• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dried Apricots

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
They have a lot of natural-occuring sugar in them - I wouldn't binge too hard on 'em because sugar (even from fruits) isn't good for you in high doses.

Have you ever noticed that dried apricots, or apricot juice especially, smells like stinky feet? I told this to someone who like apricots once and they havn't ate one since... hope I'm not ruining your new found addiction :)

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i just smelled inside the bag...its not that bad actually - but i know what youre talking about. apricot breath is deadly.....

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
They have a lot of natural-occuring sugar in them - I wouldn't binge too hard on 'em because sugar (even from fruits) isn't good for you in high doses.

Have you ever noticed that dried apricots, or apricot juice especially, smells like stinky feet? I told this to someone who like apricots once and they havn't ate one since... hope I'm not ruining your new found addiction :)
That is true about the sugar content in dried fruit. In fact most dried apricots that you buy in grocery stores have a fair bit of preservatives in them as well. When you buy dried apricots at the health food store they are brown and taste more like big raisins.

Also dried apricots are high in iron.

My 2 cents.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I like dried prunes and grapefruit for fibre.

Although I dont need too much help in that department being a vegetarian.

whatsnewpussycat

TRIBE Member
Be careful with over-indulging- the preservative is sulphur dioxide.

Here is some info:

Dried apricots may be treated with sulfur dioxide gas during processing. They may also be treated with sulfites to extend their shelf life.

Sulfur-containing compounds are often added to dried foods like apricots as preservatives to help prevent oxidation and bleaching of colors. The sulfites used to help preserve dried apricots cause adverse reactions in an estimated one out of every 100 people, who turn out to be sulfite sensitive.

Sulfite reactions can be particularly acute in people who suffer from asthma. The Federal Food and Drug Administration estimates that 5 percent of asthmatics may suffer a reaction when exposed to sulfites. Instead of the bright orange color of sulfite-treated dried apricots, unsulfured dried apricots have brown color, but are a much healthier choice for sulfite-sensitive individuals.

P.S. I love em too. I try to grab the organic kinds along with raisins but raisins have a laxative effect if you eat too many.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
whatsnewpussycat said:
Be careful with over-indulging- the preservative is sulphur dioxide.

Here is some info:

Dried apricots may be treated with sulfur dioxide gas during processing. They may also be treated with sulfites to extend their shelf life.

Sulfur-containing compounds are often added to dried foods like apricots as preservatives to help prevent oxidation and bleaching of colors. The sulfites used to help preserve dried apricots cause adverse reactions in an estimated one out of every 100 people, who turn out to be sulfite sensitive.

Sulfite reactions can be particularly acute in people who suffer from asthma. The Federal Food and Drug Administration estimates that 5 percent of asthmatics may suffer a reaction when exposed to sulfites. Instead of the bright orange color of sulfite-treated dried apricots, unsulfured dried apricots have brown color, but are a much healthier choice for sulfite-sensitive individuals.

P.S. I love em too. I try to grab the organic kinds along with raisins but raisins have a laxative effect if you eat too many.
Ah, a person who know their stuff..awesome.

Did you read my post near the top of the page..great minds think alike. I love when people know nutrition info. I like to know what is in everything I eat.

whatsnewpussycat

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
Ah, a person who know their stuff..awesome.

Did you read my post near the top of the page..great minds think alike. I love when people know nutrition info. I like to know what is in everything I eat.
Thanks. I did catch your post- good points on the nutritional value. I am trying to be educated about everything I eat too but it is really hard. There is A LOT of information out there especially when you are eating for optimal health and high nutritional value-which it seems like you are doing as well.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
whatsnewpussycat said:
Thanks. I did catch your post- good points on the nutritional value. I am trying to be educated about everything I eat too but it is really hard. There is A LOT of information out there especially when you are eating for optimal health and high nutritional value-which it seems like you are doing as well.

Indeed.

I am all about eating very high quality nutritional foods. Also nutrition just peaks my curiousity. So I am constantly reading up on it.