• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

drink prices

kuba

TRIBE Member
When did $14 cocktails become the new norm in Toronto?

I must've missed the lat 5 years because I remember $10 being a pretty good price but now everywhere I look, mid teens to high teens is the new bar.

No pun intended.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I've noticed that high priced drinks is gradually becoming the norm. For beers, places like Town Crier are still great for selection and price. Cocktails will always be more of course.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
good point acheron. but i still wasn't drunk. went to carbon bar and some place dw wellington or something on church and front. on a tuesday night, to boot.

djfear

TRIBE Member
cocktail prices these days seem to be in the $10-16 range depending on where you go. At some places they're really worth the price and the drinks are absolutely amazing. At other places I wouldn't want to touch an $8 cocktail because it's just a sad state of affairs in a glass.

It's all about finding the best value and quality.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Are you intentionally trying to Rile me up? I have shit to do today ya know!

The drink prices are getting ridiculous. The last few times I went to parties, which I believe were Promise and Lily, beers were $8. Go ahead do what you want, but I will become more subversive and always win in the end.

Oh and a big F U to the waitress at Lily downstairs who wouldn't give me a cup of water. I told her I needed it badly as I wasn't feeling well and she refused. I said it's the fucking law bitch. I can't remember her excuse exactly but it was effing retarded like the dishwasher couldn't be turned back on or something...
So I turn around and stand there glaring pissed for a few mins. Some dude walks up and she pours him a cup of water. I go over and call her on that. She says that was a co - worker and for some reason she could serve him water. wtf. This was all after I'd been tipping her for the beers earlier. So I stood there and reached over the counter and grabbed a cup when she turned around. Stupid cunt.

P.S My friend from up north invited my friends and I to Bar Chef one night. The beers we ordered (because we're not homosexual cocktail drinking mofo's) cost $10.75. WTF. She hasn't stopped hearing about that 2 years later. What a pretentious hipster douchbag venue if I ever saw one in all my life.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Have wholesale liquor prices gone up that dramatically to justify those prices? (dunno, I don't drink)

To me it sounds like the same thing that's happening with the relatively stable price of oil per barrel vs. the continuously rising cost of litres of gas at the pump - gouging.

djfear

TRIBE Member

The drink prices are getting ridiculous. The last few times I went to parties, which I believe were Promise and Lily, beers were $8. Go ahead do what you want, but I will become more subversive and always win in the end.

Oh and a big F U to the waitress at Lily downstairs who wouldn't give me a cup of water. I told her I needed it badly as I wasn't feeling well and she refused. I said it's the fucking law bitch. I can't remember her excuse exactly but it was effing retarded like the dishwasher couldn't be turned back on or something...
So I turn around and stand there glaring pissed for a few mins. Some dude walks up and she pours him a cup of water. I go over and call her on that. She says that was a co - worker and for some reason she could serve him water. wtf. This was all after I'd been tipping her for the beers earlier. So I stood there and reached over the counter and grabbed a cup when she turned around. Stupid cunt.

P.S My friend from up north invited my friends and I to Bar Chef one night. The beers we ordered (because we're not homosexual cocktail drinking mofo's) cost $10.75. WTF. She hasn't stopped hearing about that 2 years later. What a pretentious hipster douchbag venue if I ever saw one in all my life.
That water experience is bullshit. Any respectable bartender or waiter/waitress should provide water when requested, and unless asked I think it should be free.

Beers should also be generally uniform in price, as the act of pouring a pint that you had no hand in making should keep these prices normal, though certain establishments get away with higher prices based on certain reasons, one being to maintain a certain clientele.

As for the cocktails at Bar Chef... if they were homosexuality-inducing, then by all means, put me on a float for Pride Parade, because they were damn good! :p

djfear

TRIBE Member
Salt on Ossington makes a smoked Manhattan that is EXCELLENT - easily a replacement when you factor in it's 1/3 the cost :)
I'll definitely check it out. I really liked the one in Bar Chef, and even though I see how they can justify the price, I'd rather try more things at lower prices than drop a $50 and still have to take tip into account.

But let's break down the cocktail experience... If some Joe Shmoe bartender throws in a shot of tequila, some apple drink, and some ice cubes - that, a cocktail does not make. That should be like... $6.50, and even then I wouldn't buy it.

When your cocktail takes about 5 minutes to make, where the chef takes a magnifying glass to each fig leaf being used, and where the bar has over 80 different bitters at their disposal, then yah, I think it's appropriate to charge a little more for that cocktail. Especially when it's a well balanced and new tasting experience for you.

The key here is going to a place that has bartenders that specialize in cocktails and know what the hell they're doing. There are lots of restaurants and bars that have cocktail lists but all you get is a disappointment for $15.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Also, someone needs to get dj globalkiller on the phone to make sense of all this. Where is globalkiller???

Help us Robin...

And Kuba, I'm not sure. I haven't been on top of the restaurant / cocktail bar game this year. :(

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Also, someone needs to get dj globalkiller on the phone to make sense of all this. Where is globalkiller???

Help us Robin...

And Kuba, I'm not sure. I haven't been on top of the restaurant / cocktail bar game this year. :(
wasn't he banned for promoting his pub.

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I'll definitely check it out. I really liked the one in Bar Chef, and even though I see how they can justify the price, I'd rather try more things at lower prices than drop a $50 and still have to take tip into account.

But let's break down the cocktail experience... If some Joe Shmoe bartender throws in a shot of tequila, some apple drink, and some ice cubes - that, a cocktail does not make. That should be like... $6.50, and even then I wouldn't buy it.

When your cocktail takes about 5 minutes to make, where the chef takes a magnifying glass to each fig leaf being used, and where the bar has over 80 different bitters at their disposal, then yah, I think it's appropriate to charge a little more for that cocktail. Especially when it's a well balanced and new tasting experience for you.

The key here is going to a place that has bartenders that specialize in cocktails and know what the hell they're doing. There are lots of restaurants and bars that have cocktail lists but all you get is a disappointment for $15.
The salt Manhattan was easily 90+% as good as bar chef - haven't been to bar chef in a long time though.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member

Bro, It's unlawful for them to refuse you a glass of water. You should have asked to speak to a manager or at least written to them about it.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Salt on Ossington makes a smoked Manhattan that is EXCELLENT - easily a replacement when you factor in it's 1/3 the cost :)
Also, the atomic daiquiri is incredible. It also gets you shitfaced... very quickly. I know several of the staff there, most notably one of the servers. I sat down, and they poured me two atomic's. When I stood up I almost fell to the ground; I could not believe how drunk I got so quickly. It was awesome.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Bro, It's unlawful for them to refuse you a glass of water. You should have asked to speak to a manager or at least written to them about it.
I know it is...nevermind water, I usually make food requests cause I know that's the law and I like to get some salt in If I'm partying for extended hours. Anyway, I got my cup. I should have told one of the bouncers, they were really cool all night.

It was a weird night. Prior to this episode, some dude standing behind us kept bumping into us. He wasn't even really dancing I don't think. So we'd move and he would end up beside us again bumping into us constantly. I was like is this really happening and if so how and why? It got to the point that I could only assume he was doing it on purpose. There was wide open space all around us. So my friends cleared way far away from him..like outside for a smoke, and he does it to me again. And I"m not one to ever cause any kind of trouble at house music dance party but I snapped. I turned around and said "buddy if you bump into me one more time I'm gonna knock you the fuck out". lol. I could have started out with a nicer request I guess but It's beyond me what was going on. They acted startled and moved away for good. Jeeez was that so hard....

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories