• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Doug Ford, Premier

kyfe

TRIBE Member
gotta wonder how much fraud is actually going on, not specifically the PC's but the Libs too.

it's idiotic to assume Ontario generates so much tax revenue but doesn't spend on services.
this is clearly a mis-management issue, where is the money going?

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Corner store that sells beer

If I’m the local corner store owner, for me the last thing I would want is to start selling beer. Not sure that the extra revenue I’m going to make is worth the hassle of having to deal with a bunch of people coming in and trying to shoplift booze.

I’m at my local corner store all the time and they already have issues with kids coming in and stealing. Add beer into the mix and I can see a recipe for disaster. If the LCBO can’t stop people from stealing booze, why would I ask or expect my hard working corner store owner to do any better.

I’m all about freedom of choice but in this case, I’m good with Beer Store, LCBO, or any of the many grocery stores in my area.

Lazy, but not that lazy.

praktik

TRIBE Member
"government monopoly" also equals "in public/taxpayer hands"

But the people agitating for private takeovers here don't like to put it that way.

I wont mind having some convenience i guess but Im not a big alcohol drinker. I'd rather we get a revenue stream into public coffers and kept the Beer Store/beer market in public hands I guess - we already had an erosion/introduction of more private entities in this space right so for me what was wrong with that compromise?

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
gotta wonder how much fraud is actually going on, not specifically the PC's but the Libs too.

it's idiotic to assume Ontario generates so much tax revenue but doesn't spend on services.
Part of the problem is the transfer system. Toronto kicks up a tonne to QP & Ottawa that never comes back.

Doesn't help the ridings provincially and federally also short change cities...

praktik

TRIBE Member

Well we have been in a period of revenue cuts for almost 30 years, so it's entirely possible revenues arent high enough to cover all the government needs to cover with its spend.

Current deficit numbers support that.

Another perspective would be to suggest that perhaps voters asking for - and getting - revenue cuts for a few decades will eventually lead to 10th place per capita spending and deficits

praktik

TRIBE Member
Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one, maybe not surprising we're the lowest per capita spender:

"Conservatives also like to claim that taxes in Ontario are out of control, and a lot of voters surely feel that way. However, the unpleasant truth is that not only is Ontario Canada’s lowest-spending province – it also has a relatively low tax burden, and Confederation’s lowest per capita revenues."

Globe editorial: The Doug Ford government is peddling a fiscal fantasy

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
From the family that insisted that Rob Ford only had a weight problem.
It's like how WickedKen remains silent on all shit conservative, but heyyyy would ya get a load of what Trudeau iz doin' omg and Kathleen Win???

Yo, anyone hoo gives me a metropass is gettin' my vote. But not really, I don't actually vote. Just no point.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Ford: fuck Trudeau and the revenue neutral carbon tax. Also, gimme 11 billion for mah Subway.

(No plans BTW)

Last edited: