• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dub Raggae

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Can anyone suggest groups/artists/tracks or tunes for like DEEP dub reggae?

I'm trying to find the really trippy stuff you here at like OM and Harvest Festival and such.
Alas I have no clue where to find it or the correct term of the genre for that matter!

peace

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Trojan Records have two - 3 CD Dub compilations - Rotate This and that place two doors down from the Condom Shack on Queen should have them.

Sly and Robbie.

Lee Scratch Perry won a Grammy last week - who would have figured that would ever happen? wikkid though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
r+s+tikiman [or something like that ... look around]

Search for Tikiman + Scion and you'll get some dubby techno. I'm sure I've heard this stuff at Om and Harvest.

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
King Tubby fo sho

if you want to check out serious dub and where it originated check out:

King Tubby: "Dub Gone Crazy (The Evolution of Dub)"
or Lee Scratch Perry "Revolution Dub"
and also King Tubby & Lee Scratch Perry's "Blackboard Jungle".

For more current stuff check out:

Roots Manuva: Dub Come Save Me
Tosca: Suzuki in Dub
Kruder & Dorfmeister: The K&D Sessions
Smith & Mighty: DJ Kicks
Thievery Corporation: DJ Kicks

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
this is great!!

ok ya I downloaded some of that older stuff.. I'm looking for more current I think...
*idea*best way to explain what I'm looking for is the music that FIRST played at Harvest Fest this year. no vocals ...just deep basslines and strange sounds..*idea*

thanks for the contributions:)

zoo

TRIBE Member
forget dub

just get into idm/electronic music in general ;0P

there's a whole world of electronic music out there that gets very little exposure ..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lostintheEhole
this is great!!

ok ya I downloaded some of that older stuff.. I'm looking for more current I think...
*idea*best way to explain what I'm looking for is the music that FIRST played at Harvest Fest this year. no vocals ...just deep basslines and strange sounds..*idea*

thanks for the contributions:)
ah.. you want psy-dub.. an offshoot of psytrance acts..

hmm..check out

Underwater Dub - artist???
Everything by Deep Dive Corp.
Star Shpongled Banner - Shpongle!
Everything by Dub Trees..

There's stuff made by the more minimal guys too which is even better.. but I can't remember any of the titles offhand.. :)

why not

TRIBE Member
there's lots of good dub reggae events these days -

a few at the cloak & dagger
a monthly at NASA
a few at 56 kensington
every tuesday at fez batik

dub reggae in general has only little bursts of vocals, but these were just the flipsides to vocal singles. the intentions was that the 'dj' of the soundsystem (dj in this context means MC, whereas the selector is the one putting on the records) would toast (rap) over the beats,bass, and echoes.

which also means you can buy albums produced by big dub names like king tubby, the scientist, coxome dobb, mad professor, adrian sherwood, ect, that aren't truly dub, as they are the vocal album of the group.
for example, tubby produced some wailers stuff, but it's not all dubbed out like the augustus pablo stuff he did.

and for the sake of purism, downtempo isn't dub reggae (ie. kruder & dorfmeister).

tikiman + scion would be better described as digi-dub, which is it's own genre.

why not

TRIBE Member
kops (on Queen near McCaul) has lots of reissues and compilations of old reggae, and also stocks a lot of digi-dub.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories