• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Driverless cars

Stop Bill C-10

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
As a "car guy" adding my two irrelevant cents...I am not a fan of self driving cars at this point. I personally love to drive. I was just telling my co worker that I get excited every morning knowing I get to go for a drive. I also take the long way to and from work so I can extend my time behind the wheel.

I do however enjoy some of the technology that is being developed to assist drivers. For example my current car is full of sensors and lights that tell me anytime another car is around me, it does the braking for me if I fail to brake on time, the steering wheel vibrates if I leave my lane, the car parks itself and it even wakes me up if the car senses I am falling asleep. I have certainly come to enjoy these options and in some ways I am starting to rely on them.

As for the car completely taking over, I hope we do not see this technology in my driving life time. I understand the benefits of reducing gridlock and accidents and pedestrian and vehicle collisions..etc. I also understand it will give these vehicle owners more time to sit back and relax or catch up on work as they are transported to work or wherever they are venturing out to. We also cant forget the disappearance of road rage ;)

My concerns would be purchase price and cost to maintain these vehicles. I know with technology moving at the rate it is, this is inevitable but I am not sold on the idea simply because of the pure joy I get from driving my car.

demolition-man-car.jpg

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
They've had driverless cars all along, but we call them busses.

I'll be driving my regular car. Sorry to interrupt your LAN party.

Last edited:

acheron

TRIBE Member
I look forward to separate lanes for driverless "trains" of semi trailers speeding along at 200kph.

As to driverless commuter vehicles - only once a master traffic computer can be implemented to sort them all out. You get in your vehicle, then log in to the traffic network and input your destination - the vehicle is then grabbed by the network and integrated in to the flow of traffic in the most efficient way possible...

The cars themselves really don't need to be autonomous - but we do need them to be able to report their surroundings accurately and the controller needs to be able to react properly.

lobo

TRIBE Member
As a "car guy" adding my two irrelevant cents...I am not a fan of self driving cars at this point. I personally love to drive. I was just telling my co worker that I get excited every morning knowing I get to go for a drive. I also take the long way to and from work so I can extend my time behind the wheel.

I do however enjoy some of the technology that is being developed to assist drivers. For example my current car is full of sensors and lights that tell me anytime another car is around me, it does the braking for me if I fail to brake on time, the steering wheel vibrates if I leave my lane, the car parks itself and it even wakes me up if the car senses I am falling asleep. I have certainly come to enjoy these options and in some ways I am starting to rely on them.

As for the car completely taking over, I hope we do not see this technology in my driving life time. I understand the benefits of reducing gridlock and accidents and pedestrian and vehicle collisions..etc. I also understand it will give these vehicle owners more time to sit back and relax or catch up on work as they are transported to work or wherever they are venturing out to. We also cant forget the disappearance of road rage ;)

My concerns would be purchase price and cost to maintain these vehicles. I know with technology moving at the rate it is, this is inevitable but I am not sold on the idea simply because of the pure joy I get from driving my car.

demolition-man-car.jpg

What kind of vehicle do you have that has all that technological wonder? :)

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
The problem with driverless cars is road conditions. They rely heavily on visual road cues to be effective and have gotten extremely confused in rain and snow.

In seriously controlled, clear environments, they have proven to be safer than human drivers, but given a snowfall, they are absolutely useless.

Puma

TRIBE Member
One issue that I see with these driver less cars is that when something goes wrong and the computer crashes and there is an accident that will not be the drivers fault . It will be the car company's fault. Driverless cars will end the need for car insurance and place all the liability on to the manufacturer. Do manufacturers want that liability and will insurance companies go out of business ?

dig this

TRIBE Member
I love to drive, but I love the idea of driverless cars, or maybe the fantasy of it. I think about road trips with friends were you can have fun the whole way down and back; no more DD; sleep a little longer on the way to work; driving back from Harvest!! I like to think of it as having my own personal chauffeur.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
The problem with driverless cars is road conditions. They rely heavily on visual road cues to be effective and have gotten extremely confused in rain and snow.

In seriously controlled, clear environments, they have proven to be safer than human drivers, but given a snowfall, they are absolutely useless.

I hear ya. My sensors tend to go crazy when its heavily snowing. Almost to the point of annoying.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Eventually I think we'll get to a point where, if there is a central traffic network, then all vehicles should ideally be talking to eachother and about eachother to the network, meaning that even if one of your vehicle's sensors is malfunctioning, the sensors on vehicles or objects nearby may be able to compensate with their own signals.

acheron

TRIBE Member
lol. could be achieved through RFID carried on-person or static sensor arrays placed at intervals through urban areas.

(once we all get over this surveillance paranoia of course....)

Karim

TRIBE Member
Everyones cell phones are already feeding location data back to the carriers who in turn sell it to Google. How do you think they know about traffic in google maps?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
What wouldn't be cool is if these things rely on a live connection to the Internet in order to function (eg. for maps).

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Wouldn't be cool if you could just drop into these things and sleep for longer in the morning while it takes you to work? It would acquire local knowledge from swarms robots which would feed from RFID from each vehicle, with inputs from Google maps or the city grid, to keep it on track and avoid collisions. Completely automated. No human input just takes care of itself. Of course it would be connected to the internet, so you could work or listen to music or whatever, but mainly to function so it knows where it is.

I think the concept in Minority Report was that people could only drive with a license, otherwise you had to take a connected vehicle. The thinking being that connected vehicles would be safer :)insurance) and more predictable and useful in the most common use cases. Only when you wanted to go off the grid or somewhere that hasn't been mapped adequately would you take control.

I think it's closer than we realize, but who knows.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Audi rs7

Surprised no ones posted this yet: The audi Driverless car. Just drove to vegas.

It uses GPS maps, then all sorts of sensors to navigate the road. 3D cameras, and everything.

It actually learns as it goes.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Surprised no ones posted this yet: The audi Driverless car. Just drove to vegas.

It uses GPS maps, then all sorts of sensors to navigate the road. 3D cameras, and everything.

It actually learns as it goes.

Hopefully it can fight crime and talk to you in a pleasant voice.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I picture the soothing voice of HAL 9000 telling me that sorry dave, you can't stop here. It's bat country.

acheron

TRIBE Member
it's already possible to get custom voices (like movie stars) for GPS... it would be awesome if this became optional equipment you could get at your dealership. Like having Kiefer Sutherland (or Donald Sutherland! Imagine!) be the voice of your Volvo or GM car.

I'd think I'd go with Scarlett Johannson for my Explorer... After seeing "Her" I kinda want Scarlett in my head all day long... "hey, you know what? you need more washer fluid. how can you even see the road right now? there's a canadian tire two blocks from here. let's go get some!"