• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dove soap sucks and here's why

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Putting a woman in a room and getting her to criticize her own appearances by tapping into deep personal self esteem issues in front of a man hidden behind a curtain to sell more soap is plain evil, if you ask me.

I don't know what saddens me more; the lengths companies will go to, to sell more stuff, or that women are actually falling for this psychological manipulation and retweeting and sharing it to all their friends on facebook.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I suppose the big question is, does the ad have a valid point? The impact that it, as well as Dove's other ads in that style, has had would seem to suggest that yes, it does.

The message of the ad is a positive one. Not sure if it really drives sales for them but isn't this kind of thing better than the beauty-myth ones that cosmetic companies usually employ? As in, you're ugly, use our products to make yourself beautiful. Dove's approach is, you're already beautiful, use our products to a) stay clean and b) stay beautiful.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Siding with acheron on this one. In general most advertising is designed to make people feel like shit - lacking and wanting.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Firstly it's not for soap, it's for Dove Beauty, which are all the same products their competitors are selling; anti aging lotions, creams, balms, etc. but you're a dude so obviously you think it's just soap. :)

The irony however is not lost. Dove actually came under a lot of scrutiny and backlash from the industry when they launched this campaign (Dove for Real Beauty) about 8 yrs ago. This is one of the many tactics they've employed--remember the Gardiner Billboard where people texted to vote whether the woman in the ad was fat or fab? Or the model vid showing the industry glancing a normal chick up and airbrushing the shit out of her... They hatch really great idea for execution, (which is why these campaigns are so successful) and we all focus on that instead of the bullshit behind the real message.

Anyhooter, among all their competitors in a category of sameness they strategically launched this and certainly stood out. And they donate a shit ton of money to charities doing good work for causes supporting female leadership and teen self esteem.

All that to say, I find it unsavory and a lot of smoke and mirrors. You sell anti cellulite cream Dove (which is bullshit altogether), so please don't under a spotlight tell me you think my thunder thighs are gorgeous. I'd rather you try to convince me on why it works.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Boo I use dove stuff because other than Niva they are the pretty much one of the few who make Male products. Creams and lotions are always female centric. It's all probably the same ingredients but whatever fuck you.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
FYI Dove sells only soap and haircare products in Canada and the USA - I can't find any of the cream products on their website or retail listings...

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Staged, Contrived, Manipulative, Exploitive, Racist, Malicious...

BUY MORE THINGS, UGLY! Your success in work, love, and even the way you treat your children depends on you valuing yourself based on your appearance! BUY MORE THINGS!!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what the results would be if they did the same sketch artist thing with men. Much the same I suspect. Selling soap by highlighting a person's lack of self esteem is really tacky. I bet no matter how much soap these Dove advertising campaign people use, they will never get clean.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
It is a wonderful ad with a positive message about real beauty and distorted perceptions. It was not a hard-sell for Dove in the slightest, and I absolutely love the idea behind it.

I wish Asia (*cough Japan cough*) could take a cue from this, instead of promoting & celebrating anorexic 18 year old Russians, Japanese and other exploited models as examples of "standard" beauty.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
LOL @ fashion photographers deciding to have a problem with advertising and female self image this one time.

FFS.

octo

TRIBE Member
unilever also owns AXE. which advertises a contrasting message.

the redeeming aspect of it is that the people in charge of the Dove campaign actually feel good about their message and believe in the campaign, at the same time they have genuine angst at the fact that their brand promotes one image, meanwhile AXE is all sex appeal. from what i've heard it's a genuine internal debate.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I tried Dove just a month ago. It didn't help with the flaky skin, and it stunk up my room. The stench was unreal.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
They launched face care in Canada and the US about 6 yrs ago with too many skews, anti-aging being one of them. They thought by launching so many at once it would help gain market share in the category... Didn't work and they pulled them. They will likely relaunch again.

Re Axe--not really a struggle. Unilever has many brands with divergent positionings and product offerings.