• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

driving from toronto to banff

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
We are planning a road trip to Banff in January. We already booked a place in Canmore and are looking for suggestions for the drive there. We are staying on the Canadian side for the ride...

Is there anywhere worth staying the night? Or should we just drive straight through?
We already know about the 700km stretch with no gas at night...

Any ideas?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
hahaha what about peoples who's vehicles cant make it 700km on a tank of gas?

do you have to mad max gas can style it up?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
we are bringing a gas can from my dad's boat. plus all the necessary emergency/safety gear (blankets, candles, etc)

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I can't imagine there's a 700km stretch of highway in Canada that's without a gas station. Maybe in rural roads or in the Yukon or something, but between major town/citites no way.

djfear

TRIBE Member
This thread reminds me of my fond road trips to Utah / Arizona from Toronto. Pile 4 guys into a beat up VW or Malibu, drive non-stop 24 hours to Denver, hit up Denny's, wait until 530am, hit the mountain roads as the sun is coming up, make it to Moab for the afternoon.

On the Burr Trail, Utah.

octo

TRIBE Member
Please tell me it's a jeep Cherokee or grand Cherokee. Cause I would kill myself before driving across the country in a yj/tj/wrangler in the dead of winter.

derek

TRIBE Member
there's no 700km stretch without gas on the transcanada. a gas cannister with with spare juice is still a good idea.

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I drove to Vancouver a year and a half ago through the states. Was definitely an adventure, and we got there faster than anticipated. Would you consider driving through the US? It shaves an entire day off your commute by avoiding the drive north around the great lakes.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Ahhhhh none open gas stations... Sneaky.
I only know because it happened to friends of mine when they drove out west, they didn't know and ran out of gas during the night. It was the dead of winter and they slept in the van until the station opened the next morning.

I noticed that people tend to misquote quite often on this board, I wonder if it has anything to do with surfing from mobile devices?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately we can't travel through the States.

The stretch without gas is at night. I believe its through Wawa and the Thunder Bay up in Northern Ontario. You can get gas during the day but not during the night.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay overnight?
We are thinking of maybe going straight to Regina..

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I only know because it happened to friends of mine when they drove out west, they didn't know and ran out of gas during the night. It was the dead of winter and they slept in the van until the station opened the next morning.

I noticed that people tend to misquote quite often on this board, I wonder if it has anything to do with surfing from mobile devices?
well im just glad that if i decide to drive out west through canada only, on that stretch of road that ;

a) i know about it now -_-
b) get about 950-1000 km to a tank on the highway when driving 120km /hr
c) know to not trust people to be reasonable and work all night in provinces where hibernating is common place for humans. ( Wait is this in Ontatrio ? ) if so, WANKERS !

djfear

TRIBE Member
Why don't those blokes just turn on the pumps for credit card/debit card use only? And for the record I did notice the "only at night" part, but still didn't believe it.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I've driven across the country two times in the last two years (Alberta in 2012, and Saskatchewan in 2013)

I don't recall any issue with no gas stations, but our cars are diesel and you can get about 1000km easy on highway driving. That and my husband grew up driving out west often enough to visit family so he knows the routes pretty well. He prefers the states as it is quicker, but that is not an option for you.

The first leg (or last leg) of our trip is usually driving from Toronto to Sault St. Marie, then staying overnight at G’s family cottage which is the North Shore of Lake Superior (8 hours drive in good weather). Then get up and get on the road early the next day (if you go through the states you can cross the border at the Sault, or drive Canada side so it is a good stopping point for us).

If you have a jeep you may want to bring a few gas cans and fill them up for emergency fuel if you get stuck. My Brother in Law works in Kirkland Lake and drives back and forth to Ottawa cross country so he has to do this with his Subaru in the winter.

The drive from the Sault to Thunder Bay is really scenic, but between Thunder Bay and Wawa there are huge winding hills, and with the truck traffic it can be nerve racking. The road winds around rock cliffs on one side, and lakes on the other. Like Canadian Shield but much bigger. I would not want to drive that stretch at night, especially in winter if you don’t know the road. I thought my husband was joking when we he told me I get to drive through the “mountains”... lol

The drive from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg to is painfully boring, mostly flat with a lot of trees so not much to look at. Kenora is the biggest town you go through. Once in the prairies it is mostly straight and flat with lots of places to stop. Lots of truck traffic.

How long are you planning for your drive? You are driving straight with no stopping? How many drivers?

lucky1

TRIBE Member

The stretch without gas is at night. I believe its through Wawa and the Thunder Bay up in Northern Ontario. You can get gas during the day but not during the night.

How long do you want to be on the road before taking an overnight?The drive through Ontario is very long because you need to go around Lake Superior!

it will take you at least 24 hours of straight driving to get to Winnipeg. That is summer driving, not taking into account fuel and pee breaks ;)

derek

TRIBE Member

there a couple of stations between wawa and tbay; in marathon in particular. it's also only 500km from wawas to tbay

one of the best stretches of highway outside the mountains is 17 between sault ste marie and wawa.

a run straight to regina is brave. probably too close in your journey but perhaps on the way back there a nice motel that serves a killer breakfast in Batchawana (b/t wawa and the sault)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I can vouch for Voyageurs. I’ve been there for the Friday night fish fry in the summer. G’s cottage is close to there. :D