• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Downloading: I am at my wits end

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Okay so I have used every Downloading software possible it seems... soulseek, DC++, Kazaalite and my download speeds are absolute shit and i don't know what to do anymore.

So I need your advice.

I use sympatico... I work for bell... I know my central office is less than a km away and I know my line's sync rate is 6 (which is the highest a line can have).... yet I am thinking myself lucky if I can achieve a dl speed of 8kb/s... I used to have almost as good on dial up 5 years ago.

Does anyone know anything that may be fucking me up? My comp isn't a rocket launcher but it is okay and it certainly isn't filled with shit... I use it most for email and music that's all.

Opinions are welcome.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
start your downloading after hours...that's what I do and the speeds are coming in ok...about 30/kps...that's not bad anymore
Peak times shouldnt affect your DSL like it does cable. It's probably just better at night cause your not surfing and gaming hogging all the recsourses.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AVE

TRIBE Member
what about downloading off of websites?

you have very little control over transfer speeds when using peer to peer programs.

If you are downloading 8kb/s off websites, then you have a problem.

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
I know that Rogers will block your ports and try to screw you (slow you down). Like using Bit Torrent, I was slow, then I changed the ports and whammo!

Maybe try changing your ports for programs. My best guess, I'm no IT dude. Try running spy-bot, that might help (?)

deep

TRIBE Member
that's pretty shitty performance jamie - have you called technical support ? I know you're not a noob when it comes to the technical stuff but it definitely sounds as though something significant is fucked up if you're getting 8 KB/s.

Some possibilities :

- trojans somehow chewing up bandwidth
- oversold capacity for your area
- some kind of line problem that wouldn't be indicated by sync rate

I haven't heard of sympatico throttling bandwidth on p2p ports, but some smaller isps (like Nuthin But Net) definitely do this.

mind control

TRIBE Member
Do a speedtest @ http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

If speed checks out here then it could just be the programs you are using . How long have you had your dsl modem ? I would call Bell and get them to run a test to see how hard your modem is working etc ...

Did you add any new phones/devices without putting the filters on them ? Do you have any cordless phones ? Is the base near the modem ? Direct TV ? Home alarm system ? So many devices cause interference on a dsl modem .....

I do support for an adsl isp .....