• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dubfire at the Guv

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I've been waiting and waiting for someone to post a thread about this. Looks like I am going to be the one to start things off.

Hats off to the Guv. Me miss you longtime.

I swore off of going there, the filth of genos and strippers and idots usually left a bad taste in my mouth. Years ago after a horrible experience of overcrowding I vowed NOT to go back however, this Family Day I could not resist.

I'm a lover of Deep Dish. I was disappointed of their break up. I have only seen Sharam several times after their break up and this was now my opportunity to see the other half by himself. DUBFIRE!

Well, it was a fantastic night. It appeared that Nic Fanciulli was to play until 1am I think. (I might be wrong) However there appeared to be a ton of technical difficulties so Nic Fanciulli continued to play right until 3am or so. Seemed Dubfire was ready to go on and then a ton of technicians were on the stage. At one point it was obvious the music was in a loop. The images for DUBFIRE appeared on the screen.........

Then they did the blinding smoke machine with the temperature drop....When I say blinding....it is a complete white out. You can't even see your hand in front of your face. Cool and trippy at the same time.

.....and then it was still Nic rocking the crowd.

It looked like they were having problems with the labtop.

Then he came on. I've never heard music like this before. Sound, noise, dubby bass, chuggy, techy.......deep dark sounds. Where does this music come from? Dubfire was just bouncing up and down remaining cool and calm as he dropped track after track after track. It was awesome. I musical experience that I was not used to hearing. It felt like an education of something great. I had to leave at 5ish.....but I hear that Nic, Dubfire, and the other dj went backtobacktoback.

This was a top party folks. Unbelievable sounds coming out of the speakers. Great sound. Good vibe.

I would like to complain why the heaters weren't on on the smoking patio.

BTW - never waste your time on Tommie Sunshine. Horrible, horrible, horrible programming.

Dubfire is one of my faves now.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
it was a pretty fun night, great sets by Fanciulli and Dubfire. and you're right, that cooling smoke machine is nuts! I got a pretty good shot of it in action

mushroom

TRIBE Member
I thought it was David Squillace that was on before Dubfire.

Honestly, this will probably be the last time I check out a Dubfire set. When him and Sharam play separately, they can be so boring. Their music lacks imagination and variety. You can leave the room and come back 30 min. later and you'd swear the same track was being played. Its just too monotonous and it killed my buzz.

But when they're Deep Dish, they're much better, pretty sure they haven't split up, they're just doing their own things for a bit.

Plus the transition between David Squillace and Dubfire was brutal, just sounded like filler was being played. Like you guys said, there must of been technical issues and I guess David Squillace wasn't prepared for it. Too bad because up until that point I was digging his set.

Fischerspooner were interesting and yes Tommie Sunshine was horrible. Saw him a couple of years ago and he was awesome, not sure what happened there Sunday night.

And as usual, DekoZe rocked it. If that guy had been playing all night in the main room it would have been awesome. Be nice to see him get that chance one day.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mushroom

TRIBE Member
Mushroom please tell me you were joking when you wrote this review.
Not at all man and I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm not new eh! I've seen Deep Dish about 6-8 times and have seen each guy separately about 4 times each.

They're very hit and miss. I saw Sharam play in Dubai and he was killer but then saw him here in T.O. a few months later and he was much like Dubfire. A whole lot of filler and not too much going on.

Maybe my musical tastes are changing and I'm more into a bangin, dirty sound. But his set just didn't do it for me.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
Squillace did play before but then when Dubfire was having issues with the laptop I think Nic came on.

I'm confused too.
Yeah I was towards the back and couldn't really tell what was going on. I saw the big crew behind the booth and all the techies. Figured something wasn't going according to plan.

maphi

TRIBE Member
Then he came on. I've never heard music like this before. Sound, noise, dubby bass, chuggy, techy.......deep dark sounds. Where does this music come from? Dubfire was just bouncing up and down remaining cool and calm as he dropped track after track after track. It was awesome. I musical experience that I was not used to hearing. It felt like an education of something great.
I missed this, but saw Dubfire in Barcelona last summer and it was amazing. Exactly like you described above. One of the best musical experiences I've had in the past couple of years no doubt. I would have gone to check him out this weekend, but... Guv... meh.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oeretS

TRIBE Member
the Drink (now called Cathouse or something?) was rocking pretty hard. I managed to see St Mandrew, Nav, and Skeet Skeet - they were all really good. Missed Fischerspooner unfortunately, but ventured back to check Tommie Sunshine and he was just dreadful. jackhammer beats and rave squelches everywhere - blech

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I actually was last minute considering this but no. Would have liked to have seen fischerspooner and dubfire.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
the Drink (now called Cathouse or something?) was rocking pretty hard. I managed to see St Mandrew, Nav, and Skeet Skeet - they were all really good. Missed Fischerspooner unfortunately, but ventured back to check Tommie Sunshine and he was just dreadful. jackhammer beats and rave squelches everywhere - blech
Yeah....I'd like to give props to Nav for sure. I never heard him before and he was mixing effortlessly.

LOL at rave squelches. Click below.

Tommie Sunshine (or Tommy needs a shave & haircut)

mushroom

TRIBE Member
jackhammer beats and rave squelches everywhere - blech
hahahaha, that's right, i remember my buddy opened the door and we both were like what the fuck and walked right back out. not sure what he was doing or how anyone was dancing to that! lol

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
I caught Dubfire's set in Montreal on Saturday where I made a quick stop before heading to Tremblant. I was actually there to see my buddy Ned Shepard warming up for him but I stayed for some of dubfire's set and it was a killer set.
Now I've heard him alone and with Sharam and Sharam alone too, so many times in different places Dubai, Ibiza, etc. and I don't think he can no longer play with Sharam. They are going in two completely different direction both production-wise and in DJing. even back then when they were playing together Sharam always played a more banging set and ali kept it dark n deep but now they're playing completely different music. actually I like dubfire's stuff more these days especially for after hours. Sharam should stick to peak time sets cos that's what he does best.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
even back then when they were playing together Sharam always played a more banging set and ali kept it dark n deep but now they're playing completely different music. actually I like dubfire's stuff more these days especially for after hours. Sharam should stick to peak time sets cos that's what he does best.
Totally agree with you! Sharam is a bit more bangin and would have been better in Dubfire's time slot on Sunday with Ali closing it down.

Usually when they played together, Sharam would play first and then Ali. Makes sense too.

That likely was my problem, that for a peak time set, Dubfire's track selection wasn't what I would have like to have heard at that time, I usually like more energy coming then.