• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

DREAMS: do you remember?

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
I never dream about strangers... but I have a lot of dreams that predict things. Like that my cousin was going to have a baby (she got pregnant 1 month later), that my grandmother was going to die (she passed away 1 month later), that my friend was going to get married (she got engaged 1 month later).... and more.

But more often than not, I confuse my dreams with reality. I think ila posted something about this... where she thinks things happened, but she really just dreamed them. That happens to me all the time. I've even started to dislike people in real life for stuff they've done in my dreams.
I'm exactly the same way. I find that it can sometimes get confusing as to whether or not something was dreamt or something was reality just because my dreams tend to be very realistic.

I've also discovered that I can to some extent control my dreams. It's not like I can will something to happen in my dreams but I can definitely change the direction that a dream takes. I mainly do this in nightmares where if I feel something bad coming on I will try to mess things up so that it can't actually happen. I had a nightmare last week where I was in a videogame world and to get myself out of the dream I forced myself to climb over a fence and outside of the world (kind of like you would climb out of a computer screen if you were in a game - it made no sense but was pretty cool and ended the nightmare pretty quickly).

I also tend to remember most of my dreams. I try to remember my dreams shortly after waking up - I use this as a little morning memory exercise where I jog my memory to see how much I can remember of my dreams. I don't really think about my dreams much other than to try to remember them.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
FoxyM said:
I don't really think about my dreams much other than to try to remember them.
I know what you mean. But every once in a while, I have a dream that really sticks in my head for a long time (like days or weeks). And those are the ones that I tend to think about.

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
I know what you mean. But every once in a while, I have a dream that really sticks in my head for a long time (like days or weeks). And those are the ones that I tend to think about.
yeah, i know what you mean. Sometimes in the process of remembering exactly what a dream was about the more realistic ones have a way of making me think about things I'd rather not think about. I hate these because they seem to haunt me for days and no matter what I do, I just can't shake the feeling.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Regarding a "predictive" dream: since dreaming is semi-random brain activity untied to actual [physical, sensory] activity, at some point in your life (could be daily even!), that semi-random pattern will "match" [in terms of pattern only] a real-life event (e.g. someone you know getting pregnant) enough that the confabulatory mechanism will be triggered, thereby having you exclaim,"Oh... I dreamt about that!"...

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
rave jedi said:
I just woke up from a bad dream that happened not more than an hour ago. My deceased uncle on my father's side some how withdrew everything in my Mom's bank account and left her only $25. Have no idea how he was able to get into her account, but he wiped out my mother's life savings. :mad:
Ever since I had this awful dream in January, I've been very scared about this happening. Just learned from my sister today that some valuable family jewellery is 'missing' from our safety deposit box. Total mystery.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I've really made an effort over the past 5 years to remember my dreams, the people in them, and general themes.

To each his own. Some people consider dreams to be nothing more then an organizing and filing function of day to day activities. But to me they're very important and very insightful, I'm of the opinion that the dream state is another form of existence, along with the physical state and the deep sleep state.

I think...actually ...i know, I've been fortunate enough to meet with my spirit guide on a number of occasions during pivotal points in my life.

It takes a while to learn how to read and interpret dreams, but eventually with practice things will start to clarify. I'm a dead sleeper so my alarm goes off for ages before I wake up. I've found that the 15 minutes between first hearing the alarm to the time I actually come-to is when I'm able to retain a few of the memories. If you meditate for 20 mins right when you wake up it'll help to bring you sort of back into the headspace. There are beacons that will stand out...a word, an animal, a person, the environment, etc......

stew

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Dreams = unconscious problem solving screensaver for my grey matter CPU.
"No Oneiromancy please we're British!" :p

I used to be able to force lucid dreams as a kid though, that was the best. Being aware of dreaming and with the ability to alter it at any point, in any way.

OwenThomas

TRIBE Promoter
workdowntown said:
Dreams = unconscious problem solving screensaver for my grey matter CPU.
"No Oneiromancy please we're British!" :p

I used to be able to force lucid dreams as a kid though, that was the best. Being aware of dreaming and with the ability to alter it at any point, in any way.

isn't there a scene in this movie where the kid meets a bunch of "dreamers" that spend all their time trying to develope that skill?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_Life
Would be pretty cool if you could total control your dreams....would there be a need for reality? i guessed you'd just need someone to feed you and clean your shit and piss while you sleep all day lol.

rhyss

TRIBE Member
I am starting to remember dreams now that I am pregnant. I had a creepy dream this week about my skin being elastic and when the baby moved I could see a hand, a foot, a head pushing through the elastic skin.

Freaky!

ila

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
But more often than not, I confuse my dreams with reality. I think ila posted something about this... where she thinks things happened, but she really just dreamed them. That happens to me all the time. I've even started to dislike people in real life for stuff they've done in my dreams.
yah! Last week I had a dream that I punked the father of the groom at his son's wedding. I was all like, "get your shit together you, fuck up" right in the middle of the dance floor. I spent the next day freaking out about it because sometimes I get saucy when drunk and pull shit like that.

Thankfully, I've heard nothing about it since so I'm sure it didn't happen. Anyway yeah, whenever I drink I confuse dreams with reality really bad. I do it occasionally when sober too but not as much.

As for dreaming soulmates, I dunno what that's about. whenever I have a dream about someone in my life they appear as a complete stranger or as like an animal or a cartoon. Last night I had a dream about my boyfriend and in it he was a time traveling cartoon robot. haha...hot.

screamy

TRIBE Member
My dreams are usually quite vivid and typically sort of bizarre, at least for me. I remember fragments, sometimes larger chunks of the "plot". I can "replay" them like a movie in my head (doesn't that sound odd!).

What's weird is that there are parts that are clearly "mental digestion", it's obvious to me *while I'm dreaming* that that's the case...I'm not sure if that's lucid dreaming or not (I think lucid refers to being able to direct the dream). That's the "oh, so and so asked me X today, there's a memory of that happening..." part.

When it's more stuff that my brain seems to want me to notice, or reflect upon, it piques my interest or confuses me plot-wise, so that I try to figure it out when I wake up.

Re-reading this, I'm already laughing at myself....there is such a divide between the "it's the soul trying to tell you something" and the "it's the sleeping equivalent of your small intestine at work, nothing more" camps. I doubt people will ever agree on what dreams mean. :eek:

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i would have to sleep to remember my dreams, and that doesnt happen consistently or for long periods of time, and lately when i do sleep its as though im an old cell phone, and the battery just cant keep its charge, but since im a nokia, i can survive forever on what is essentially 1 % apparently

sigh

if i did dream and remember it, i have a feeling it would feel out of the ordinary, i would in all likelihood have the sneaking suspision my sub conscious was trying to be clever, and just fucking with me on more than one level.

[jai]

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I remember 90% of my dreams.
They're all in colour except for a few that are in sepia.
And if it's a dream about death, I always die. I don't wake up before.

Sometimes I can lucid dream. Which is great.

Last night I dreamt that I was going to be meet my friend at a party on Yonge Street but I had to do karaoke with my other friend Henry instead but my home which was converted into a karaoke bar was infested with giant spiders and millipedes.

See? No one fucking cares about your dreams. Stop talking about them.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Michlerish said:
Postmod, I agree with your theory on dreams. So why can't you think about your dreams as a part of your subconscious? Your dreams may be telling you something about your real life that you haven't consciously thought about.

The Jungians take it even further by saying that dreams are something you need to know the meaning of in waking life. They say that great wisdom is concealed in the symbolic language of your dreams, and incorporating the learnings into your waking life is key.

I have found an excellent book that outlines this and and describes the Jungian dream analysis process in a clear and non-clinical way, and provides clear instuctions on how to incorporate the dream learnings into your life. I have been using the process for about 6 months and it works for me.

The book is Inner Work by Robert Johnson

Caversham Booksellers on Harbord will have it.

derek

TRIBE Member
is somewhat of an instruction guide to facility lucid dreaming. while i don't remember my dreams, i'm sure i do dream, and believe at a subconscious level there is recollection. sort of like when you experience deja vu. the archetypes are there at least.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
There is no such thing as "subconscious" (and therefore "conscious"); these are remnants of old-school stupid psychology, part of mechanical philosophy (read: "the brain is like a computer"), and ought to be tossed.

What there is: verbal vs. nonverbal.

stryker

TRIBE Member
I had a very revealing dream this morning, I motored back home to post....

My alarm went off at 9am, I regained conciousness for what seemed like 10-20 seconds and then I passed out again.

In that short window I remember vividly an image and fragments of the dream. I can't actually remember what the content or context of the dream was, but I do remember a very vivid beacon.

It was a tall, blond, blue-eyed fitness queen straifing across the stage smiling away in the middle of the routine. The subjectivity of the dream is very hard to translate into text, but the main take away I got from the dream was:

tall, blonde, blue-eyed fitness queen, smiling on stage doing her routine. Not a body builder, not a dancer, not a black girl, brown girl, asian girl, etc....

What it all meant, I had no idea. I just took notice of the things of import and filed away in my brain.

I didn't give the image a second thought and went back to sleep.

I crawled out of bed about an hour ago and went to Swiss Chalet for a very dry baby spinach and chicken salad in an attempt to cure my hangover.

As is usually the case on days like today, while I was sitting in the booth I was in a very heavy inner dialogue about the most pressing matters in my life right now.

I'm toying with the idea of making some very major life changes over the next year and half. Path X will provide security, stability and carer progress. Not a bad option by any standard..but...deep down, I know that I want to take another path....Path Y

Path Y is a variable, with huge risks and a whole lot of uncertainty, but I think it's what I really want to do....and I think I can pull it off.

I'm sitting in the booth, rambling away to myself.

"I really think I'm going to take the plunge and pursue Path Y. I've been toying around with the idea for years, but I think it's about time I put up or shut up.

God, if I only had some kind of sign...some kind of something... to let me know that I am making the right decision and not fucking my life up"

At that very instant....that very instant.....the bartender switched the channel on tv.

Guess what was on the screen?

A tall blond, blue-eyed fitness queen smiling away straifing across the stage in the middle of her routine.

The was all the verification that I needed.

In a nutshell, this is my opinion of one of the functions of dreaming. Incorporating the symbology to give guidance and direction in the waking life.

Shit like this happens all the time and this what gives me the resolve to march by the beat of my own drum :_)

stew

derek

TRIBE Member
trepanation doesn't just get rid bad dreams, it'll be the new in-look for the hipsters in 2009.

i don't know much about the new psychology, but realize it's all just theory (old / new, perhaps, the new is a more cohesive understanding of the structure). although, i do recall reading about verbal / non-verbal modes of perception somewhere, perhaps hauser's, 'moral minds'.

other than that the last book i read on the topic was john c lilly's: programming the human biocomputer, and it was published in the 60s. i'm so behind the times.