• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Drug dog sniffs out suspension for teen

Lurch

TRIBE Member
Drug dog sniffs out suspension for teen
Parents furious school relied on animal's nose

OTTAWA (CP) — A 15-year-old boy has been kicked out of school for two days on a drug dog's say so.

Christopher Laurin was suspended because an Ottawa police dog indicated it smelled marijuana on his ski jacket during an impromptu drug search Tuesday at St. Matthew high school in suburban Orleans.

Laurin had no drugs on him.

The school principal says she could not smell marijuana on Laurin's coat, but the dog's word proved final.

Police and school staff told the student that police dogs can smell lingering marijuana residue on clothing up to three months after the fact.

Laurin's parents are furious.

"How come the school is allowed to punish my son because a drug-sniffing dog smelled marijuana? He didn't have any drugs on his jacket. He didn't do anything wrong. What if he had left his coat in someone's car, and that person had a joint?" asked Michel Laurin, Chris's father.

"I know they're trying to do the right thing, but suspension for a coat?" he said. "I don't believe the implications this could have."

A police officer and the dog came out of Laurin's classroom with his grey ski jacket. The student was taken to the principal's office, where he was told to empty the pockets of his coat. Then the principal searched the jacket. She found $3 — and no drugs.

Laurin was asked why his coat smelled like marijuana, and was then sent home.

"This is a preventative measure," said James McCracken, deputy director of education for Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board. "We're very interested in not having illegal substances at schools. If they find something suspicious, the police have the authority to search bags, jackets etc."

I can't believe how stupid some authority figures are!! What good can possibly come from this?? The poor kid gets a bad rap (with teachers etc.) ,falls behind on his school work, all because his jacket smelled like weed. If this was the case for me in high school I would have never been able to attend high school .......AND I NEVER SMOKED more than once or twice till college. I am pretty sure though that my clothes prob. could have been easily confused with that of Cheech and or Chong's clothes :D

THIS IS GOING WAAAAAAAY TOO FAR IMO

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
That's going way too far.
That's akin to saying "oh we think that you might have smoked weed once so we're suspending you"

There's no grounds for that... I would expect (and hope for) some serious flak for that decision.

p.s. how did the dog indicate that it smelled marijuana anyway? Is it one bark for weed, two barks for coke? Three barks if he has a sausage in his pocket?

Pete

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I must agree that this is a pretty absurd thing to do, and really doesn't accomplish much except to pay some self-righteous goon $50,000 a year to walk a dog and harass people at will. If I was that kid I'd be seeking some serious legal councel, if I had Alan Young's phone # I'd send it to him myself.

CY ----> says, "free the weed, free the people!!"

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
wow!

next thing you know, the thought police will be out in full force, suspending everyone and anyone who has ever thought about smoking a joint. :rolleyes:

tony

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Good thing that dog wasn't around my high school
Me and my crew used to go to class blazed all the time ... we would have been kicked to the curb so fast

stu

Lurch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
p.s. how did the dog indicate that it smelled marijuana anyway? Is it one bark for weed, two barks for coke? Three barks if he has a sausage in his pocket?

Pete
MAUAHAHAHAHHAHAAA most guys have a sausge in there pocket :D

derek

TRIBE Member
As long as the don't bring dogs to work...oh, wait, everyone at work know I'm a DJ. Bring 'em screw it.:D

Vidman

TRIBE Member
What if dogs KNEW they were looking for drugs, and knew the efftects....? It comes back with white powder under its nose, rolling around on the floor.

Ah, to be a drug dog.

Lurch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vidman
What if dogs KNEW they were looking for drugs, and knew the efftects....? It comes back with white powder under its nose, rolling around on the floor.

Ah, to be a drug dog.
Did'nt Brian on Family Guy get hooked on coke?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

redeyes

TRIBE Member
this is the biggest injustice in the history of the world. my brother was suspended from school because him and friends smoked a spliff in somebodies car in the school parking lot. they didn't find any drugs but the car smelled like pot and they had "redeyes";) , then they were dragged into the school by a cop, prinicipal, vice prinicipal and they were separated and questioned. 2 guys including my brother denied it, one loser sang like a canary. his logic to ratting was that he didn't put any money in, so he should't take the rap :rolleyes: . anyway they all got suspened for a week except for the informer, and my parents flipped.

peace

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by redeyes
this is the biggest injustice in the history of the world. my brother was suspended from school because him and friends smoked a spliff in somebodies car in the school parking lot. they didn't find any drugs but the car smelled like pot and they had "redeyes";) , then they were dragged into the school by a cop, prinicipal, vice prinicipal and they were separated and questioned. 2 guys including my brother denied it, one loser sang like a canary. his logic to ratting was that he didn't put any money in, so he should't take the rap :rolleyes: . anyway they all got suspened for a week except for the informer, and my parents flipped.

peace
is it your brother in the article? :confused:

either way, the kid who ratted should get some serious beats and be forever ostrascized.

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey

is it your brother in the article? :confused:

either way, the kid who ratted should get some serious beats and be forever ostrascized.
no it wasn't my bro in the article. sorry about the confusion. and i agree, the kid should have got beats but he didn't but he was ostrascized and he earned the nickname of "informer" for the rest of his remaining high school days.

peace

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Dawgs

Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
That's going way too far.
I think certain dogs might be trained specifically to sniff out one particular drug. If you were bringing a dog to search for drugs in a highschool, I'm sure marijuana would be the first choice.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders