1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

drunk idiots and my bike

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by why not, Oct 6, 2005.

1. why not

why not TRIBE Member

so a few weeks ago i was riding home from the office in the middle of the night, and ran over a nail that someone had wedged into the road on richmond in the club district as a boobie trap.

i locked it up outside system, thinking i'd be back the next day to pick it up and get it fixed.

unfortunately, i'm a flake, and put it off until today.

the damage:
    both wheels have been kicked out of alignment.
    the bell has been ripped apart, and the metal part stolen.
    the front reflector has been broken off.
    the rear reflector has been bent to one side.
    the heavy duty steel bike rack has been kicked so hard on one side that it bent enough to pinch the rear wheel, and then kicked from the other side as well for good measure.
    one of the foam hand grips had been ripped off, and a serious attempt made on the other.

WTF is it with drunk jocks and parked bikes?

i've had more bikes destroyed this way than stolen in the 10+ years i've lived in toronto.

i can understand getting into drunken fights with lamp posts (who hasn't?), but what is it with bikes that these knobs just can't resist?

arrggh.

2. rod_g

rod_g TRIBE Member

uh, you locked your bike outside a nightclub dude

3. grounded4life

grounded4life TRIBE Member

more specifically you locked it outside of System

4. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

*bites tongue*

5. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Drunk people do stupid things.
    I ride my bike down to that area all the time, and park it out there. I've caught one or 2 drunk fucks kicking it or knocking it over, I just laugh, adjust whatever and go on with me night

Don't leave it so long mate, lesson learned.

6. why not

why not TRIBE Member

yeah, i know it was stupid, but i wasn't going to walk it all the way home with the flat tire.

besides, i kind of thought that either the bouncers from system or tonic might stop people who were mindlessly attacking a bike six feet away from the door to the club.
    i guess they're busy trying to stop their patrons from beating each other up.

7. Prickly Pete

Prickly Pete TRIBE Member

I give you an A+ on reading comprehension :)

8. why not

why not TRIBE Member

that's the thing - i've had this kind of thing happen outside of the club district, so i kind of expected to find my bike in rough shape, but it still boggles my mind.

then again, i also don't understand why people get drunk and look for fights.

9. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Sorry man, but LOL!

I get anxious when I park my bike outside of Hart House at UofT let alone in the heart of the 905 district.

Not saying you deserved it but, why would you choose there of all places?

10. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

"Now homer... Don't you eat this pie!"

honestly... that's like leaving a cupcake in front of some dude.. who ...loves breaking reflectors off of cupcakes?

11. why not

why not TRIBE Member

that's where i ran over the boobie trap and blew my tire.
    i was tired and wanted to go home (it was around 4am and i was just finishing at the office). figured it would be better someplace nice and visible, right near the bouncers, than on a side street (where i've had bikes destroyed before).

anyway, before anyone else posts that i shouldn't have left it for so long in the club district, let me re-iterate that i know i was a flake for doing it, i just want to know why drunk guys can't seem to resist pounding my poor defenseless bike.

12. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

at least the bike didn't get stolen!

13. why not

why not TRIBE Member

edit: oops, i was too quick with my quoting.

14. aether

aether TRIBE Member

"An Open Letter to the People Who Watched the Guy Bust Up Bruce's Bike"

that sucks. bikes are fragile and drunk people like to break stuff. it's kind of amazing humanity survives at all.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  15. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I see -bouncer logic. But it's not within their interests to be concerned with anything outside the club. It's shitty to have that happen, but it could've been worse -it could've been gone altogether. Now you know your lock works at least.

They have cameras outside of System, maybe you want to contact them for a time-lapse of your bike getting trashed.

16. eLeKTRon

eLeKTRon TRIBE Member

because they are sexually frustrated.

17. why not

why not TRIBE Member

the bike was basically free, so i don't even know if i'm going to bother fixing it up now.
    however, i would fucking love to get a timelapse video of it getting trashed.
    i doubt they keep the tapes for long though.

18. why not

why not TRIBE Member

*picturing gorillaesque men wildly humping my bike and grunting*

19. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

and whose fault is that?

....basically it's the fault of cold Toronto women :p

20. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

your bike gave me the crook-eye, nobody gives me the crook-eye.

21. T

T TRIBE Member

how can you be so certain it was "drunken jocks"?

what if it was teh bouncers at system?
    or a homeless person?
    or a few hung over girls on a bachelorette bender?

22. jeffpayne

jeffpayne TRIBE Member

23. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

I left a tripod and a folding chair in my rental van after harvest. After realizing my mistake, i called enterprise and they assured me that they've located my property and stashed it for safe keeping until i can pick it up.

Well... lazy me.. i didn't go pick it up until 4-5 days later... when i arrived, the gear was gone... turns out they stashed the stuff under a tarp in an area that was being travelled by the neighbours construction crew and chances are, they nipped the lot.

i'm quite positive that if i had just taken the time to go pick up the gear on the next day it would have been fine... instead.. much like yourself... i kept putting it off.. and now i'm stuck shooting handheld standing up.

weak.

24. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

I was just down at spidina and king and I noticed a rubber bike tire (like just the rubber outside casing) and it still had the lock on that peice of rubber...I 2 things came to mind:

1. how did they do that while still leaving the rubber tire on the lock/bikerack

2. that simpsons episode where grampa takes his undies off without taking his pants off

25. Interchange

Interchange TRIBE Promoter

Yeah i really hate parking my bike downtown for longer than an hour at a time...

i parked my bike outside at young and chruch the other day all day, unlocked my bike went to get on and both wheels fell off, someone had undone the quick relase on them... haha yeah real funny...

now i am parking my bike in the underground parking

people are such assholes