• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DSL Users : Bell to double speeds

deep

TRIBE Member
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/December2003/15/c3122.html

Executive summary : anyone on the 1.5 (standard) DSL service is going to get upgraded to 3megs (Ultra) speed for the same price. Anyone on the 3meg service will be bumped up to 4meg DSL (same price too). The news release is from Bell but it should affect any DSL user (i.e. if your DSL provider is someone other than Bell)

TORONTO, Dec. 15 /CNW/ - Offering the best performance in its class, Bell
Canada will double the speed of its High Speed Internet service from 1.5 Mbps
to up to 3 Mbps. Also receiving increased speeds are Bell Internet customers
who are currently on the 3Mbps service will move to up to 4 Mbps. Uploading
performance for both of these customer groups will increase five times to up
to 800kbps.
These speed upgrades will deliver measurable performance improvements
through Bell's further investment in network capability, not achievable by
just changing modem settings. The price for the enhanced service will not
change for either Bell residential Sympatico customers or Bell Business
Internet customers.
Bell's high-speed Internet service is the country's broadband market
leader with 1.4 million business and residential customers. Unlike cable high-
speed, Bell's high speed connections are carried via a dedicated line and are
not shared among users. This provides for greater consistency of speed
regardless of the time of day.

Last edited:

crave_e

TRIBE Member
I hate Bell.....
I know of other ADSL providers who were offering 3Meg months ago. I have a 7MEG ADSL connection at my SOHO.

Bell is just trying to catch up.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I'm only bitter because my new place is 7km from the CO and DSL is unavailable...I'm stuck with fucking cable with a fucking modem that goes offline when I use Bittorrent...how is it that an application can break the physical medium???? Did the design engineers not learn about the OSI layer model???? :mad:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Were they not capped at one point? I thought it was a 5 GB cap?

I used to be with Primus, because they were uncapped. And also the Air Miles.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
haha!

I live in friggen barrie in a Brand spanking new subdivision and I get wikked fast service already. I dont understand all this 7km away shite.

finary

TRIBE Promoter
btw rogers website claims they are already 3.0Mbps down, and 384k up.

That's 375K/s downloads and 48K/s uploads...

While I don't complain with my current service, it's rare that I get the actual 375K/s.

Maybe from tucows or some local sites, sure.. but definitely not in general.

I'm curious, you bell 3.0M DSL subscribers, do you USUALLY see close to 375K/s?

/f

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
haha!

I live in friggen barrie in a Brand spanking new subdivision and I get wikked fast service already. I dont understand all this 7km away shite.
new subdivision = new lines

you could also have a central office close by

Balzz

TRIBE Member
haha!

Most users in a city are no more than 4-5km away from a CO.

crave_e

TRIBE Member
haha!

ADSL rides on copper telephone lines.
The farther you are away from the Central Office the lower your speeds are. A Central Office is where ISP colocate their DSLams to deliver the access.

So someone living 1 KM away will get blazing fast speed vs someone who is 7 KM away. The maximum distance that ISP can deliver ADSL is 7KM. Anything over 7KM will be shit speeds.

matty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary

/f
Not very often on a single stream. I have been pretty close to 375K/s on a number of ocassions if you take into account all the transfers in progress.

The bottle neck in these situations probably lies someplace outside of the Bell network.

Astroboy

TRIBE Member

/f
i Upload at about 85K and dload at 360ish every time. I'm on bell 3meg service here in barrie

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
new subdivision = new lines

you could also have a central office close by
I dont even have a proper phone line. It's wrapped around my house and connected to my neibours somehow. So it's definitly a subpar line.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I dont even have a proper phone line. It's wrapped around my house and connected to my neibours somehow. So it's definitly a subpar line.
That's not necessarily true. Most homes in Ontario are equipped for at least 2 lines but in some older neighbourhoods you may only have one. Thus there is a lot of stringing of lines from 1 home to another as 1 home may want an extra line while another home is empty. This is still quite common practice and doesn't mean just because you are technically on your neighbour's 2nd line that that line is shit.

Oh yeah... no caps.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Does that mean that Bell will fix the problem with stalling?

Every person I know who has Bell Sympatico experiences stalling on their internet connection. They'll be surfing fine, then every few minutes it will completely stop transfering for 10-15 seconds, and then start up again.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders