• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Drivers under assault in Toronto...

Maui

TRIBE Member
So the thread about that bike lane on jarvis just about put me over the edge. But actually I'm all in favour of bike lanes. But there are currently some other serious issues for drivers out there.

Red Light Cameras. WTF in god"s good name are these doing sprouting up like bad weeds on a beautiful grassy nole. We had photo radar thanks to Mike Harris and we said fu*k off to that shite. Why has there been no backlash against this crap. I got two of these tickets last year. $280 per ticket. Oh and I wasn't driving my car for one of them. But guess who is still charged? That"s right, me. I could understand when I got slapped with the ticket for un-open alcohol in my vehicle even though it was my friends drinking cause I was in the car and accept responsibility when I'm present. But c'mon now. I've found it more dangerous to not run a red light sometimes. If the speed limit is 80 km/hour and it's raining and you are almost at the light and it turns yellow it is worse to slam the brakes than to hope you make the yellow...

No right turns on red lights. These are popping up even faster. Last time I looked the sign entering our city read Toronto and not Montreal. What is the point of this crap. Did the powers that be just decide people are no longer smart enough to make a judgement as to whether a car is coming from the opposite direction? These are just slowing over congested traffic even more.

No right turns on side streets. Never heard of this? Funny me neither. Maybe that's why I wasn't looking for any signs that would alert me to such an infraction. I got a ticket for this one fine day. Before the officer got back to my car I was swearing out the window at him. I said, buddy you can see my licence says I'm from a small town 1200 km's from here. Why would I be looking for no turn signs that have never existed before. There is enough to pay attention to while driving and a gazillion other signs which are hard to keep track of as it is.
I won't even bother getting into the no left turn signs that make it impossible to get around the block without driving 10 blocks downtown, and for which I was fined $90 for awhile ago. Cause you know those signs over on the side AFTER the corner rather than hanging above the street are so visible with cars beside you blocking them...

Streetcars. Somebody explain to me why these monstrosities that replaced horses and wagons are still being used? I can't go on with life without a good reason. Is it the nostalgia factor? All they do is slow down traffic!!
The worst is the St. Clair fiasco. What are we on now, year 3 of revamping those lines. Please please could you extend that construction to a 5th year? So your going to turn a major artery moving traffic east and west across the city to one lane. lolerskates...
All your doing is moving traffic to the smaller residential side streets which is what I've been using for over a year now near St. Clair. And that's with constant stop signs, speed bumps and kids I nearly run over. Still more bang for my buck...

Traffic police. I wouldn't have a problem with these guys if their motive was to dissuade speeding etc. But it has become obvious they are simply a cash grab. They sit in the spots where the speed limit drops unexpectedly, and pull over 3 or 4 cars at a time. I wonder if the police work with insurance companies? hah

I won't rant to much about parking ticets either cause it's usually my fault. Although last year about 15% were not my fault. And when you have $2000 in parking tickets, 15% is enough to complain about. The best was when I came back from vacation to find my car missing from it's spot on the street where I park with a valid permit. I was about to call the cops reporting my car stolen only to notice it across the other side of bathurst. There are 3 tickets on the window and a washed out notice that I need to move my car for sidewalk construction. So they had towed it into a Metered parking spot down the street! lol

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ok so if I got this right....

you want to speed through a red light, while turning right onto a sidestreet through a bike lane, running down children and drinking open liquor the entire time?

fight the power, dude!

driving is a fucking privelege. don't forget that.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Seriously maybe you need to

1. Pay more attention to signs when driving
2. Not run red lights
3. Park legally

People need to be discouraged from driving downtown and encouraged to use public transit.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Red light cameras

Wow, nice rant.

Red light cameras only give a ticket when you enter an intersection on red. The thiking is that the light holds yellow long enough for you to stop before entering the intersection. The bad weather scenario doesn't really hold up, because you should have adjusted your driving speeds to suit weather conditions.

I hate douchbags who run reads. BTW: I am well aware that stopping on a yellow can get you in trouble, I drive a motorcycle and must always watch out for being rear ended. However, you learn to adjust your driving without have to run reds. The digital count downs on lights makes it even easier to judge when the lights are going to change.

Learn how to drive.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Wow, nice rant.

Red light cameras only give a ticket when you enter an intersection on red. The thiking is that the light holds yellow long enough for you to stop before entering the intersection. The bad weather scenario doesn't really hold up, because you should have adjusted your driving speeds to suit weather conditions.

I hate douchbags who run reads. BTW: I am well aware that stopping on a yellow can get you in trouble, I drive a motorcycle and must always watch out for being rear ended. However, you learn to adjust your driving without have to run reds. The digital count downs on lights makes it even easier to judge when the lights are going to change.

Learn how to drive.
You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't even in the car when I was charged with running a red light!

Liability

TRIBE Member
You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't even in the car when I was charged with running a red light!
Uhhh, I believe you said you weren't in the car for one of them.

For the other, ask the person driving to pay the ticket. Better yet, don't lend your car to shitty drivers.

derek

TRIBE Member
i don't have any issues with the red light cameras. i hear your logic on slamming the breaks in bad weather versus just going through the yellow, but how many times a year could this possibly happen (none to me this year, i commute from east york to PIA daily)? and if you loan your car out, go after whomever generated the ticket.

not right hand turns on reds have been around a few spots for years. not sure which lights are now restricted, but it can't be that bad. just wait for the light to change.

the no turns on side streets ain't new. it's designed to keep rush hour traffic on major streets and off smaller residential ones. but, i could see how somebody from out of town might get confused by the signs.

construction's a bitch, but always has been. nothing new here. yeah, the street car lanes are tricky, but if we made it through spadina, we'll make it though st clair

the one thing i've learned driving in this city for over 20 years, is you gots to chill.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
a person with the username Liability is making valid points to a dude who complains about things that are supposed to make the public safe.

I like amusing lunch hours.

Colm

TRIBE Member
But c'mon now. I've found it more dangerous to not run a red light sometimes. If the speed limit is 80 km/hour and it's raining and you are almost at the light and it turns yellow it is worse to slam the brakes than to hope you make the yellow...
Now it's been 8 years since I've lived in Ontario so my mind's eye is a lil foggy, but where in the hell do you have an 80 limit with apparently difficult to see traffic lights?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Now it's been 8 years since I've lived in Ontario so my mind's eye is a lil foggy, but where in the hell do you have an 80 limit with apparently difficult to see traffic lights?
It doesn't sound like he reads signs so likely the speed limit was a guess.

Maui

TRIBE Member
i don't have any issues with the red light cameras. i hear your logic on slamming the breaks in bad weather versus just going through the yellow, but how many times a year could this possibly happen (none to me this year, i commute from east york to PIA daily)?
I drive a lot. Probably 10 times more than you do. So am I going to blow one or two red lights in a year. Sorry yes I am. People make mistakes.
Anyway, I don't disagree that running red lights is bad. I just don't like technology taking control of laws rather than first person observation and ticket issuing.

not right hand turns on reds have been around a few spots for years. not sure which lights are now restricted, but it can't be that bad. just wait for the light to change.
It's a lot now. This is very recent. I'm expecting it to be all of em any day now.

the one thing i've learned driving in this city for over 20 years, is you gots to chill.
Oh I'm chill. I don't actually get excited at all while driving.
I just like to rant. :)

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Anyway, I don't disagree that running red lights is bad. I just don't like technology taking control of laws rather than first person observation and ticket issuing.
Yeah, because this is whats going on: