• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Drug use and abuse.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Why can some people not understand that drugs can be used for the sole purpose of feeling good?

That is to say, there are people who think that any drug use is bad drug use, and that anyone who uses drugs has a mental problem. They need therapy, quite obviously, since nobody uses a drug unless they are fucked in the head. Furthermore, if you use a drug for the sole purpose of pleasure, then you must not be a happy person.... and you must feel guilty.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by defazman
drugs are used to escape reality. Why can't you just be happy?

Exactly.

This is usually said by someone-- unknowingly dripping with irony--while they sip on their Scotch.

defazman

TRIBE Member
I remember that's what they used to scare us with in elementary school. Something must be wrong with your life if you want to escape from it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
In some people's minds, drugs are strongly associated with healing and medicine. In other words, drugs are intended to bring a "sick" patient back to "normal". Therefore, people who use drugs for "recreational" purposes are implicitly seen as trying to "cure" some mental deficiency in this context.

Or perhaps drug use just leads to excessive use of quotation marks. :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by AdRiaN
In some people's minds, drugs are strongly associated with healing and medicine. In other words, drugs are intended to bring a "sick" patient back to "normal". Therefore, people who use drugs for "recreational" purposes are implicitly seen as trying to "cure" some mental deficiency in this context

Good point.

And since alcohol is not seen as a "drug", there is nothing to "cure".

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by mingster
i think everyone needs therapy, regardless of whether they use drugs or not.

Absolutely. Even someone who is fine can become a better person.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman

Reality as we understand it, is what WE perceive through our senses. If that gets altered, we are still in our own reality. It is altered reality, not escaped reality.

Dick Justice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JMan
Reality as we understand it, is what WE perceive through our senses. If that gets altered, we are still in our own reality. It is altered reality, not escaped reality.

Sounds like JMan has been enjoying some inebriants ~ I heard this guy keeps toads at his house and on weekends licks their backs for shits and giggles...don't buy into his word wizardy....he be a witch..geee

deep

TRIBE Member
More specifically than "escaping reality", for many people drugs are a means to generate an emotional state that things in their sober life prevent them from experiencing.

There is a difference between this and merely wanting to experience a buzz. It's a problem when one seeks that buzz to avoid having to feel what the realities of their circumstances make them feel. Anything (drugs alcohol sex food whatever ) can be abused in this way.

Popping a pill is easier than figuring out why it is one feels miserable in their day to day life. Mainlining heroin is a lot easier than figuring out how to fix what's fucked up in people's heads, and their lives.

I don't think that there is anything patently wrong in escapism per se. It's just another word for managing one's emotions and/or stress. Going to sleep is escapism from the pressures of the day. Going for a walk when angry is escapism. Hanging out with friends and sharing a laugh when you're down is escapism.

The point is that it becomes problematic when people engage in escapist practices more than they actually deal with shit, or when they replace with a drug what their conscious will or self control should be able to generate.

In my experiences, those most attracted to partying it up big time tend to be ones who have relatively underdeveloped emotional architecture. For example, instead of wanting a sustainable, moderate level of happiness, they look for a more dramatic, less sustainable state of happiness. Instead of thinking that maybe it's a multitude of dimensions that contribute to a sense of well being, they look for a quick fix. Because their management strategies are comparatively underdeveloped, their reactions to situations tend to be more reactive and to what the situation dictates rather than controlled and deliberate. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why drug use is more prevalent in younger (and comparatively emotionally immature) people. Their focus is more on the immediate rather than what is sustainable.

A common theme in government (be it legislation, be it economy policy) is basically banking on the belief that people are too dumb to be left to their own devices. That if allowed to exercise their own discretion in matters, that they won't pick the least self destructive path.

A small minority of people might take drugs more for the purpose of experimentation, for the purpose of experiencing an altered state of consciousness, but on some level I think it is true that everyone who does drugs (including alcohol) does it in part for the buzz. It becomes a problem if that buzz stops being occasional and recreational. Or if instead it becomes a major source of contentment in one's life, replacing what more stable sources should provide albeit less intensely.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
but on some level I think it is true that everyone who does drugs (including alcohol) does it in part for the buzz.

For me it was all about the buzz early on, until I started catching the conciousness expansion aspects... now the buzz seems sort of old... not always (if it's really strong and it's been awhile), but for the most part, it's the removal of mental filters that gets me excited.

JMan

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
A common theme in government (be it legislation, be it economy policy) is basically banking on the belief that people are too dumb to be left to their own devices. That if allowed to exercise their own discretion in matters, that they won't pick the least self destructive path.

there's something annoying patronizing about this... (not you - i meant the government behaving this way)

emiwee

TRIBE Member
I think that the discourses around drug use are shifting in a way. Away from the moralizing discourses of 'addiction' and 'abuse' and to a more normalizing discourse of 'drug use'. I don't necessarily think that it's a correct statement to say that drug use is only viewed in terms of 'sickness' (although, this view is still in existence). I think that with policy changes like the possibilities of decriminalization of marijuana, heroin prescription, safe injection sites, etc. we are seeing a kind of normalization of drug use in a general sense, but still a criticizing of certain (possibly 'risky') drug use behaviours.

I think that this excerpt from deep's post especially needs to be questioned (although it certainly has merit):

If you've read any of the work on governmentality (Foucault coined the term, but it has been picked up in a number of disciplines, criminology and drug use, for instance), you might see the opposite of your point. The governmentality argument posits that, due to the retreat of the welfare state, and reliance on non-centralized power and the increasing reliance on management of populations through assessments of risk, citizens are increasingly being called upon to become 'responsibilized' (i.e., responsible agents acting in the interests of the state in order to minimize their own risks). I don't think that the state believes that people are too dumb to make their own decisions, quite the contrary. The state (through a number of methods) allows citizens to internalize responsible behaviour and act in their own interests.

Okay, I'm rambling... if I can organize my thoughts a little better (when I'm not totally and completely distracted with the writing of my thesis proposal), I can try to be a little more coherent.

deep

TRIBE Member
I'm on my way out to the gym, but will make a few quick points. Firstly, my comments regarding "common themes" in government were more general in application rather than specifically to do with policies on drug use. So while you describe some ways in which those policies are evolving, can it honestly be said that in the past 100 years, and in all the different functions of government, it is more the case that people have been given the power of choice in matters or that restrictions have been imposed and decisions been made on their behalf?

It's all good and well that citizens are increasingly being called upon to be responsibilized, as you say, but at the ground level it is not the case that people have absolute discretion in these matters. Do you think one could argue to a cop right now that the drugs they use on a regular basis is completely within what they deem to be responsible usage? That they are not causing harm to the state and not taking on excessive risk? Even if at the legislative level, there are different intentions, at the ground level, the vestages of prior perspectives still hold true.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Anyone who says drugs aren't in inherent social and personal "Evil" is definatly not looking at what it actually does to the human body and the state of mind. As a person who has given up all types of mind altering substances and spent a great deal of time with people who use and abuse these substances. It's quite evident and sometimes unbeknown to the abuser that they have gotten themselvs into a problem.

You see, some people live by the notion that nothing is good or bad, but things are good in moderation. Which is just plain ass backwards, things that are good for you can be done over and over and over and over and they will make you a better person, not the other way around.

Most people go through life scratching the surface, drugs won't help them brake through. It takes times understanding and action, and first and foremost you must brake away from the fear.

From what I have observed intelligent people get the most out of drugs, just like they do everything else. If they are particularly brilliant they understand that drugs have no place for someone who wishes to maximize.

lok

TRIBE Member
Which is just plain ass backwards, things that are good for you can be done over and over and over and over and they will make you a better person, not the other way around.

such as?

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel
Anyone who says drugs aren't in inherent social and personal "Evil" is definatly not looking at what it actually does to the human body and the state of mind. As a person who has given up all types of mind altering substances and spent a great deal of time with people who use and abuse these substances. It's quite evident and sometimes unbeknown to the abuser that they have gotten themselvs into a problem.

You see, some people live by the notion that nothing is good or bad, but things are good in moderation. Which is just plain ass backwards, things that are good for you can be done over and over and over and over and they will make you a better person, not the other way around.

Most people go through life scratching the surface, drugs won't help them brake through. It takes times understanding and action, and first and foremost you must brake away from the fear.

From what I have observed intelligent people get the most out of drugs, just like they do everything else. If they are particularly brilliant they understand that drugs have no place for someone who wishes to maximize.

live and let live

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
When* I do drugs... weither it be weed, alcohol, mushrooms or E.
I do it to get fucked up. To feel funny and think funny.
I don't do it to escape from things in my life. I like my life and many of the issues and happenings in it.
Wouldn't really change it.

So I feel its unfair to say anyone who does mind altering substances does it to get away from things in life. Thats not always the case. Its not a personal theropy, not for myself anyways.

*not often enough ;)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
SelfExel, who is quite possibly the stupidest person alive.

EDIT: I have nothing to add, as so many others in this thread (deep, Timo, etc) have already expressed many of my thoughts so eloquently... :)

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
According to a friend in pharmacology, alcohol is probably one of the most harmful recreational drugs, being both highly toxic and physically addictive. Yet for some reason it does not fall under the same taboo as other stimulaants which are less potent.

That said, I think certain people should realize that drug use does not necessarily equate moral degeneration; throughout history and within many cultures alcohol has been enjoyed for its social aspects- to mark celebrations and heighten people's enjoyment of one another's company