that bunch of dj's i love turned their backs on breaks in such a short period of time. it reminds me of house music turning into electro. motherfuckers switched overnight!!!

i know, i know. people are in pursuit of something new, or growing as artists, or wanna make more money... that all good and i understand that but still... personally, i feel betrayed. breakbeat will always have special place in my heart, since that first moment when i walked in the system's back room. to this day im 100% sure breaks and breakdancing are the purest forms of art and no amount of dubstep, glitch, baltimore or anything will change my mind.

im not a hater, dylan can attest to that, im just pissed off. where do i go now to get my fix?? seriously, where?

or maybe i really am a dinosaur, full of piss and vinegar (especially piss).

dont mind my ramblings guys. why dont you all fine gentleman make me old school, funky, nu breaks set (each!!) and ill shut up.

much love to you and beautifull nunich dylan. i miss you guys and we still gotta celebrate. hope to see you both soon.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
hee hee, yea, i know man. i miss the days when breaks were breaks too... it's really kinda sad what happened. you can still hear good breaks at some b-boy and hiphop jams, but you will end up hearing a lot of the same old nyc electro boogie/james brown business until you want to stab yourself in the eyes.

i think that the main problem that people have (at least speaking for myself) is that the sound really isn't going anywhere at this point. it's been around for 30 (40, depending on who you ask) years and it's been through so many incarnations that it's pretty safe to say it has kind of solidified at this point. there really isn't that much new territory that breaks is covering and it doesn't really 'need' us producers for much of anything. dubstep, glitch hop, midtempo goodness, etc. are all still young, fresh genres and are in need of exploration and fresh blood. you can really sink your teeth into a new genre and make it your own, whereas producing breaks is kind of like pissing in the wind at this point.

(ps: i don't think you have to worry about anyone trying to cash in on dubstep yet tho. it's probably even less profitable than breaks at this point!)

anyway, hope that helps you understand. breaks will always have a special place in my heart, but the world is always changing and i really can't compromise my musical development by holding on to the past. that said, even my new hiphop/dubstep album has about 33% breaks on it so i'll probably never stop the rock.

luv ya

d

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
did anyone get a load of:

chase and status - eastern jam

yet?

holy FUCK what a monster.... wow. haven't heard a dubstep tune that dope in a while. it's sloooooooow too, which is great if you're playing a set of all faster stuff. makes for a nice break without losing dancefloor intensity. DEFINITELY dropping that one during the .gates foundation set at hervest.

peep it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPb1w7s7iUQ

JK

TRIBE Promoter
DaPhatConductor said:
chase and status - eastern jam

DEFINITELY dropping that one during the .gates foundation set at hervest.
ah, no offense Dylan, but I thought the Foundation set at Harvest was going to be Live.... how can it be a live show if you're dropping other producers tunes??

IMO a show should not be called a live p.a. unless the music is all original (at least that's the way it used to be until recent years...)

regardless, still looking forward to it! The Metalogic set will be ALL our tunes :D

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
it's live because there are 4 of us... live MC (masia one), live dub delays + samples (meesha), live scratching (DJ SARASA from japan) and then i'll be on the buttons. i'm going to play a lot of originals, for sure, but if i played all originals it would be the same 30 songs every set and that's no fun. i get bored of my own music easily. there are only a few hundred times i can listen to something and still be stoked. ;)

Last edited:

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
oh, and a lot of the originals were made with masia, so we have all types of special 'tv instros' we rendered, and intros and interludes and all types of custom shit. it's going to be like a band doing covers during a live set.

Taro

TRIBE Member
JK said:
ah, no offense Dylan, but I thought the Foundation set at Harvest was going to be Live.... how can it be a live show if you're dropping other producers tunes??

IMO a show should not be called a live p.a. unless the music is all original (at least that's the way it used to be until recent years...)

regardless, still looking forward to it! The Metalogic set will be ALL our tunes :D
well, Speedy plays a lot of other people's tunes when he 'plays live' - the technology is such that now dj'ing and doing 'live' sets aren't that different..

JK

TRIBE Promoter
Taro said:
well, Speedy plays a lot of other people's tunes when he 'plays live' - the technology is such that now dj'ing and doing 'live' sets aren't that different..
yeah, that really bothered me the last time I played with him here -- although he wasn't billed as 'live' at that show.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i personally like it when producers dj other people's material. i get really tired of listening to any one person's music for more than about half an hour. the space and texture are too uniform... i like things to be a lot more dynamic and varied.

it's a difference of opinion and taste really... to me 'live' refers to actual physical performance beyond just DJing other people's music. if that also involves DJing, i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
wow, that chase and status tune is a heavy monster. i wish i could hear it loud this weekend but I won't be attending. good luck on the foundation set dylan!

Taro

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
i personally like it when producers dj other people's material. i get really tired of listening to any one person's music for more than about half an hour. the space and texture are too uniform... i like things to be a lot more dynamic and varied.

it's a difference of opinion and taste really... to me 'live' refers to actual physical performance beyond just DJing other people's music. if that also involves DJing, i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
word brother...
:p

Mattel

TRIBE Member
we also have a lot of great producers coming out of Canada right now producing dubstep. Looks like 2009 will be a great year for Canadian dubstep!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i don't know what tune that is actually. it's fucking retarded sick though... i love how simple it is too!

gotta love them long bass notes... dubstep's got the longest out of any genre out there.